Hereford x Longhorn ?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

xbredcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Hereford x Longhorn ?

Postby xbredcattle » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:45 pm

If you have any local team ropers you could sell the horned heifer to rope - she's got good bases and is the right size

I'm not sure what you paid for them but fresh roping cattle are worth more than scale prices
0 x

ClinchValley
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby ClinchValley » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:24 am

Guy across the street has been hauling off HerefordXLonghorn animals the past few weeks. His look almost exactly like that. His animals never get sick. But they can jump like nothing i've ever seen. Nothing to clear 5 ft. tall fence. I doubt his made their way up to where you are.

Maybe you could pass them off again before the big horns are very noticeable.
0 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:49 pm

Longhorn X Horned Hereford heifer with her first Angus X calf. Second pic is dam and grand dam standing behind the pair....and another random Longhorn X Angus calf. Our (most) profitable cows are Longhorn X Angus or Hereford crossed back to Angus. They eat light, and I've never had fence jumpers.
1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:05 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Image

Longhorn X Horned Hereford heifer with her first Angus X calf. Second pic is dam and grand dam standing behind the pair....and another random Longhorn X Angus calf. Our (most) profitable cows are Longhorn X Angus or Hereford crossed back to Angus. They eat light, and I've never had fence jumpers.

I always think it is kind of funny to see people on here start talking like ALL longhorns are fence jumpers or ALL Brahman are wild and mean or what ever they seen some breed do that was bad its like they all will do it. I worked on a kill floor and have seen every breed do something bad or stupid its not the breed its the cow. That cross bred cow you got there looks like a money maker to me. I would have banded her horns when she was young other than that I like her.
1 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:27 pm

Thanks for the responses and thank you Farm Fence Solutions for the pictures.
Some have suggested banding the horns, I have never banded any cattle horns before, and am wondering if I were to do it now would they continue to grow out much behind from the bands? Also wondering if I don't do anything to the horns would we then still be able to get her through a chute? Have not had much experience with horned cattle, always used to dehorn when they were small, with either an electric or a barnes type.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:36 pm

The beef cross usually takes enough horn away that working through a chute isn't ever a problem. I don't mind a cow with some horn.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:47 pm

elkwc wrote:The horned heifer should make a good momma and might have some LH in her. The other I have doubts about.

I would have to agree. The polled heifer looks like she's older, and will be slow to mature...but I am no expert. I like the look of the horned heifer for a keeper. She is too beefy and not enough horn to pass off to a team roper, IMHO. Horn past the ears before they hit 400 is a pretty good rule of thumb for team roping cattle.
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:41 pm

Saw this one few weeks ago, sold for $600. Is this a Longhorn x Hereford?
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:27 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Our (most) profitable cows are Longhorn X Angus or Hereford crossed back to Angus. They eat light, and I've never had fence jumpers.

Sounds like the 1800s. The only thing I have noted was that your LH cows look beefier than most I have seen.

How much maternal progress have we made in 140 years?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:45 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Our (most) profitable cows are Longhorn X Angus or Hereford crossed back to Angus. They eat light, and I've never had fence jumpers.

Sounds like the 1800s. The only thing I have noted was that your LH cows look beefier than most I have seen.

Most people won't give a LH the chance to be beefy. It's stuck in most folks heads that they should be racks of bones. As far as the maternal progress.....Not as much as the guys selling six figure replacements would have you think. Here is an honest look at full sisters at 2 yrs and 3 yrs old. My program wouldn't work for everyone, but hybrid vigor is hybrid vigor. I bought a dang nice solid color Mexican bull in 08'.....Named him Obama. We did the right thing and voted his azz out four years later, once we'd used him for what he was good for. We crossed him on Angus heifers, and believe it or not, improved their get in enough ways to call it a success. You want replacements that milk better on junk feed? (important in this neck of the woods) A little Hereford influence wont' hurt a thing. You want low BW? Angus bull is your man. You want really low BW? Get a Mexican bull. You want cows that can survive on good feed, or ragweed, and everything in between? Put a little LH influence in your cows. If I thought I could stay half way close to a profit, I'd have some ear to go with the horn....Just don't think it'll fly around here just yet. I don't aim to take anything away from the purebred people, but that kind of organization just doesn't fit my schedule. :lol:
1 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:13 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:

