Thoughts about this heifer

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Thoughts about this heifer

Postby lithuanian farmer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:04 am

Have 14 months old heifer. She's Limox out of 1/4x (Angus, Salers, BB, dairy) cow. She has injured her right rear leg last autumn after weaning. Called for the vet to come and look at her, but he never came, however told us that he'll arrive. Put a plaster cast by ourselves, but as she had a wound on her leg had to take it of after some time. Heifer spends more time laying, but she can perfectly run and jump. Let her out from the barn yesterday and she was very happy girl jumping around. Thought about culling her, but now think about keeping her, but not letting her with cows and using AI not bull for her. She's even halter trained. She will put even more meat on grass.
What do you think if we should try to keep her? Maybe somebody had similar experience.

Plan about using an easy calving Angus for her, but still wonder if it won't be too much for her.

poorfarmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Thoughts about this heifer

Postby poorfarmer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:09 am

Go with your gut it is normally right. One of the things I found is second guessing yourself when it comes to cattle is rarely the right choice.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:10 am

Have looked at many of your pictures and you have alot of nice cattle. I think she should be beef and not take the chance on that foot/leg. I have seen many of your pictures of heifers and cows that I would keep to breed, and not have to take the chance that this one could wind up getting down then be a loss in the end.

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:38 am

We've talked with one vet. She looked at the heifer and said that she should be fine. Heifer most likely has severed ligaments and tendons in that place, possibly abit dislocated joint.
It'd be easier to cull her if she wasn't my personal heifer. I'm building my own herd separately from parents and she's my the 3rd girl. Won't have any more calves from her dam by the same bull.

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:05 am

If would not sell her because if it is anything there like it is here they are going to dock you real bad and get next to nothing for her. I would eat her or if I don't need the meat and was kind of fond to her , like it sounds you are , try breeding her what's to loose ??
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:34 pm

If you weren't so attached to her, I would just send her to slaughter and if it were mine I would just breed her to a mini Zebu bull for 1st calf.

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:59 pm

lithuanian farmer wrote:Have 14 months old heifer. She's Limox out of 1/4x (Angus, Salers, BB, dairy) cow. She has injured her right rear leg last autumn after weaning. Called for the vet to come and look at her, but he never came, however told us that he'll arrive. Put a plaster cast by ourselves, but as she had a wound on her leg had to take it of after some time. Heifer spends more time laying, but she can perfectly run and jump. Let her out from the barn yesterday and she was very happy girl jumping around. Thought about culling her, but now think about keeping her, but not letting her with cows and using AI not bull for her. She's even halter trained. She will put even more meat on grass.
What do you think if we should try to keep her? Maybe somebody had similar experience.

Plan about using an easy calving Angus for her, but still wonder if it won't be too much for her.

I would keep her and breed her to a low birthweight bull. I have kept a few like her and they all made nice cows.

SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SPH » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:28 pm

Hate to see an injury like that on a nice female but that injury concerns me about her longevity. That looks like a lot of stress on a joint that will bear a lot of weight and not sure what your summer pasture situation is but I worry about how she is going to get around if she has to walk long distances. Like someone else said go with your gut on the decision you make but if you have to cull some cows to cut down on numbers that injury would be enough to cut ties on what could become a potential problem for you. Just like cows with big teats you have to milk out, if you have to give special attention to a cow the time and effort you spend may not be worth it.

A.J.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby A.J. » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:06 am

It's always hard to decide when it's one you've got an attachment to. My concerns would be if she might injure it worse if bred natural, and the added weight when she is heavy bred might really bring her down. That being said, you see her day in and day out, and have the best idea the progress she has made and how she appears to be feeling.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:10 am

I would think you would get a calf or two out of her but I would not expect her to last too long. She is taking most of the weight on her heels and would think it would be easily abraded in poor conditions.

Ken

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:08 am

very rare I keep a heifer who has had problems before even making it to a cow. Costs enough to get them to cow age, I don't need another gamble on top of it.

OzssieDave19
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby OzssieDave19 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:24 am

Basically you are doing what i often do.. you have planned to breed her and thats what you should do. Its interesting to talk about things but i think there are more posts in favour of beef than breed but you want to breed so take the gamble qnd do it.

Maybe you could get 2 or 3 calves and sell her earlier than a normal cow. I have recently kept a heifer who gave me a dead calf as i only have 3 heifers and would like to percevere with her and see a live calf on her in 9 months.

Good luck. There is no wrong decision.

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:39 am

Gonna keep her with smaller/younger heifers this year. Not letting with her age heifers. Don't graze heifers in big pastures.
Today let her with other 8 smaller heifers in the field. She run and was kicking easily like others. Her injury is slightly noticable in her walk, but not something very obvious. When she stands still you can see that she often keeps most of her weight on other legs. We aren't 100% sure yet, but gonna watch her during summer until she'll be big enough for breeding. Would breed her when she'll be over 1300lbs. Would like to get at least one heifer from her.

The bulls we would choose from for her first calf.
http://www.naturalgen.cz/DOC_SEMEN4/ZAA-788_Offer.pdf
http://www.litgenas.lt/lt/buliai/mesiniai/smuggler

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:21 pm

I would breed her sooner rather than later. She will be too heavy by the time she calves if you let her go longer.

Ken

MarkH
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Thoughts about this heiferRed

Postby MarkH » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:29 pm

The big problem I have with both bulls is that neither one of them has any calving information at all. They don't have so much as their own birth weight given. ABS Genus has a couple of bulls like Americano and Elivator that would work from the UK.
For an EU qualified Charolais bull look at: https://issuu.com/semex2010/docs/semex_beef2017/145. Most of the Angus bulls imported to the EU from North America tend to be power bulls not calving ease bulls.
Do any of the Red and Black angus breeders have any suggestions on EU qualified bulls he may look at at?

Return to “Breeds Board”