Solar Farms

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Solar Farms

Post by TexasBred » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:35 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:39 pm
This thing just keeps getting bigger. Suppose to spread into another town Blossom.. That's pretty far from us. They plan to put up their own transmission lines now instead of using the abandoned ones already standing. People are coming out of the woodwork looking for land to buy or hoping it would come their way. We were told that once things get into motion, there will be thousands of workers flooding our county. They said there is not enough places to feed them close by. This got us thinking about building a food truck. Not that I want anymore work to do, but, might be fun for a short while...
Drive out to the Permian Basin and look at the "Trailer Hoods" and you might get some idea of how it will be. Might be a good time to open up one. :shock:

“Tell me what you brag about and I'll tell you what you lack”

Spanish Proverb

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Post by cowgirl8 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:27 am

Update on the solar farm. I thought I was passing by ground zero with the farm that we'll be part of. But it wasn't. Its a different solar company. The one we're involved in will be 18,000 acres, the other 2000.. Its unimaginable to the size this thing is going to be. Most will be west of us and we'll almost never see any of it.. They are calling for people to open up a camping ground for the people needing places to live. I'm still thinking of making a food truck.
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:54 pm

Everything is relative i suppose..

Not an unimaginable amount of acreage for anyone that has spent any amount of time in the far west or even in west central Texas and certainly true up in the great plains.
18,000 acres is just over 28 sections or sq miles.. Houston covers
I've traveled all over Camp Pendleton Calif's 125,000 acres and Ft Hood Tx is nearly twice that size..
Roscoe wind farm alone covers over 100,000 acres and it's not the biggest in the country by any means.
The nearest real lake to me (L. Livingston) covers 83,000 surface acres.

The real test will be in seeing how many MWs/Hr vs BTUs/hr the solar farm produces.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

ccr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by ccr » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:59 pm

18,000 acres is about 5 miles by 5 miles. sure seems like a waste of land. how can this be as efficient as a gas powered plant? natural gas is abundant.

land around here is $12,000 an acre. don't understand folks thinking $1,200 an acre is good for a lease for a solar farm. you won't be able to use it for 40 years? looks to me like would be better off selling.

don't really understand the hole concept of the solar power except in west texas type land. sorry just my 2 cents.
i know as much about this as anything else i don't know much about
happiness is healthy cattle

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Post by cowgirl8 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:47 am

ccr wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:59 pm
18,000 acres is about 5 miles by 5 miles. sure seems like a waste of land. how can this be as efficient as a gas powered plant? natural gas is abundant.

land around here is $12,000 an acre. don't understand folks thinking $1,200 an acre is good for a lease for a solar farm. you won't be able to use it for 40 years? looks to me like would be better off selling.

don't really understand the hole concept of the solar power except in west texas type land. sorry just my 2 cents.
When we bought out place we paid 160 to 350 an acre. That was in the 90s.. Its gone up, 1700 is what our daughter just paid for some this year, that went right into solar panels. Not sure why land out here is cheap, well, back in the 90s it was. We have been making our living on cattle for over 40 years.. and I can tell you, solar panels will make you more than cattle any day. Once in panels, our son is going to start experimenting with sheep. He plans to buy weanlings and only keeping them for several months, or however long it takes to slaughter. I'm not a sheep expert in any means, only had one in my life and I hated it...lol... But they are willing to work with him. I have no interest in sheep, keeping sheep, nothing. In fact, once we get these panels going, we're going to put the rest of our land in trees. I don't want any animals.. I want to retire...
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

wladdes
Beginner
Beginner

Post by wladdes » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:06 am

We are a solar farm, but we grow grass. I thought wind would be a better renewable source in most of the US, even though they shut down the turbines below -20. It was a common problem this winter.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Post by cowgirl8 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:54 am

wladdes wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:06 am
We are a solar farm, but we grow grass. I thought wind would be a better renewable source in most of the US, even though they shut down the turbines below -20. It was a common problem this winter.
We don't get the wind for windfarms, but we do get sun. Construction has started, but not with the company we're in with. There is actually another company that is putting in a farm out here in Minter. Theirs is 2000 acres, but invenergys is now over 18,000.. They are suppose to start in March, but have put out what I call 'stonehenges' everywhere.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:18 pm

greybeard wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:54 pm
Everything is relative i suppose..

Not an unimaginable amount of acreage for anyone that has spent any amount of time in the far west or even in west central Texas and certainly true up in the great plains.
18,000 acres is just over 28 sections or sq miles.. Houston covers
I've traveled all over Camp Pendleton Calif's 125,000 acres and Ft Hood Tx is nearly twice that size..
Roscoe wind farm alone covers over 100,000 acres and it's not the biggest in the country by any means.
The nearest real lake to me (L. Livingston) covers 83,000 surface acres.

The real test will be in seeing how many MWs/Hr vs BTUs/hr the solar farm produces.
All big things but did you see any other 18,000 acre solar farms? That's what she was referring to.
“Tell me what you brag about and I'll tell you what you lack”

Spanish Proverb

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Post by ga.prime » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:23 pm

Its going to get really cold when the solar farm operators start funneling all that solar energy out of there.
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Post by backhoeboogie » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:53 am

Wind generation is very unstable for the electric grid. Solar is far more consistent.

Hydro would be my preferred alternative energy but we live in flat country.

About ‘74 the media had me convinced we had an energy crisis. I was bought in hook, line, and sinker. It has generated a lot of industry and a lot of commercialization.

Our biggest problem remains as battery technology. We have made very little progress in storing energy in all these decades.
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:46 am

What’s going to happen to wind and solar when the subsidies stop? Power prices will either go through the roof or we’ll have a waste land of big towers and glass panels. Look at the George Town, Tx project, what a disaster.