Speaking of sausage

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Speaking of sausage

Post by Cross-7 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:45 pm

I try to eat healthy but with my job I eat too much fatty fast food, so when I’m home I try to cut as much fat as I can.
One thing I really enjoy on the weekends is a good breakfast sandwich, but pork sausage has way too much fat, since that’s what I eat most mornings while working.
I’ve tried several turkey sausages but it tasted like azz. Is there a brand that’s better or another low fat sausage ?

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Re: Speaking of sausage

Post by 1982vett » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:05 pm

Give the sausage a break.....do steak an eggs.
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Post by M-5 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:28 pm

Bacon is better
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

slick4591
Mentor
Mentor

Post by slick4591 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:51 pm

Find a breakfast sausage recipe that sounds good to you, then a pork butt that's on sale and trim the fat off of it. Use a food chopper if you don't have a grinder to chop the pork and put it all together, freezing in little patties. That'll cut the fat and you'll have your sausage.
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Post by Cross-7 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:35 pm

I’ll try that.
Think I’ll smoke it then grind it

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:35 pm

get yourself some moose sausage... My buddy made jalapeno cheddar moose sausage... #$%#$ that was tasty stuff and not much fat
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Post by Cross-7 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:47 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:35 pm
get yourself some moose sausage... My buddy made jalapeno cheddar moose sausage... #$%#$ that was tasty stuff and not much fat

I don’t think there are moose in Oklahoma.
Maybe buffalo sausage :D

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:53 pm

Cross-7 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:45 pm
I try to eat healthy but with my job I eat too much fatty fast food, so when I’m home I try to cut as much fat as I can.
One thing I really enjoy on the weekends is a good breakfast sandwich, but pork sausage has way too much fat, since that’s what I eat most mornings while working.
I’ve tried several turkey sausages but it tasted like azz. Is there a brand that’s better or another low fat sausage ?
I don't know how you can say that. Most grocery store patty sausage now (Jimmy Dean/Owens/Old Folks et al) has so little fat in it nowadays that it is difficult to cook properly and there isn't enough grease left in the skillet to make gravy with. They definitely ain't using 'the whole hog' any more.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:55 pm

You only have one life. I'm eating what I want when I want, just not as much as I want. I mixed 50 - 50 pork trimmings with 50% venison hams and used a maple breakfast sausage seasoning along with some Everglades seasoning. It turned out to be the best sausage I've ever made.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:12 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:55 pm
You only have one life. I'm eating what I want when I want, just not as much as I want. I mixed 50 - 50 pork trimmings with 50% venison hams and used a maple breakfast sausage seasoning along with some Everglades seasoning. It turned out to be the best sausage I've ever made.
I believe you. Cause I ain’t seen a single patty or link :lol2:
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:33 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:12 pm
True Grit Farms wrote:
Well if you ever show up, I have a stick of summer sausage, a pack of breakfast, fresh and smoked sausage links. We're eating it like we stole it but there's still plenty....for now.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:43 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:33 pm
JMJ Farms wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:12 pm
True Grit Farms wrote:
Well if you ever show up, I have a stick of summer sausage, a pack of breakfast, fresh and smoked sausage links. We're eating it like we stole it but there's still plenty....for now.
:tiphat: I was just poking the bear. I know you’re willing to share. You know you could give it to me and deliver it. I will even take it cooked :hide:

Reminds me of a story. True story. Older feller, who has since passed on, used to do a lot of fishing. But he didn’t eat fish. So he would go by and give them to my great uncle. Went on for years. One day my great uncle, just cutting the fool, said “there is something wrong with these fish”. Older man said “what?”. Uncle said “they’ve still got the scales on them”. Older feller missed the joke and got his panties in a wad and wouldn’t bring him anymore for a while. But then the relationship proceeded as before.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:56 pm

greybeard wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:53 pm
Cross-7 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:45 pm
I don't know how you can say that. Most grocery store patty sausage now (Jimmy Dean/Owens/Old Folks et al) has so little fat in it nowadays that it is difficult to cook properly and there isn't enough grease left in the skillet to make gravy with. They definitely ain't using 'the whole hog' any more.
Greybeard...their just isn’t a whole lot of fat on a hog anymore. Today’s genetics are pretty lean.
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:41 pm

Well, that's probably true too Vette but looking at the boston butts and shoulders I see in the meat cases, they could do a little better than what they are doing with the patties..
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Post by ga.prime » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:02 pm

It's true, Jimmy Dean you have to add oil to the pan to get it to cook right. There's practically no fat in it. Gwaltneys on the other hand, about half price of Jimmy Dean, is also half hog lard and smells like a boar hog when you cook it.
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?