Southern Balancer

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Southern Balancer

Post by Bigfoot » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:38 pm

960 Lbs at 12 months, 36 cm, passed a bse.

Don't show it much, but he is half brangus. Had his first bite of grain Feb 1st.

He's the stereotypical homegrown bull, but I'm going to put him on some young cows for their second, and 3rd calf.

Is he beautiful? Naw, not really. He just speaks to me for some reason. Mostly want some big black calves to sell next fall.

Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

Boot Jack Bulls
GURU
GURU

Re: Southern Balancer

Post by Boot Jack Bulls » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:55 pm

Bigfoot, he's actually a pretty good looking bull. He's better than a lot of them posted on the web. My main concern would be a lack of growth....I'm not familiar with your program, but for me his YW would not cut it. I would suggest trimming off his navel hair though. Long hair on the navel can turn into a hair ring on his business really easy, similar to what can happen to a child's finger with a human hair that goes unnoticed....
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:32 am

His head looks like a basketball, you'll know after his first calf crop what you have.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:51 am

He looks like he means business Bigfoot.

Ken

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:56 am

Looks ok to me. I saw some Brangus x Gelbvieh bulls for sale on craigslist the other day, I thought as individuals they looked pretty good in comparison to some I see advertised.

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Post by midTN_Brangusman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:05 pm

Should give you some decent black calves. Not a bad yw for not being on feed imo.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:53 pm

midTN_Brangusman wrote:Should give you some decent black calves. Not a bad yw for not being on feed imo.

I knew I would catch a little flack on his YW. He's been grass or hay since birth. I wish it was a little higher, but its not. IMHO all weights can be influenced through feed, but supplemented nutrition isn't going to change his genetics. Pushing a cow with some feed at different times of the year, could help the calf. That logic doesn't translate to a bull for me though. His scrotum was good for his age.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

thommoos
Rancher
Rancher

Post by thommoos » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:41 pm

Nice, yep seen several looking like that. My Gelb over Beefmasters, gave me that same type looking animal. Glad to see someone else breeding Southern Balancers as well.

What size frame is his sire? I went with a smaller frame to start to make replacements for myself. I am planning on a 4 breeding season run then switching to a red Gelb.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:45 pm

thommoos wrote:Nice, yep seen several looking like that. My Gelb over Beefmasters, gave me that same type looking animal. Glad to see someone else breeding Southern Balancers as well.

What size frame is his sire? I went with a smaller frame to start to make replacements for myself. I am planning on a 4 breeding season run then switching to a red Gelb.

Ashamed to say I know nothing about frame size (other than what I see posted here). 1850 pounds while wearing his work clothes is all I can tell you.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:10 pm

I think he's a nice bull Bigfoot.
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

BC
GURU
GURU

Post by BC » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:20 pm

I think the interesting thing about this post is take a good look at the picture. That calf has a Brangus mother (3/8 Brahman). Does that calf have TOO MUCH ear and navel to not sell well in your area?

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Post by cow pollinater » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:23 pm

He is by far the best looking southern balancer I've seen. I tried the cross a few times and might have stuck with it if I'd have seen anything like him out of it. Not to say he's fantastic but the best of that cross that I've seen. He would be a completely different animal on feed but I'd say he looks great for what he's been getting. What kind of cows is he going to run on?

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Post by frieghttrain » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:24 pm

BOB looks good bigfoot :)
Quality doesn't have a color.

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Post by midTN_Brangusman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:37 pm

BC wrote:I think the interesting thing about this post is take a good look at the picture. That calf has a Brangus mother (3/8 Brahman). Does that calf have TOO MUCH ear and navel to not sell well in your area?

THANK YOU, I REST MY CASE :clap: :clap:

I cant tell you how many locals have told me the wanted one of my brangus bulls but didn't want to take the hit at the sale barn.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:39 pm

cow pollinater wrote:He is by far the best looking southern balancer I've seen. I tried the cross a few times and might have stuck with it if I'd have seen anything like him out of it. Not to say he's fantastic but the best of that cross that I've seen. He would be a completely different animal on feed but I'd say he looks great for what he's been getting. What kind of cows is he going to run on?

Ultra blacks and brangus. A sprinkling of baldies.