Deer Valley Unique

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
Cdcollett
Cowhand
Cowhand

Deer Valley Unique

Post by Cdcollett » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:25 pm

Anybody else using him? I like the dam & he looks solid so I gave him a try. I’ve been a little surprised by a few 90+ lb calves on cows who haven’t typically had big calves. By his Epds he should be calving ease but I’m hesitant to use him on heifers which I was going to do this winter. If you used him & can speak to birthweight I’d appreciate it.

Cdcollett
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Deer Valley Unique

Post by Cdcollett » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:59 am

I was able to talk with Brian House at Select on Unique & a few other bulls. He seems pretty high on the Bull because of the dam and his base width & structure. He hadn’t seen a lot of calving data but did point out that the pedigree wasn’t in line with the calving ease epd so between that and the wider phenotype he would not be surprised if that moved somewhat. Time will tell.

That kind of reinforced my thoughts so I’m gong to keep using him on cows based on that for now. I felt Brian was super helpful

YoungAngusCattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by YoungAngusCattle » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:16 pm

I'm interested in using this bull. I assume you have calves on the ground from him, how do you like his calves? Do you have any breeding age females out of him?
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." - Lombardi

Cdcollett
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Cdcollett » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:27 pm

Just calves so nothing to go on other than higher birthweight than the epds represent. Not sure anyone but the owners of the Bull could have breeding age females yet.