What are they?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Re: What are they?

Postby Muddy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:18 pm

You can breed the belt out. We have several Angus x Beltie cows that are solid black. You won't get a solid black one on first generation but can get solid calves on second generation. After F1, it's usually 50% chance of getting solid calf and 50% chance of getting a belted calf....no different from skunktails or whiteface.
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:26 pm

0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:19 pm

Rafter S wrote:
callmefence wrote:They ran a handful of heavy bred young bellies through the sale at lampasas Wednesday. I think they sold for around 700.00
I mean they were nice young well conditioned cows 8 months bred. I don't know why nobody liked them. I had to sit on my hands.

I don't have any experience with them, but I've heard it's harder to breed that color pattern out than it is to breed spots off of Longhorns.

I heard the same thing from a dairyman. He used a Dutch belted bull one year and a coouple of generations later he was still getting belts occasionally. Maybe the spotting gene in Holsteins augments it.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:54 pm

dun wrote:
Rafter S wrote:
callmefence wrote:They ran a handful of heavy bred young bellies through the sale at lampasas Wednesday. I think they sold for around 700.00
I mean they were nice young well conditioned cows 8 months bred. I don't know why nobody liked them. I had to sit on my hands.

I don't have any experience with them, but I've heard it's harder to breed that color pattern out than it is to breed spots off of Longhorns.

I heard the same thing from a dairyman. He used a Dutch belted bull one year and a coouple of generations later he was still getting belts occasionally. Maybe the spotting gene in Holsteins augments it.

It's easy to hide a belt marking in the Holsteins spot pattern. It's not hard to breed belts out than breed spots off of longhorns.
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:39 pm

Getting the occasional solid calf isn’t breeding the belt out.
2 x

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:07 pm

do belts come red and white?
Several years ago when I worked on a kill floor you had to catch a vile of blood from bulls and put it in a bag with any ear tags and sale tags. The government vet/inspector that was on site took care of all that he also had to write what breed of bull it was. One day we killed a bull that looked like a belted but it was red and white. He ask me what I thought it was and I said looks like a R/W belted but that I did not know if they came in R/W. He said they did and that was what it was but if they do I have never seen another one like him, but there is not to many belts around where I am from.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Texasmark
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Texasmark » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:49 pm

slick4591 wrote:If you saw those on 69 going out of Greenville to Emory they were the Belted Galloway.

I did. Went down to Emory to pick up my right rear cab window on my Branson 6530, compliments of a rock tossed by my drum mower. While there spent some time in Hootens picking up some hardware to attach my cobbled up shield I'm putting on the front of the mower to keep the rocks away from the cab.....first time it was the door, 7ish years ago, $640 and now this, $300. Nuf is nuf.

I told the sales clerk I could spend a week in his store. Really a comprehensive retailer.

Thanks for the replies all you guys. I'll do a google and find about them; idle curiousity.
0 x

Texasmark
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Texasmark » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:57 pm

Muddy wrote:Image

Yepper, that's them except the belt was foreleg to hind leg. As I read herein, depends on the breeding.

So you get them for milking qualities, cold weather survival and efficient managers of poor diets.....stressed non-improved pasture.

I had some small frame ⅜-⅝ Brangus cows like that. Dropped me a calf every 11-12 months for many years and stayed fat as a hog when others pin bones were punching through the hide on the same pasture.
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:01 pm

BRYANT wrote:do belts come red and white?
Several years ago when I worked on a kill floor you had to catch a vile of blood from bulls and put it in a bag with any ear tags and sale tags. The government vet/inspector that was on site took care of all that he also had to write what breed of bull it was. One day we killed a bull that looked like a belted but it was red and white. He ask me what I thought it was and I said looks like a R/W belted but that I did not know if they came in R/W. He said they did and that was what it was but if they do I have never seen another one like him, but there is not to many belts around where I am from.

They do come in both red/white and black/white.
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:11 pm

M.Magis wrote:Getting the occasional solid calf isn’t breeding the belt out.

Do you raised the belties? If not, then I got more solid calves out of the beltie cows than belted calves. I typically got two belted calves per year out of what, 13 belted cows? I use black Angus bulls on the beltie cows.
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:16 pm

BRYANT wrote:do belts come red and white?

Yes they do come in red. There are three different colors of belted Galloway. Black, red and dun.
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:52 pm

Muddy wrote:

Do you raised the belties? If not, then I got more solid calves out of the beltie cows than belted calves. I typically got two belted calves per year out of what, 13 belted cows? I use black Angus bulls on the beltie cows.

But you also get belted calves out of solid cows, so the belt is not “bred out”. Its still in the woodpile and likes to be seen. And from your pictures in the past, I thought I remembered a fair number of belted calves.
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:42 pm

M.Magis wrote:
Muddy wrote:

But you also get belted calves out of solid cows, so the belt is not “bred out”. Its still in the woodpile and likes to be seen. And from your pictures in the past, I thought I remembered a fair number of belted calves.

No you cannot get a belted calf out of a solid cow, it's impossible unless they're bred to a belted bull or that cow has a really small quarter sized belt spot. Yes I have belted calves but I usually have 1-3 belted calves per year tho we had gone two years without any belted calves in the past. The belted calves we have, are always out of belted cows, not solid cows.
0 x

NonTypicalCPA
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:23 am

I wish my hair were long enough for a ponytail! And I hate wearing sandals.

0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:31 am

Muddy wrote:
M.Magis wrote:
Muddy wrote:Do you raised the belties? If not, then I got more solid calves out of the beltie cows than belted calves. I typically got two belted calves per year out of what, 13 belted cows? I use black Angus bulls on the beltie cows.

No you cannot get a belted calf out of a solid cow, it's impossible unless they're bred to a belted bull or that cow has a really small quarter sized belt spot. Yes I have belted calves but I usually have 1-3 belted calves per year tho we had gone two years without any belted calves in the past. The belted calves we have, are always out of belted cows, not solid cows.

my neighbor has two cows that are half galloway and half angus. one of them has a belt and the other has a small white spot about the size of a silver dollar.
The belted one has had two belted calves now.
the non belted one had a red calf by a red angus bull last year.
this year that same cow had a black and white belted calf when bred to a red angus bull. in fact her calf had a better belt than the belted cows calf.
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Return to “Breeds Board”