Border Wall Prototypes

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Kingfisher
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4981
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:02 pm
Location: Austin Texas

Re: Border Wall Prototypes

Postby Kingfisher » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:48 pm

Bigfoot wrote:Not being overly critical, but what would stop them from scabbing together a ladder, and climbing on over?

Technology and a "warthog?" ;)
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3945
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Border Wall Prototypes

Postby Aaron » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:49 pm

Add 500k volts to the one with the wire on top and you have a winner. Otherwise, all of them can be beaten.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4517
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Border Wall Prototypes

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:56 pm

Your never going to stop them all, slow the majority of them down and manage the rest. We're spending a lot more money in Puerto Rico for nothing, compared to what the wall and the security will cost.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3178
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Border Wall Prototypes

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:10 am

Now that the subject has moved beyond viewing pleasure, will a conventional wall work? Despite suggestions that illegal aliens be simply shot - the United States will not approve such methods.

Obviously, this has been debated. I think it was a good idea to build prototypes. It might be also good to build a test wall and employ a contractor to investigate if the wall works.
0 x

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14484
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Border Wall Prototypes

Postby greybeard » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:31 am

'see something..say something..get paid for it.'
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3178
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Border Wall Prototypes

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:10 am

greybeard wrote:'see something..say something..get paid for it.'


My thought was to go further than "seeing". Experiment with what a human might devise to circumvent it. Lots of the comments above express skepticism as to whether it will stop a motivated "would be illegal alien" from getting to the other side. If a stretch say 300 feet long in say 5 proposed locations were tested, it might save a lot of money in building something that will not meet it's objectives.
0 x

User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: Border Wall Prototypes

Postby slick4591 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:52 am

I don't think anything done will be a 100%. What the wall will do is transform a sieve down to a trickle, which in turn will save money over the long haul. It will also slow the drug trade and criminal illegals down. The added border security will give the US greater control and I'm all for that.
2 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

User avatar
Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1551
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:12 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: Border Wall Prototypes

Postby Bestoutwest » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:30 am

slick4591 wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:When tax dollars get spent on it, it becomes political.


Yeah, you're right. Bullets are a lot less expensive.


We all know this is hyperbole and that the US would never engage in that. It's an impossible solution that would result in some serious issues.

Kingfisher wrote:I think your wrong. I like you and usually reaped your posts but I think your wrong if you don't think we can wall off Mexico.


That's fair, I hope I'm wrong, too, but I don't see it. According to the article I found from earlier this week, it is going to cost $15,000,000,000 to build this thing. I'm not sure that we're going to see the reward from spending that kind of money.

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/09/this-is ... st-us.html

Case-in-point, we've already spent a quarter of a trillion dollars since 1986, and it doesn't seem to have fixed the problem at all. So is throwing that much more money at the problem the correct solution? The real question is, is there actually a solution? The way I look at it is that NYC restaurants have every tool in the book to keep roaches and rats out of their kitchens, and they still can't do it. What makes us think we can do it with desperate humans?

https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil. ... r-security
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3925
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Contact:

Re: Border Wall Prototypes

Postby sim.-ang.king » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:48 am

If the government and people of this land had the guts to enforce the laws we already have, you would only need a piece of string and two post to keep them out.
1 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3466
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Border Wall Prototypes

Postby callmefence » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:12 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
slick4591 wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:When tax dollars get spent on it, it becomes political.


Yeah, you're right. Bullets are a lot less expensive.


We all know this is hyperbole and that the US would never engage in that. It's an impossible solution that would result in some serious issues.

Kingfisher wrote:I think your wrong. I like you and usually reaped your posts but I think your wrong if you don't think we can wall off Mexico.


That's fair, I hope I'm wrong, too, but I don't see it. According to the article I found from earlier this week, it is going to cost $15,000,000,000 to build this thing. I'm not sure that we're going to see the reward from spending that kind of money.

