A new drink??

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Ouachita
GURU
GURU

A new drink??

Postby Ouachita » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:51 pm

I had never had a martini until a few days ago. Could be that I did not buy the best brand ingredients, but I didn't know any better. We had guest and I just wanted to be certain that we had everything possible. Turns out nobody else drinks martinis. Who knew. So I'm "stuck" with this bottle of gin and vermouth, and had finished the olives (which I can make a meal of) a few days ago. So I decide rather than let these beverages get beyond their shelf life, I would figure a way to mix them in a way that I could ingest them, and they stay in. I mixed 10 parts gin with 1 part vermouth......nasty. No olives, so I found a jar of homemade bread-n-butter pickles. Found out they were more sweet-n-sour than what was written on the lid. I poured what I think amounted to 2 parts into to concoction and that livened it up a bit, but something was still missing. You guessed it.........BEER. A splash of Busch Light and I have a drink my wife even likes. I think we can make this gin and vermouth last until this weekend. Not sure about the pickle juice and beer. Just thought I'd pass this critical information along to other rednecks in the event you find yourself with the aforementioned martini ingredients and have that thought of giving it away, or attempting to use it to operate a small internal combustion engine.
0 x
If a really diligent man puts all of his energy into the exclusive effort, a molehill can be made into a mountain

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: A new drink??

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:02 pm

Add shine to it. makes everything better.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Ouachita
GURU
GURU

Postby Ouachita » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:27 pm

kenny thomas wrote:Add shine to it. makes everything better.

Kenny, you know as well as I that diluting shine with gin is an unforgivable sin :nod:
0 x
If a really diligent man puts all of his energy into the exclusive effort, a molehill can be made into a mountain

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:31 pm

I'll just have to take your word for it. I swore off gin almost 30 years ago. That was the sickest I've ever been.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:34 pm

Ouachita wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:Add shine to it. makes everything better.

Kenny, you know as well as I that diluting shine with gin is an unforgivable sin :nod:

You are correct, That would be a waste of good shine.
0 x

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Ouachita
GURU
GURU

Postby Ouachita » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:56 pm

Rafter S wrote:I'll just have to take your word for it. I swore off gin almost 30 years ago. That was the sickest I've ever been.

I am with you. When this bottle is gone...........waste not want not........
Can't understand why our government savior could condone the sale of such a vile product, all the while placing stringent restrictions on such a tasty and pleasurable beverage such as the shine we so enjoy. I can say without reservation that good shine is my choice. Second would be good bourbon. After that, well, there are way too many third place contenders. I do enjoy beer, and there are a few wines I enjoy, but they must be dry with flavor, no sweet.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:58 pm

Ouachita wrote:
Rafter S wrote:I'll just have to take your word for it. I swore off gin almost 30 years ago. That was the sickest I've ever been.

Can't understand why our government savior could condone the sale of such a vile product, all the while placing stringent restrictions on such a tasty and pleasurable beverage such as the shine we so enjoy. I can say without reservation that good shine is my choice. Second would be good bourbon. After that, well, there are way too many third place contenders. I do enjoy beer, and there are a few wines I enjoy, but they must be dry with flavor, no sweet.

Only wine I have tried is MD 2020 and im not sure that qualified.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:52 am

Ouachita wrote:

I actually misspoke yesterday. I swore off all hard liquor back then. I like my beer, and a little wine occasionally, but that's it.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:42 am

Gin (Tanqueray for me) and tonic with lime on ice.

No clue what good that vermouth might be.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:39 am

Gin with cran-apple and a dash of sprite. We call it ripple. Used to drink a bunch of that playing golf. Wife likes gin and tonic. I make a manhattan with the vermouth every now and then. Rather just have the whiskey on ice but same as you want to get rid of the vermouth.
0 x
J & D Cattle

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:18 am

I got some Queen sized olives from Mezzetta that are brined in dry vermouth. They're pretty dang good. I actually ordered two leaded crystal martini glasses from Riedel to make some high class martinis with which I've never taken out of the box. I just eat the olives.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Ouachita
GURU
GURU

Postby Ouachita » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:18 pm

Well I took all the ingredients to the hangar today, and after 5pm we all had a drink. It was a "mixed" response. Everyone emptied their Dixie cups, but the "like" v. "Ok" ratio was about 50/50. The drink was appropriately named the "Fizzy Liver Pickler", and before we all wished one another a great weekend, several ask for the recipe. Of course that was after they were under the influence.
A side note: I have a great group of guys and gals that really enjoy their job. It's more than just a job. It's family.
0 x

houstoncutter
GURU
GURU

Postby houstoncutter » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:33 pm

No respectable redneck would be caught drinking martini's
0 x

houstoncutter
GURU
GURU

Postby houstoncutter » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:34 pm

houstoncutter wrote:No respectable redneck would be caught drinking martini's

Its beer or shine not shaken or stirred
0 x

Ouachita
GURU
GURU

Postby Ouachita » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:40 am

houstoncutter wrote:
houstoncutter wrote:No respectable redneck would be caught drinking martini's

Its beer or shine not shaken or stirred

I will not argue that HC. My definition of a mixed drink is bourbon or shine mixed with ice cubes. The only other mixed drink I have personally ask for is a margarita. This was all new to me because I wanted to entertain some guests, and wanted to make sure I was stocked up for whomever and whatever. My wife likes Long Island Iced Tea, but neither of us knew what it took to make it. It just happened that I had an unusually high ratio of gin left over. I guess you could say I was making lemonade. But I wholeheartedly agree with you. Unless I have special request in the future, I will never make that purchase again.
I will admit the finish line was fine. It is gone, solid gone as of a few minutes ago, and we have very thoroughly enjoyed ourselves thus far. Getting ready to hit the hay and see what else may be cached for us.
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”