Kids and farm equipment, how old? -poll

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.

How old is old enough for the average child to operate farm equipment?

If their out of diapers get their butts to work
9%
No votes
2%
10%
9%
7%
3%
16%
7%
Above 12
38%

Total votes: 58

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Kids and farm equipment, how old? -poll

Postby greybeard » Wed May 17, 2017 1:47 pm

12 or above, and then only under adult supervision.
Just because 'we' did it or were lucky enough not to kill ourselves or someone else doesn't mean the 'average' kid can or should.
(you did say "average child"---right? )
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Wed May 17, 2017 4:43 pm

greybeard wrote:12 or above, and then only under adult supervision.
Just because 'we' did it or were lucky enough not to kill ourselves or someone else doesn't mean the 'average' kid can or should.
(you did say "average child"---right? )

Well said GB! Just because it's the way we did it doesn't make it okay these days. They use to play football without face mask..... does anyone want to do that today? Oh! Yes it was stated the "average child", if we can get some folks to double, match, the pot someone will enjoy the win....lol. Just because it's how we did it isn't the right answer, we luck we have gotten smarter than then.....
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Wed May 17, 2017 6:16 pm

Average farm kid 12 or so

Average kid-I'd be a little worried at 18
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed May 17, 2017 6:59 pm

JW IN VA wrote:Average farm kid 12 or so

That made me laugh and I tend to agree.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed May 17, 2017 7:45 pm

keep in mind, that avg means 50% of them are dumber than you and I, assuming we were avg too.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Wed May 17, 2017 8:14 pm

Several years ago I read about a family that had a landscaping business they were trimming trees one of the small children was putting some brush in a chipper got tangled in the brush and went through the chipper.

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Wed May 17, 2017 8:30 pm

This may not be as cut and dried as it seems, but I can't see a kid under 10 being "in charge" of the operation of equipment. It's one thing to have a young child on a tractor with it in first gear in a level, open field to give him a feel for it. It's another to watch him disappear down the road to the field to perform a major task that he is "in charge" of, or to even have him doing something that may seem vanilla while the adults are distracted by something else.
I've noticed that my dad's idea of being safe was a lot different that what some adults idea of safe is these days.

I, or any other normal adult, could teach a kid the basic functions of a tractor, for example, and I'm sure the child could understand and do ok in a controlled situation, but there are at least two issues.

One is strength. It actually takes some physical strength to push the brakes, clutches, work levers, etc on equipment. I remember seeing how easily my dad could mash that brake and clutch, but it took a little more effort for me. If a person struggles to work the equipment, they shouldn't be in charge.

Another is decision making skills and experience. As I stated before, any normal kid could learn the basic functions of a tractor, but there are often decisions that have to be made if things do not go according to plan. Younger kids don't have the experience to draw from.

I'm sure we all let our kids do things that could be dangerous, and if they make it to 30 with no issues, we can all brag about how they have been mowing hay since they were in diapers and how they had to stop and take a bottle and get burped before they finished the last couple of acres. Yep, we raised them right.

On the other hand, if I had a young child who had to leave this world at the hands of a piece of farm equipment, I'm sure I would reflect on what happened and my role in it. If I found myself to be negligent or ignorant in any way, that would not be good.

I'd also have to wonder if I'd rather be sitting by my child at age 30 and he is perhaps a little more ignorant in the ways of equipment than my neighbors kids who were driving equipment at a much younger age, or would having him in the ground before age 10 be worth anything that might be considered a positive from what he was doing on equipment at a delicate age.

And before anyone else mentions it, I realize that just because one doesn't drive farm equipment at a tender age doesn't mean he won't die before age 10, but I trust everyone understands what I'm saying.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed May 17, 2017 8:35 pm

If someone lives in an area where there is tobacco to plow, that job can start very very young. Nothing behind you to run you over. Flat level ground. Slow speed.
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Wed May 17, 2017 8:38 pm

It is child dependent. My son has been driving tractors and my manual one ton since he was six and is safe around equipment. He's thirteen and has a small engine repair business started and I have no problem telling him to take my truck and go get ____ or having him do light tractor work... Still can't trust him to microwave his own dinner without supervision and it's best to just have him set his laundry out for someone else to wash but anything equipment is safe.
My daughter, on the other hand, is eleven and can cook a seven course meal and clean up after it without supervision but can't figure out how to start the mule without me sitting next to her reminding her. She's still not safe to drive the tractor without me standing on the step helping her steer at an idle. She does "get" cows though. I mean really gets it. I can have her help with any type of cow stuff and she understands where to stand, which cows to watch, when/how to move.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed May 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
JW IN VA wrote:Average farm kid 12 or so

That made me laugh and I tend to agree.

