Hoover Angus - which bulls do you like for AI?

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
jscunn
GURU
GURU

Re: Hoover Angus - which bulls do you like for AI?

Post by jscunn » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:49 pm

I have only seen a couple but the 38 special sons have a nice look. Good luck with him

hornedfrogbbq
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by hornedfrogbbq » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:15 pm

W.B. wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:43 am
hornedfrogbbq wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:31 am
I don't know how in the world i have not studied the Hoover Angus catalog before yesterday but goodness they have an old herd and provide some SUPER interesting detail. It is up there in my top 5 catalogs for details provided. Daughters retained in a herd stat? unheard of!

I'm interested in melding in some of their genetics from their best cows. We used Hoover Dam last year and will again this year. The Top Notch bull out of the L5 cow is interesting to me. I have to be careful as they run a bigger framed herd than we do down in central Texas (or what is getting to be known in 2019 as the new southwest desert).

Any suggestions on bulls you have used out of them? I'm mainly focused on trying to get the best cow genetics out of their sons. Reminder - commercial herd, castrate all bull calves and retain ownership through the feedlot and sell on a quality grid. We have no registered females and focus on fertility and longevity. The herd has large influences from Connealy, Sydenstricker and a bit of SAV started. I am also thinking how i offset the lack of marbling in the SAV sid
I like Top Notch's littermate at Accelerated a little better in terms of body depth and possibly siring more desirable replacement females. I think I read in their semen directory that is the same in their herd. The Top Notch progeny look like they would do real well in the feedlot from my standpoint. I am kind of fussy about how they should look so keep that in mind as I have never used a bull from their program even after strongly considering it. Hoover Dam was on a very short list here about 5 years ago and I never pulled the trigger.
What is the littermate's name at Accelerated. I'm not seeing it.

LJCB
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by LJCB » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:34 pm

Hoover Cut Above

Stickney94
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Stickney94 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:33 pm

Any experience with Hoover No Doubt or any of his sons?

LJCB
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by LJCB » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:29 pm

Using notary this spring. Heard he is really close to producing again .