Off farm jobs.

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
herofan
GURU
GURU

Re: Off farm jobs.

Postby herofan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:02 pm

I've been a school teacher for 22 years. I plan to retire from that in 6 years.
0 x

reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby reeler » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:30 am

Work for the school & work for the cows :heart:
Last edited by reeler on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:08 am

I do contract work for Arkansas Game and Fish. We mainly do wildlife forage and maintain about 2800 acres of AGF owned land. From hayfields to native warm seasons to annuals. Wheat in the fall millet sunflowers haybean mixes for the summer.
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:53 pm

I run a Ponsse Ergo processor harvesting trees all day long.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:58 pm

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:I run a Ponsse Ergo processor harvesting trees all day long.

Had to google that chevy....one heck of a piece of equipment.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:41 am

Been converting rain and sunshine into something of value for 32 years now.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:26 am

I don't work anymore. :D I have bees and am building that into something that will involve small amounts of work and do a few little AI projects here and there if I like the people and the cattle but cows are my living now.
0 x

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:13 pm

aseptic pipe welde fabricator for food processing and robotic repairs @ PepsiCo/tropicana
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:03 pm

cow pollinater wrote:I have bees and am building that into something that will involve small amounts of work.

I worked for a beekeeper for 2-1/2 years about 20 years ago (one of the best known in the country, and only about 2 miles from my house). I don't have any bees now, but might get some when I retire.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:12 pm

I've work here for almost 19 years: https://tti.tamu.edu/group/crashtesting/. I started out on the construction crew, but since 2009 I've mostly sat behind a desk creating the 3d models and drawings for the stuff we crash test.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:41 pm

I have been in IT since 1980. Seen a lot of changes in computers. I'd suggest the biggest impact on our lives have been the computer, (big ones) the PC and the internet, maybe in that order.

I worked most of my years in manufacturing. I have probably caused 10,000 or more people to lose their jobs through automation. Something to be proud of, right?

I am now working for a bank, still in IT, but I am doing it at home on the farm. Trying to learn how to be a cattleman.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:01 pm

TexasBred wrote:Had to google that chevy....one heck of a piece of equipment.

It sure is. Will chew through a lot of wood in a hurry.
0 x

js1234
Rancher
Rancher

Postby js1234 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:57 am

I've never been smart enough to do anything other than be in the cattle business.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:37 am

We have a fence contracting business, as well as a wholesale/retail fence distribution business. We primarily build fixed knot high tensile woven wire in places that nobody else wants to go, but once in a while we get nice easy ones by the highway. Of course, there is still plenty of barbed wire and board fence to build as well. We also manufacture a handful of fence equipment, so we have a little fab/welding shop too. The wholesale/retail side takes up quite a bit of time, and involves a fair amount of travel, so our cow herd is about 25% of what it once was. We used to have time to make hay and chop silage, but anymore, we are buying most of our feed. We are blessed that our "off the farm" job is usually somewhere on a farm, or at least around like minded people. Visiting with contractors or folks at trade shows is something that I never thought I would enjoy, but it has become one of my favorite parts of the job. I really like getting out and fencing in far flung places with guys that are the best in their area. It's really neat to see how folks in different parts of the country/world get it done. Of course, my most important job is being a Daddy. It's a ton of fun to watch kids mature, although I've been warned that it's not so cute when they hit 13!
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BigBear » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:18 pm

I sell snow and ice equipment for municipalities. Grew up on a dairy farm and now I have 4 kids of my own and the lessons I learned on the farm as a boy made me who I am and I want my kids to have that same opportunity.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”