Probably know shortly about 2nd amendment rights...

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Probably know shortly about 2nd amendment rights...

Post by kenny thomas » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:20 am

Redgully, you don't mention pistols at all. Are they allowed. I bear hunt with a 44mag with a 8 3/8" barrel and everyday carry is a Glock with 15 rd mag.

My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:26 am

kenny thomas wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:20 am
Redgully, you don't mention pistols at all. Are they allowed. I bear hunt with a 44mag with a 8 3/8" barrel and everyday carry is a Glock with 15 rd mag.
Kenny good points.
Most people I know carry.
My choice is a 1911.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:44 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:26 am
kenny thomas wrote:
Kenny good points.
Most people I know carry.
My choice is a 1911.
I know a few fellas who carry sidearms. I know a few who don't.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

JW IN VA
GURU
GURU

Post by JW IN VA » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:47 am

Instead of penalizing people who haven't committed a crime,why don't we just start teaching morals,responsibility and accountability again.No exceptions for being Grandma and Grandaddy's "pet" or one parents pawn against the other who are allowed to do whatever and it's always someone else's fault.
People have bought into this "me" thing to where they think they should be able to do whatever they want and there won't be any consequences for them.
Want to do whatever? Okay.The gov't will pick up the bill and make it right.Get into drugs,we'll pay for rehab.Get a baby on the way you find inconvenient? No problem,we have on demand abortion and we won't let your parents know.ETc,etc. NO.

Slaves are made in these ways.
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:19 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
Forgot to mention pistols, not aloud unless at gun clubs. Before the changes you could have a pistol if belonging to a gun club or had a need for one, such as cattleman and keep them at your residence. But now if you own one i am pretty sure it has to be kept at the club. Only remote cattleman are aloud pistols but I'm not 100% sure on that. Definitely not aloud to carry with you and i know that would bother many of you. If you lose that right you will never get it back. We are slowly seeing an easing off of some restrictions but never on pistols. Obviously the police still carry and armed gaurds.

SmokinM
Rancher
Rancher

Post by SmokinM » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:35 pm

YIKES!! I feel sorry for you Aussies. Yeah that won’t fly here! Stay tuned folks they are be nice bent on passing this stuff here in VA. Seem to think that the rally was all the gun supporters in this country. Wasn’t even all the gun supporters in 2 counties there. Election Day can’t get here fast enough.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:25 pm

Redgully wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:19 pm
kenny thomas wrote:
Forgot to mention pistols, not aloud unless at gun clubs. Before the changes you could have a pistol if belonging to a gun club or had a need for one, such as cattleman and keep them at your residence. But now if you own one i am pretty sure it has to be kept at the club. Only remote cattleman are aloud pistols but I'm not 100% sure on that. Definitely not aloud to carry with you and i know that would bother many of you. If you lose that right you will never get it back. We are slowly seeing an easing off of some restrictions but never on pistols. Obviously the police still carry and armed gaurds.
I hope I don't live long enough to see our rights to carry taken away. Evidently the stealing, drugs, and murders are not as bad there. Do you think the gun control laws have made it safe? Here in Chicago the gun control is very strict and it has some of the highest crime rates and shootings in the US.

SDM
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by SDM » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:43 pm

Redgully wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:28 am

...i know a guy who shoots camels at 1km...
I don't want to disrupt this thread but I'd love to hear more about this in a different one.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:47 pm

Another question redgully, this really interests me as to how it came to be. How did the gun control laws start there? Did people volunteer to just turn their guns in to the government.
Surely there were some that didn't just give them up freely. Did law enforcement come and raid the house and take them?
Inspection of guns at home was mentioned and the wife couldn't know where the key was or she would be breaking the law. Do you feel you are living in a free country?

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:09 pm

Good questions, we have lots of crime but very little shootings. You never feel a threat of being shot here when out and about, there simply isn't any guns in the cities. It all started with the port arthur massacre. Then prime minister John Howard decided he was going to change the gun laws and did. We fought tooth and nail to stop it. He was gutsy, went to the pro gun rallies and addressed the people. He wore a bullet proof vest one time and regrets that but wore it on advice. They held a gun amnesty and the people responded handing in thousands of guns, licensed or not. My neighbour had a .22 repeater he had bought in Italy. Not licensed but handed it in. I wouldnt have. I remember them having a blast with it before they took it in. My brother inlaw had a 22 that was his great grandfathers gun. It was classed as not legal. He could have had it modified or plugged with lead to keep it but handed it in. I would have kept it. We only had bolt action guns as dad was always very gun cautious so we kept ours. We only had six guns. They didn't do any raids i know of but did send orders of confiscation to people who didn't and i think there were fines. Even undesirable people who have guns stashed away are scared to use them in crime or they know they will lose them. I do feel i live in a free country because there is laws with everything. If you break the law driving you lose your license. And the wife knows where the keys are.....

But our situation is much different to yours, we are an island, yes some guns are smuggled in but very difficult. There was not a lot of guns on the ground to start with, especially pistols and high powered stuff.

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:12 pm

SDM wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:43 pm
Redgully wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:28 am

...i know a guy who shoots camels at 1km...
I don't want to disrupt this thread but I'd love to hear more about this in a different one.
Id love to know more too! Spoke to the guy briefly and it was really interesting, whole different world in the outback. He was only young, maybe thirty, but done more shooting than i will in my life. Has over 20 guns and all stored at police station, when he goes bush just takes what he needs and is registered shooter.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:24 pm

Thank you for your reply. It seems very different from here.
It's so different it's hard to compare.
People who own 25 guns are fairly common and 200-300 is not unheard of.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:41 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:24 pm
Got that right Kenny as most people I know have multiple gun safes.

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:42 am

kenny thomas wrote:
I do have to ask why, what on earth would you need that many guns for. For me i need an air rifle, .22 and a 12 gauge shotgun. We had a 410 shot gun but that was expensive and useless. If i had large acreage I'd need a 30 30 also.

Forgot to mention, silencers are also banned.....but easy to make.....

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:28 am

Redgully wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:42 am
kenny thomas wrote:
I do have to ask why, what on earth would you need that many guns for. For me i need an air rifle, .22 and a 12 gauge shotgun. We had a 410 shot gun but that was expensive and useless. If i had large acreage I'd need a 30 30 also.

Forgot to mention, silencers are also banned.....but easy to make.....
Need and right to own are two different things.
I have four 12 gauges and 16 gauges that are several generations in the family. I normally shoot two 20’s and 28’s . A pile of lever guns from 32-40 to 44 mag’s . The list goes on, quite a few of those guns have been in my family for generations. My Marine uncles 1911 that made the beach landings in the South Pacific is priceless to me. I would have to count hunting rifles.
If it got down to strictly need a 22LR, 12 gauge and a 30-30 would cover the bases.
I don’t need two trucks either, I have the freedoms to own what I want and have the means to purchase.
I bought a bolt action in 350 Legend yesterday. Did I need it not hardly. Did I want it? You bet and it followed me home. That’s the difference I don’t have to seek permission to own for hunting, self defense or protection from tyrants. This is ingrained into our inalienable rights as Americans.

“The U.S. Constitution is the most successful and widely copied national political charter in the history of western civilization. For the first time in history, people founded a system of government based on ideas rather than power, and purposefully delineated a separation of powers to preserve individual liberty.”