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/09/this-is ... st-us.html

Case-in-point, we've already spent a quarter of a trillion dollars since 1986, and it doesn't seem to have fixed the problem at all. So is throwing that much more money at the problem the correct solution? The real question is, is there actually a solution? The way I look at it is that NYC restaurants have every tool in the book to keep roaches and rats out of their kitchens, and they still can't do it. What makes us think we can do it with desperate humans?

https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil. ... r-security


I agree that the wall is not a fix all. But walls work. Like I said earlier you fence your pasture. Still sometimes cows get out. Why don't you hire a team of cowboy's to keep your cattle in instead of building a fence.
Nothing is more expensive than human workers. Believe me, trump knows this.
Instead of hiring more border agent's the point should be the wall will allow us to cut border agent's. And since the wall once built does not require a paycheck, medical and pension. It will pay for itself...
I'LL make it simple. Say you started "bestoutwest septic tank digging company"
You could hire five labors with shovels at 25,000 per year.

Ot you could buy a backhoe, truck and trailer for 100,000 a operator for 50,000and a labour for 25,000.
So without doing the exact math at around 1 1/2 years The equipment investment begins to earn you 50,000 per year.
I know there's fuel and maintenance. But trust people require much more maintenance. Especially government employees.
Not only do walls work strategically. It makes good business sense as well.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3178
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Border Wall Prototypes

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:25 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:If the government and people of this land had the guts to enforce the laws we already have, you would only need a piece of string and two post to keep them out.


Nope. The immigration laws have not stopped the invasion of illegal aliens especially along the border with Mexico. In fact, it does not even stop illegals from invading from Canada. If it was that simple, Trump would not have made the "wall" perhaps the centerpiece of his campaign for President. To use an analogy, you could put 5 Kentucky State Highway Patrol on every mile of US 68 between Maysville and Lexington, and I promise you, I could still get on and break the speed limit.

Perhaps you have something in mind like putting machine gun nests along every 100 yards of the border and executing anyone in sight??? Might work but our international reputation would be on par with North Korea not to mention that it would be contrary to immigration law which does not allow execution without due process.
0 x

User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: Border Wall Prototypes

Postby slick4591 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:57 pm

If we would whittle away at some of these numbers a wall wouldn't be a long term investment.
2 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3178
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Border Wall Prototypes

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:45 pm

slick4591 wrote:If we would whittle away at some of these numbers a wall wouldn't be a long term investment.


I had previously read that. If the wall works, it would be a good investment. Time spent in engineering, planning and testing is well spent.
0 x

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6376
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Border Wall Prototypes

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:41 pm

Cross-7 wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:Not being overly critical, but what would stop them from scabbing together a ladder, and climbing on over?



My thought exactly. If I'm a poor Mexican and the only thing separating me from hunger and poverty is a fence.
I'll pole vault if I have to.

Only thing that's going stop the dope and human trafficking is technology and man power to police it


Its not going to be just a single wall. I saw where it shows that wall, then sensors, a road, and another cyclone type fence.

It will not prevent it 100% but it will make it much more manageable. They will always tunnel and stuff but a lot if that can be controlled with technology like sensors, drones, etc.

The problem is right now we have wide open areas along the border with only knee deep water separating Mexico from the USA. If you have not seen the videos there are large mobs that have formed and tempted to cross. They had to literally bring in black hawks to back them off.

I'm all for this wall. We have to do some thing. It's not fair for US or Mexican citizens that the border remain open like it is now.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14484
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Border Wall Prototypes

Postby greybeard » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:25 am

Bright Raven wrote:
greybeard wrote:'see something..say something..get paid for it.'


My thought was to go further than "seeing". Experiment with what a human might devise to circumvent it. Lots of the comments above express skepticism as to whether it will stop a motivated "would be illegal alien" from getting to the other side. If a stretch say 300 feet long in say 5 proposed locations were tested, it might save a lot of money in building something that will not meet it's objectives.


Went right over your head.
I was talking about bounties. Pay bounty for catching them crossing the border and you won't need a wall.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.


Return to “Every Thing Else Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests