Rocky Boots

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
HDRider
GURU
GURU

Re: Rocky Boots

Post by HDRider » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:49 am

Aaron wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:54 pm
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:41 pm
HDRider wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:57 pm
Anyone have an opinion on Rocky boots?

https://www.rockyboots.com/rocky/rocky- ... W0235.html

I am on my second pair of Irish Setter boots and they just don't last long enough to suit me. The second pair was given to me as a replacement for a pair that lasted less than a year, and now these are going.
Quit being such a cheapskate and buy a decent pair of boots.
Does such a thing exist? Between salt, manure, urine, oil and water it is surprising that any leather boot lasts as long as it does. Now I do have a pair of Georgia Boots that only gets worn to town, but that really isn't a test of a leather boot.
TT can't relate

bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Post by HDRider » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:51 am

greybeard wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:21 am
I don't know about any of Rocky's everyday work boots but...
I've had a taller version of these since early 2016. (Christmas gift from my late brother) For mud and relatively shallow water they have held up well. Comfortable, warm, easy on/off, lightweight. For my often wet area, they've held up good, but I can see where the uppers might tear easy if you have cactus, mesquite, sharp rocks...made with some kind of foamy goretex type stuff that have started to tear on the very outside when I'm working in places with a lot of green briar but the lowers are great..upper part don't leak yet but probably won't take much to start.

I have my Mucks for that job. I need a good 4 season waterproof walking boot especially for summer. I like the ISs, but I'd like more than a year or two out of them
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:02 am

Understood...just posted it as a thought regarding that company's quality.
Best overall work boots I ever wore were late 60s-early 70s US Govt issue jungle boots. The trick is finding the correct size.they tend to come 1 size wider than a normal boot. 1st pair I had was a little loose..2nd pair fit like a 2nd skin and I put 'em thru be nice..
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:08 am

greybeard wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:21 am
I don't know about any of Rocky's everyday work boots but...
I've had a taller version of these since early 2016. (Christmas gift from my late brother) For mud and relatively shallow water they have held up well. Comfortable, warm, easy on/off, lightweight. For my often wet area, they've held up good, but I can see where the uppers might tear easy if you have cactus, mesquite, sharp rocks...made with some kind of foamy goretex type stuff that have started to tear on the very outside when I'm working in places with a lot of green briar but the lowers are great..upper part don't leak yet but probably won't take much to start.

That's a very practical boot for wet and muddy conditions.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:08 am

HDRider wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:49 am
Aaron wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

Does such a thing exist? Between salt, manure, urine, oil and water it is surprising that any leather boot lasts as long as it does. Now I do have a pair of Georgia Boots that only gets worn to town, but that really isn't a test of a leather boot.
TT can't relate
Can too, I read stories.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Post by Aaron » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:10 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:31 pm
Aaron wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

I wear rubber boots if I’m going to be in the conditions you describe.
Not much of an option for me. My feet sweat terribly and even worse in rubbers, which causes rubbing and sores. I still have my Mucks, but only wear them if the water/mud is going to be higher than my leather boots (about 8").
cor durum laborem

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Post by HDRider » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:17 am

greybeard wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:02 am
Understood...just posted it as a thought regarding that company's quality.
Best overall work boots I ever wore were late 60s-early 70s US Govt issue jungle boots. The trick is finding the correct size.they tend to come 1 size wider than a normal boot. 1st pair I had was a little loose..2nd pair fit like a 2nd skin and I put 'em thru be nice..
I think Rocky makes the military boots today

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:23 am

Mud is going to tear any leather boot up no matter the cost.

I had a pair of Chippewa Snake boots. The Justins are noticeably better. There is a joke that Chippewa boots are the Indian's way of getting back at the white man.
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:58 am

HDRider wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:17 pm
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
HDRider wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:57 pm
Anyone have an opinion on Rocky boots?

https://www.rockyboots.com/rocky/rocky- ... W0235.html

I am on my second pair of Irish Setter boots and they just don't last long enough to suit me. The second pair was given to me as a replacement for a pair that lasted less than a year, and now these are going.
They were $150 or better.

Two things you might not relate to, I am poor, and I work in cold mud.
I can relate. I have been wearing Justin boots for several years, now have pair of Ariat. If it’s real wet and muddy I wear Muck boots but honestly they don’t holdup much better than some of the off brands. I can relate to the aforementioned statement in that I’m currently tying a plastic grocery bag over my socks before I put on my muck boots to keep my feet dry from leaky boots.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:49 pm

Most plastic grocery bags nowadays are intentionally designed/made to leak, so people won't be 'repurposing' them.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:26 pm

greybeard wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:49 pm
Most plastic grocery bags nowadays are intentionally designed/made to leak, so people won't be 'repurposing' them.
Yes, I’ve noticed quite a few with holes in them to start with, and I have to replace them almost ever time I put my boots on.

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Post by pricefarm » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:31 pm

I don’t understand people that complain about Muck boots not being any good. I have a pair that’s at least 5 years old that I wear every day for at least 6 months a year for a couple hours a day or more. I love them. I think there comfortable.

SmokinM
Rancher
Rancher

Post by SmokinM » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:49 pm

I have worn the lace up roper style from Rocky pretty extensively as a work boot and I like them a lot. More than 12 months out of a pair is a pipe dream for me and I have tried those $400 pairs. Hard to find a boot worth wearing less than $100 but don’t see much improvement over $200 either. Right now I am in a pair of Carolinas that have done very well and very comfortable.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:19 am

pricefarm wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:31 pm
I don’t understand people that complain about Muck boots not being any good. I have a pair that’s at least 5 years old that I wear every day for at least 6 months a year for a couple hours a day or more. I love them. I think there comfortable.
I actually like the muck boots, they are probably as good made as any and are the most comfortable that I have found of that type boot. That being said I wish I could get a pair to last 5 years. I might have had some last almost 2 years which translates to about a years worth of everyday wear about roughly 6 months out of the year. Most times about 6 months is the extent of them for me. It’s inevitable that they will get a wire through them or cut on on sharp rock or something.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Post by ga.prime » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:33 am

I like Irish Setters.
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?