Last summer a local 18 yr old who grew up in town got a warehouse job driving fork lift, passed company safety
training ect. Tragic story short, he made a bad mistake and died in a fork lift accident when he panicked in an accident
he caused, no one else was injured.

ez14.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby ez14. » Wed May 17, 2017 9:33 pm

herofan wrote:This may not be as cut and dried as it seems, but I can't see a kid under 10 being "in charge" of the operation of equipment. It's one thing to have a young child on a tractor with it in first gear in a level, open field to give him a feel for it. It's another to watch him disappear down the road to the field to perform a major task that he is "in charge" of, or to even have him doing something that may seem vanilla while the adults are distracted by something else.
I've noticed that my dad's idea of being safe was a lot different that what some adults idea of safe is these days.

I, or any other normal adult, could teach a kid the basic functions of a tractor, for example, and I'm sure the child could understand and do ok in a controlled situation, but there are at least two issues.

One is strength. It actually takes some physical strength to push the brakes, clutches, work levers, etc on equipment. I remember seeing how easily my dad could mash that brake and clutch, but it took a little more effort for me. If a person struggles to work the equipment, they shouldn't be in charge.

Another is decision making skills and experience. As I stated before, any normal kid could learn the basic functions of a tractor, but there are often decisions that have to be made if things do not go according to plan. Younger kids don't have the experience to draw from.

I'm sure we all let our kids do things that could be dangerous, and if they make it to 30 with no issues, we can all brag about how they have been mowing hay since they were in diapers and how they had to stop and take a bottle and get burped before they finished the last couple of acres. Yep, we raised them right.

On the other hand, if I had a young child who had to leave this world at the hands of a piece of farm equipment, I'm sure I would reflect on what happened and my role in it. If I found myself to be negligent or ignorant in any way, that would not be good.

I'd also have to wonder if I'd rather be sitting by my child at age 30 and he is perhaps a little more ignorant in the ways of equipment than my neighbors kids who were driving equipment at a much younger age, or would having him in the ground before age 10 be worth anything that might be considered a positive from what he was doing on equipment at a delicate age.

And before anyone else mentions it, I realize that just because one doesn't drive farm equipment at a tender age doesn't mean he won't die before age 10, but I trust everyone understands what I'm saying.
and just how are they going to get that experience if they are never allowed to do it???? i would trust a 7 year old with hours of experience more then a 20 year old with no experience on a skid steer!!

Merriam-webster dictionary definition of Experience

knowledge gained by actually doing or living through something (copy and paste)

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Wed May 17, 2017 9:43 pm

ez14. wrote:
herofan wrote:This may not be as cut and dried as it seems, but I can't see a kid under 10 being "in charge" of the operation of equipment. It's one thing to have a young child on a tractor with it in first gear in a level, open field to give him a feel for it. It's another to watch him disappear down the road to the field to perform a major task that he is "in charge" of, or to even have him doing something that may seem vanilla while the adults are distracted by something else.

and just how are they going to get that experience if they are never allowed to do it???? i would trust a 7 year old with hours of experience more then a 20 year old with no experience on a skid steer!!

They gain it by an adult riding along. Not by being turned loose on it. The big difference in a tractor or truck even in low gear and a skid steer is the kid has control over the speed in a skid steer and a kid that age is not ready to make decisions that need to be made when something goes wrong.

ez14.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby ez14. » Wed May 17, 2017 9:51 pm

Craig Miller wrote:
ez14. wrote:

They gain it by an adult riding along. Not by being turned loose on it. The big difference in a tractor or truck even in low gear and a skid steer is the kid has control over the speed in a skid steer and a kid that age is not ready to make decisions that need to be made when something goes wrong.
it was my understanding that the mother was right there! if not and they just sent a 5 year old a 3 year old and a skid steer out into a field with no supervision well that is a completely different story and someone should definitely get in trouble!

Named'em Tamed'em
GURU
GURU

Postby Named'em Tamed'em » Wed May 17, 2017 11:37 pm

When they can hold the clutch down and operate the brakes is when I give them the chance.
Get over it! It could have been alot worse.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu May 18, 2017 12:46 am

ez14. wrote:Merriam-webster dictionary definition of Experience

I prefer the real life definition.
Experience = The ability to recognize a mistake the second time you make it.
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”