Scary experience

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Re: Scary experience

Postby Rafter S » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:08 am

cowgirl8 wrote:I'm blaming it on operator error. We had a long narrow pen stuffed full of cows. We actually felt safe packing them in, although had no idea it would happen, that they are very docile girls. And since some are heifers, they don't know the drill yet when it comes to corral work. But its just a experience told in hopes others learn by it.

I don't know why I still bother responding, but I'm having a hard time reconciling that statement to the one you made in the first post about them breaking out and going five miles.
1 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:48 am

Oh.. gas station biscuits!

It sounds like there is a shyte disturber in the bunch, and just one getting all worked up about something can really set off the bunch
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:33 pm

Rafter S wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:I'm blaming it on operator error. We had a long narrow pen stuffed full of cows. We actually felt safe packing them in, although had no idea it would happen, that they are very docile girls. And since some are heifers, they don't know the drill yet when it comes to corral work. But its just a experience told in hopes others learn by it.

I don't know why I still bother responding, but I'm having a hard time reconciling that statement to the one you made in the first post about them breaking out and going five miles.

I also said nothing is worse than a hungry cow except a bored one which you can ask anyone who holds back a lot of heifers, they get bored and just look for things to get into. Don't know why they went so far. Most that left were the yearling heifers. A few of the 2yr olds had calves and they stayed. Our road is tree covered and fences line it. Nothing to eat for them at all to stop them. At a mile and half there is a house with dogs and the road turns to a FM road. I'm just guessing that one thing led to another, someone may have gotten behind them and drove them down. Many things could happen with young mobile heifers like that. All I can say is they came back very easily, nut cows would jump a fence, scatter... they stayed in their cluster and came home easily with just me on my 4wheeler behind them. Another time they got out, husband went into that pasture for a few min. leaving the gate open. THey got out and went the other direction, again, fence lined and tree covered. THey made it to the house where,, I turned them around the took them back..So yes they are docile, very docile....incident in corral happened slowly, no one bolted or ran. They turned to go out and pushed thinking they were going out but gate was shut..
Last edited by cowgirl8 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:41 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:Every time I changed pastures, mine went through the alley. If I give them cubes to gather them up and look them over, they go through the alley.

Most of them couldn't wait to get in the alley.

We have alleys all over. This one goes to the chute and this one time all they got was pour on and never put in the chute. We have the big alley, the one they were in, then the tub and a single file alley that ends at the chute. So we were filling the single file alley and applying the pour on, then opening the headgate with a wide open chute and let them out together, usually 5 at a time.. We do this with all out cows so they don't think the only time they go into that they get poked and squeezed.... Our other set of corrals we have a two tubs, one for the chute and one for loading in a trailer. We'll let them out that alley where they get to eat what's growing in the hay lot. Its all in line so it helps to keep them moving. Buy the time our cows are several years old, its very routine. I try to keep everything the same, just so the cows remember and cooperate. Its important. Our mistake was not shutting the 3 gates separating them in smaller groups..
1 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

blkbuckaroo
Beginner
Beginner

Postby blkbuckaroo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:26 pm

Rafter S wrote:I'm glad I'm it turned out okay, but if they were mine and had broken out and traveled five miles they wouldn't have come back and had another chance.
That's the gods honest truth!
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:42 am

blkbuckaroo wrote:
Rafter S wrote:I'm glad I'm it turned out okay, but if they were mine and had broken out and traveled five miles they wouldn't have come back and had another chance.
That's the gods honest truth!

I think someone must have gotten behind them on the paved road and pushed them down it. When I caught up to them, they came back easily with just me behind them.
0 x

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:39 am

Rafter I'm sure they are not wild cattle as cowgirl stated they are very docile. I would be willing to bet one of those cougars got after them :deadhorse: :lol:
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:22 am

midTN_Brangusman wrote: Rafter I'm sure they are not wild cattle as cowgirl stated they are very docile. I would be willing to bet one of those cougars got after them :deadhorse: :lol:

I forget sometimes posters here have limited knowledge of commercial cattle. Their knowledge is typically limited to the cull cattle we commercial ranchers send to the sale barn and pets. So these posters tend to be skeptical beyond their knowledge.
Speaking of cougars we had a sighting. A weekender mentioned it to me and asked if we should be seeing cougars. Told them that they were lucky to see one and yes we have them and bears. Going to round up my game camera and get them rolling.
0 x

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:52 am

cowgirl8 wrote:
midTN_Brangusman wrote: Rafter I'm sure they are not wild cattle as cowgirl stated they are very docile. I would be willing to bet one of those cougars got after them :deadhorse: :lol:

I forget sometimes posters here have limited knowledge of commercial cattle. Their knowledge is typically limited to the cull cattle we commercial ranchers send to the sale barn and pets. So these posters tend to be skeptical beyond their knowledge.
Speaking of cougars we had a sighting. A weekender mentioned it to me and asked if we should be seeing cougars. Told them that they were lucky to see one and yes we have them and bears. Going to round up my game camera and get them rolling.

Oh here we go again with the big time rancher speech :roll:
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:00 am

midTN_Brangusman wrote:Oh here we go again with the big time rancher speech :roll:

Word of advice. Don't dish it out if you can't take it. Move along. :roll:
0 x

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:08 am

cowgirl8 wrote:
midTN_Brangusman wrote:Oh here we go again with the big time rancher speech :roll:

Yes mam I cant take it, I'm just a poor hobby cattle farmer. I will move along.

Thank you your highness :lol:
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:31 am

midTN_Brangusman wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:

When you resort to name calling, you've already lost.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:11 pm

TexasBred wrote:
midTN_Brangusman wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:Word of advice. Don't dish it out if you can't take it. Move along. :roll:

Are you referring to the "big time rancher" or the "your highness" comment? Don't think either would be interpreted as name calling, but your obviously the expert at that;-)
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:03 pm

midTN_Brangusman wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
midTN_Brangusman wrote:

Are you referring to the "big time rancher" or the "your highness" comment? Don't think either would be interpreted as name calling, but your obviously the expert at that;-)

:lol2: :lol2: You lose again. :shock:
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:26 pm

midTN_Brangusman wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
midTN_Brangusman wrote:Are you referring to the "big time rancher" or the "your highness" comment? Don't think either would be interpreted as name calling, but your obviously the expert at that;-)

Quick question, who where you before midTN, did you get kicked out for being disruptive and had to come back a different name?
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”