Most people won't give a LH the chance to be beefy. It's stuck in most folks heads that they should be racks of bones. As far as the maternal progress.....Not as much as the guys selling six figure replacements would have you think. Here is an honest look at full sisters at 2 yrs and 3 yrs old. My program wouldn't work for everyone, but hybrid vigor is hybrid vigor. I bought a dang nice solid color Mexican bull in 08'.....Named him Obama. We did the right thing and voted his azz out four years later, once we'd used him for what he was good for. We crossed him on Angus heifers, and believe it or not, improved their get in enough ways to call it a success. You want replacements that milk better on junk feed? (important in this neck of the woods) A little Hereford influence wont' hurt a thing. You want low BW? Angus bull is your man. You want really low BW? Get a Mexican bull. You want cows that can survive on good feed, or ragweed, and everything in between? Put a little LH influence in your cows. If I thought I could stay half way close to a profit, I'd have some ear to go with the horn....Just don't think it'll fly around here just yet. I don't aim to take anything away from the purebred people, but that kind of organization just doesn't fit my schedule. :lol:

I was born and raised around dairy cattle, I never gave much thought to beef cattle until I was well into my 20's. Years ago I became friends with an older dairy farmer who also had a small herd of longhorns. He told me something I'll never forget and I think is so true. He said that cattle are getting the "instincts"" bred out of them and that todays cattle are getting dumber and dumber. Call me crazy but this is why I am a huge fan of longhorns.
1 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:45 am

ohiosteve wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:

I was born and raised around dairy cattle, I never gave much thought to beef cattle until I was well into my 20's. Years ago I became friends with an older dairy farmer who also had a small herd of longhorns. He told me something I'll never forget and I think is so true. He said that cattle are getting the "instincts"" bred out of them and that todays cattle are getting dumber and dumber. Call me crazy but this is why I am a huge fan of longhorns.

You are correct. I have state in previous posts in the past. There is a beef version of the LH that has alot of muscle and when crossed makes a very good quality animal. They also offer many qualities that have been bred out of todays cattle. They are hard and have vigor. Great mothers. Coyotes aren't an issue with them.
1 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:57 am

LH X Angus first calf heifer.....Dam is the old cow with the 1 up 1 down horns....with her Angus sired bull calf. I'd take all of these I could get.
0 x

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:18 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:LH X Angus first calf heifer.....Dam is the old cow with the 1 up 1 down horns....with her Angus sired bull calf. I'd take all of these I could get.

I have said I like the looks of some of your cross bred cows , and I do.
so where are you from, I am guessing north/n.e. from what you are saying about getting docked for a little ear. Where I am from they would dock bad for that line back calf, yes he looks nice but that color would tear the price up. That is why if I had your cows I would breed them back to a Char.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:50 am

BRYANT wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:LH X Angus first calf heifer.....Dam is the old cow with the 1 up 1 down horns....with her Angus sired bull calf. I'd take all of these I could get.

I have said I like the looks of some of your cross bred cows , and I do.
so where are you from, I am guessing north/n.e. from what you are saying about getting docked for a little ear. Where I am from they would dock bad for that line back calf, yes he looks nice but that color would tear the price up. That is why if I had your cows I would breed them back to a Char.

We are in SW Indiana. The father/son that buy most of my calves wear me out wanting more "skunks". They had over 1,000 on feed last time I talked to them, and our cross calves are some of their favorites. They've even kept several of the heifer calves for cows, and I've sold them several LH X young pairs. (They bought both of the Hereford X LH heifers, and another half dozen or so Angus X LH young pairs from me this spring.....and paid good money for them) I would like to try a Char bull on a few...just haven't had the right opportunity come up yet.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”