How much can you breed in bigger rib eye size?

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Re: How much can you breed in bigger rib eye size?

Post by Lucky_P » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:52 am

not necessarily so...
Look at Green Garden Angus' bulls - they have high REA/high marbling/tenderness in smaller frame, with way above breed average $EN

W.B.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by W.B. » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:31 am

Lucky_P wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:52 am
not necessarily so...
Look at Green Garden Angus' bulls - they have high REA/high marbling/tenderness in smaller frame, with way above breed average $EN
Not trying to start an argument but I don’t think those cattle would move this far north and thrive. We are starting on a long cold winter here. One that is likely going to test us all. Those type don’t weather the storm so to speak very well.

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Post by Lucky_P » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:40 pm

Really?!
Angus cattle can't make it in SD?
Somebody better tell Kelly Schaff, up in ND, that his cattle likely won't weather the storm, so to speak.

W.B.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by W.B. » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:46 pm

I was referring to the Green Garden Angus recommendation. A case of someone merely looking for an argument. I am not and am out on this topic.

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Post by Lucky_P » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:38 am

No, not looking for an argument...I'm sure those SD winters are tough...DIL is from Brookings. Just doubting your claim that the cattle couldn't handle it just like any other Angus cattle.
Central KS winters are likely a bit milder than those Dakota winters, but the N Bar and Sinclair Angus that are so prominent in those Green Garden pedigrees are out of Wyoming and Montana.. pretty harsh winters out there, I'd think.
Not sure where hornedfrogbbq is located, but that frozen semen has been subjected to temps lower than Ma Nature can dish out...anywhere. lol.
Heck, heat stress may be a bigger issue for black cows at hornedfrog's place than winter conditions.

hornedfrogbbq
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by hornedfrogbbq » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:51 am

Heat stress is our biggest issue. By far. We are watching to see how our cattle handle being fed out in Kansas. They had a be nice of a bad winter there last year and the steers haired-up well and we had zero death loss (lots of factors there obviously).