Selling Herd Bull

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

thommoos
Rancher
Rancher

Selling Herd Bull

Postby thommoos » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:24 pm

So I had this Gelbvieh Bull now for 3 1/2 years on my small herd, love his calves and his heifers.
My question is " What does a 4 1/2 yo bull sell for"? This bull is a moderate frame which is why i choose him.

https://gelbvieh.digitalbeef.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=_animal&file=_animal&animal_registration=AMGV1247060
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Selling Herd Bull

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:28 pm

Got a recent picture of him?
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:32 pm

Up here, papered, quality 4 yos can be had for $2200-3000. Lotsa STO rotating bulls every couple years out of necessity.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:25 am

Slightly over kill price here, depending on weight and what he looks like.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:48 am

We just sold our coming 3 year old bull for 3500. A couple of years ago sold his daddy at the same age for 5000. The first bull was sold out of state this one was sold locally. What I'm getting at is that years akes a difference but also the market he would be sold into.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

thommoos
Rancher
Rancher

Postby thommoos » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:49 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:Got a recent picture of him?

0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:09 pm

Looks in good shape...talked to a man last week about one I would sell..he said figure him about a dollar a pound..id ask about 2k to 2500.00 for him.. '
''You can get to cheap and lose folks interest..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SPH » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:54 pm

Always felt if you think you have a good proven herd sire that still has a lot of miles left in him that slaughter price + $500-$1000 on top of that is a reasonable price. We usually get about 4 calf crops out of a bull before we switch bulls due to having too many daughters or close relation to him by that age and by then you have daughters in production in your herd and probably sold some sons and daughters who have calves too in other herds. We're a registered purebred herd so we keep records on everything so after 4 calf crops we have plenty of weights to have a pretty good idea what kind of calves a bull has sired so for example if someone is worried about calving ease we know what the average birth weight of the calves he's sired and if we had to pull any of his calves. There should be some value in being able to take some of the guesswork out of selecting a bull so would rather send the bull to the sale barn before taking less than fair value on him.

Unfortunately it's just part of the business when you sell seedstock that you'll always get calls from guys looking for bulls for sale barn prices off the farm. Our response to low ball offers has always been if you are looking to buy a bull on a sale barn budget then go to the sale barn and take your chances because there probably is a reason a bull is at the sale barn and there should be some value behind buying a bull from a breeder that is selling private treaty. We'll even get him semen tested before we deliver as we always get a BSE done on every sale bull we have as well as our own herd sire every year before breeding season. You aren't going to get that kind of guarantee or background information on a bull you buy at a sale barn.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”