hearing loss

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
slick4591
GURU
GURU

Re: hearing loss

Postby slick4591 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:09 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
slick4591 wrote: Family is always on me to get tested but I already know I have hearing loss

A proper hearing test doesn't just confirm hearing loss.
It is the first step in diagnosing the cause and then determining which options will work best for you.

Perhaps all you need is to get yourself a hand held old timey giant hearing horn. :)

Huh? What'd you say?
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:37 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
slick4591 wrote: Family is always on me to get tested but I already know I have hearing loss

A proper hearing test doesn't just confirm hearing loss.
It is the first step in diagnosing the cause and then determining which options will work best for you.

Perhaps all you need is to get yourself a hand held old timey giant hearing horn. :)

I wonder if what you are referring to is the same thing that I have heard some old timers call an ear trumpet?
1 x

wlamarparmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby wlamarparmer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:26 pm

Regret some comments of some on here regarding hearing loss. Have had tinnitus
for 20+ years, now almost totally deaf right ear. Hearing loss one my reasons retire
as DVM (could no longer trust my hearing for stethoscope), even though I used amplifier
for 10 years. tried several hearing aids, amplifiers, etc. Can sit talk to You all day and carry on
conversation, but in restaurant, party, etc,. everything a roar. Basically a frequency issue,
some young ladies, can see mouth moving, but hear nothing. Guys if You hear well good for
You, don't treat those of us with hearing deficits as lesser people. Some of us have done what
prescribed, did not work, so we learn how to deal with it. When my social butterfly wife needs
attend a party. Try to keep her on my left side and spend lots time smiling and nodding. Not
perfect, but she knows my issues and we get by. Could probably blame on military, but actually
just aggravated by more years of hunting and not using hearing protection.
Wilson L Parmer, DVM
1 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:44 pm

wlamarparmer wrote:Regret some comments of some on here regarding hearing loss. Have had tinnitus
for 20+ years, now almost totally deaf right ear. Hearing loss one my reasons retire
as DVM (could no longer trust my hearing for stethoscope), even though I used amplifier
for 10 years. tried several hearing aids, amplifiers, etc. Can sit talk to You all day and carry on
conversation, but in restaurant, party, etc,. everything a roar. Basically a frequency issue,
some young ladies, can see mouth moving, but hear nothing. Guys if You hear well good for
You, don't treat those of us with hearing deficits as lesser people. Some of us have done what
prescribed, did not work, so we learn how to deal with it. When my social butterfly wife needs
attend a party. Try to keep her on my left side and spend lots time smiling and nodding. Not
perfect, but she knows my issues and we get by. Could probably blame on military, but actually
just aggravated by more years of hunting and not using hearing protection.
Wilson L Parmer, DVM

I'm like you are, my wife tries to always be to the right of me, as that is my best ear. She knows my issues and tries to help me know what is being said. She can also tell most of the time when my Meniere's is flaring up.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:15 am

Was this you?

1 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:58 am

HUH ?
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Sterlingacres
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Sterlingacres » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:09 am

Severe hearing loss for 25years, bad tinnitus.

Several hearing exams x rays, scans. Surgery for replacing fused bones, or coclear implants, I voted no. Who wants an audio implant and be possible next Mc!?!
Settled for hearing aids, 6k for set and a doodad to tether to my phone, can adjust with phone and stream podcasts, phone calls direct.. Plus I can turn off at anytime and be as deaf as I want to be.

Good luck
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:10 pm

My ears ring terrible. I have a hard time hearing some tones, yet, I can hear a cabinet open from the other end of the house....lol Most times I can tune the ringing out, but sometimes its just so loud. I keep a TV going all day just to drown it out. I hate quiet rooms, they aren't quiet to me. Too many years on machinery. I cant hear you if your head it turned away from me, I have to see your mouth move. I just forget about hearing with tons of background noise, music is the worst. I'm kinder to my ears now, hope they hold out another 50 years. I really don't want a hearing aid.. My FIL has one now and he has nothing but trouble out of it, although, I think its more of a honeydew problem..MIL is kind of bossy...He seems to hear fine when he wants to...lol
1 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:45 am

Txpiney wrote:I have worn hearing aids for the last 3 years. They help me a lot, but are hard to get used to initially. They also help with the tinnitus. I have all the symptoms described without the hearing aids in. Good ones are not cheap. Mine were a little cheaper to buy since my wife is a licensed hearing aid dispenser and owns her own business :D

You say good ones are not cheap.
About how much is not cheap?
0 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:52 pm

I am seeing prices of 2 to 3 grand
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:04 pm

pdfangus wrote:I am seeing prices of 2 to 3 grand

Yes, and higher. I don't need one but a good friend of mine did and it was close to $5000 by the time it was all 'tuned up' and everything.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:32 pm

A cousin, 10 years older than me, visited for the Eclipse, back in August... and left her hearing aid on the bed.
I looked at it and said, "Huh. They're making disposable hearing aids now!" Glad I didn't throw it out, cause when I called her to ask if she wanted me to send it, she said yeah, it was a $3K unit. I was shocked!
Probably need to have a good hearing check... I've become my dad... though he had hearing aids by age 55...but my kids rib me about my poor hearing... so I'm beginning to appreciate the hard time we gave Dad, back in the day.
0 x

Txpiney
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Txpiney » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:43 am

Ryder wrote:
Txpiney wrote:I have worn hearing aids for the last 3 years. They help me a lot, but are hard to get used to initially. They also help with the tinnitus. I have all the symptoms described without the hearing aids in. Good ones are not cheap. Mine were a little cheaper to buy since my wife is a licensed hearing aid dispenser and owns her own business :D

The set that I wear was 6500. They are the best offered, and prices go down to around 1000. Her competitions best are 9500 for a set of comparable hearing aids.
1 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:46 am

My sister paid about $2000.00 for hers. She can, remotely, control the "volume" and she's happy with hers. Its easier talking with her now, she can actually hear better and hear when people enunciate. One of her biggest issues was certain tones that she couldn't hear.

She didn't want to spend the $$ but tried out 2 different types and went for the "higher dollar" ones. She's very glad that she did. Said that it has been money well spent.
1 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:30 pm

Txpiney wrote:
Ryder wrote:

The set that I wear was 6500. They are the best offered, and prices go down to around 1000. Her competitions best are 9500 for a set of comparable hearing aids.

Thanks.
0 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”