Victoria cattle

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Victoria cattle

Postby Muddy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:59 pm

Anyone still using Victoria bulls or cows? Basically 3/4 Hereford 1/4 Brahman composite. I thought they will makes great cattle with Brahman blood for cold climates.
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Re: Victoria cattle

Postby M.Magis » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:53 pm

Doesn’t seem like there would be much difference from a braford?
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:13 pm

I'm putting a f1 braford bull on a dozen Hereford cows as we speak. Didn't know they were called Victoria's.
Now I know...........
1 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:25 pm

Should be something like these.
Maybe they will grow up a little calmer being raised by the calmer Hereford cows. Maybe not.

https://youtu.be/8XfBNPjFR5I
0 x

David Crockett

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:52 pm

My brother had several back in the day. He purged all the ear from his herd a long time ago though. I personally thought it was the best cows he had. I've always thought a homo black simmental bull would add enough heterosis to be interesting. The ear'd be down there at 1/8 and be black hided.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:20 am

"Victorian Cattle" are a cross raised by Bob McCan here on the gulf coast. They are tough as nails cattle that will pack on the pounds but are big country cattle. There are videos of the ranch swimming them across the intracoastal to graze the islands.

Not sure why you would want them up north unless you have some rough country. The bulls across a herd of straight Hereford might do ok and could add some durability.

Better be a bulk buyer and get your name on the list. They have a slew of buyers that come in and buy 20, 30, 50 bulls a year. They usually get first pick.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:54 am

Brute 23 wrote:"Victorian Cattle" are a cross raised by Bob McCan here on the gulf coast. They are tough as nails cattle that will pack on the pounds but are big country cattle. There are videos of the ranch swimming them across the intracoastal to graze the islands.

Not sure why you would want up north
unless you have some rough country. The bulls across a herd of straight Hereford might do ok and could add some durability.

Better be a bulk buyer and get your name on the list. They have a slew of buyers that come in and buy 20, 30, 50 bulls a year. They usually get first pick.

Careful Brute. Comments like that may have fellers questioning your status as a brimmer pimp! :D
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:09 am

bball wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:"Victorian Cattle" are a cross raised by Bob McCan here on the gulf coast. They are tough as nails cattle that will pack on the pounds but are big country cattle. There are videos of the ranch swimming them across the intracoastal to graze the islands.

unless you have some rough country. The bulls across a herd of straight Hereford might do ok and could add some durability.

Careful Brute. Comments like that may have fellers questioning your status as a brimmer pimp! :D

Guess I should be more specific. :D I don't know why you would specifically want Victorian Cattle when you can get Brafords, Brangus, Beefmaster, etc all probably fairly close to you that are more acclimated already.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:20 am

callmefence wrote:I'm putting a f1 braford bull on a dozen Hereford cows as we speak. Didn't know they were called Victoria's.
Now I know...........

You going to be selling any of the heifers?
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:51 am

Brute 23 wrote:
bball wrote:

Guess I should be more specific. :D I don't know why you would specifically want Victorian Cattle when you can get Brafords, Brangus, Beefmaster, etc all probably fairly close to you that are more acclimated already.

I'd rather have something that is less than 30% Brahman blood.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:53 am

They are good cattle... Just be ready to handle them. They don't get a lot of exposure to people if they come straight off the ranch.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:51 am

Rafter S wrote:
callmefence wrote:I'm putting a f1 braford bull on a dozen Hereford cows as we speak. Didn't know they were called Victoria's.
Now I know...........

Yes sir. That is the plan.
0 x

David Crockett

cattleman99
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cattleman99 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:21 pm

Why would you want Brahman influenced cattle up North? Unless your program includes rodeo stock. Makes no sense?
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:31 pm

callmefence wrote:
Rafter S wrote:
Now I know...........

I might like to come take a look at them if you don't mind, unless you already have a buyer.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:44 pm

Rafter S wrote:
callmefence wrote:
Rafter S wrote:

I might like to come take a look at them if you don't mind, unless you already have a buyer.

Anytime..
We're just getting the cows with the bull
Calves will be strung out through next summer. As some are just now calving Angus and Hereford calves. And some are wide open. Next year should get a tighter group.
Your welcome anytime to come look.
0 x

David Crockett

Return to “Breeds Board”