Upgrade Bull

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
zefron
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Upgrade Bull

Postby zefron » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:42 am

I totally agree with the second comment about that.....
0 x
http://www.soran.edu.iq

Tbrake
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Tbrake » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:57 pm

Sorry to bring up a dead topic. I have several upgrade heifers to breed this spring. Angus or char. Cross. They sure impress me, absolutely beautiful girls. In the past I never looked at upgrade as a maternal sire. The growth on them is unreal, almost 100 pounds heavier than my chisum calves born at the same time. Anyone here have upgrades in production? Also, any recommendations on mating with upgrade heifers?
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:15 am

Upgrade is known as a fix everything bull, but I have seen some poor feet in his daughters.
I would look for calving ease and good feet. I can check on some bulls if you have a breed selected?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:13 am

Stocker Steve wrote:Upgrade is known as a fix everything bull, but I have seen some poor feet in his daughters.
I would look for calving ease and good feet. I can check on some bulls if you have a breed selected?

I have 2 fall 2016 Upgrade heifers, so they are a year old now. Both are very impressive. Both have good feet at this point. There are some very respected Simmental breeders who have expressed concerns about the feet.
0 x

Tbrake
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Tbrake » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:34 am

Very good to know. I will keep an eye on that. May wait a couple years to see how these turn out before breeding to him again. I would prefer to breed them angus. My select sires rep highly recommend gar composure and gar surefire, but I think I'm going to use comrade on my chisum and right answer daughters this spring.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:01 am

Tbrake wrote:Very good to know. I will keep an eye on that. May wait a couple years to see how these turn out before breeding to him again. I would prefer to breed them angus. My select sires rep highly recommend gar composure and gar surefire, but I think I'm going to use comrade on my chisum and right answer daughters this spring.

I bought a cane of Composure. Still have 3 or 4 straws left. I got about 6 calves. I kept one heifer that I sold as a bred. They are small calves that have low performance.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:58 pm

Why angus? Why not go back with Simm on them? I have several Upgrade daughters in production, and love each one of them. They raise one heck of a calf each year! We only use Simmental semen over here, so I really do not know the angus sires like others here.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:26 pm

Angus genetic change so fast now it is like riding a merry go round...
I laid off studying the catalogs for a couple of years and now I don't recognize much of anything...
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Tbrake
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Tbrake » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:36 pm

I am not opposed to breeding simi. Just know absolutely nothing about them. These heifers will be the first time a simi has been on any of our farms
0 x

Franke
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Franke » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:56 pm

We have had inconsistent results with upgrades in out herd. We've had BIG and good, mid and good, but also tall and shallow and short and choppy.
0 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”