Navy Beans and Cornbread

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Re: Navy Beans and Cornbread

Postby Rafter S » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:24 pm

greybeard wrote:Same with fried cornbread. I've made it 1/2 dozen times and it never came out like my mother's did. (no, it was not 'hot water' cornbread or 'hoe cakes')
I have no idea what a cottage ham is)

I think one of the problems with cornbread today is it comes ground too fine..not coarse like it used to be and every mix I ever saw had flour in it or at least too much flour.

I hadn't thought about fried cornbread in years. When I was a boy, if we had any cornbread left from supper we'd have it for breakfast the next morning. My mother would slice it first like a pie into triangles, then slice it through the middle to make two pieces half as thick, and then fry them in bacon grease. That was mighty good with jelly on it.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:34 pm

You're not cooking the cottage ham long enough. It needs to be simmering along with the beans the entire cooking time.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:56 pm

i'm telling my wife to cook this for tomorrow!
1 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:47 am

slick4591 wrote:
HDRider wrote:Grandma put a pinch of sugar in hers. Her white beans were great. That is the only bean I don't eat now. Had too many when I was a kid.

Mine is the pinto. Every morning at my grandparents there were pintos cooking. They were served at lunch and supper, then pintos were cooking again the next morning. Every day was a repeat of the prior day. Even tho that was 50 years ago I'm still sick of pintos.

Does stir fond memories. They lived about 1/2 mile down the rode. I'd walk thru the cotton patch in the winter smelling the coal stove where she cooked the beans. Those on the coal stove were for the next day. They cooked very slow. She always put a piece of fat back in them.
1 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:27 am

Rafter S wrote:
greybeard wrote:Same with fried cornbread. I've made it 1/2 dozen times and it never came out like my mother's did. (no, it was not 'hot water' cornbread or 'hoe cakes')
I have no idea what a cottage ham is)

I think one of the problems with cornbread today is it comes ground too fine..not coarse like it used to be and every mix I ever saw had flour in it or at least too much flour.

I hadn't thought about fried cornbread in years. When I was a boy, if we had any cornbread left from supper we'd have it for breakfast the next morning. My mother would slice it first like a pie into triangles, then slice it through the middle to make two pieces half as thick, and then fry them in bacon grease. That was mighty good with jelly on it.

Leftover cornbread? No such thing as I was growing up.
I would like to try that version tho, since my attempts at doing it the way my mother cooked it in a stovetop skillet have come to naught so far.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”