Trying different variations for salsa.

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Trying different variations for salsa.

Postby greybeard » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:24 am

Your waste on a batch of tomatoes will only be about 3.5%.

Are ya sure it isn't 3.4 or 3.7% Jo? ;)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:57 am

greybeard wrote:
Your waste on a batch of tomatoes will only be about 3.5%.

Are ya sure it isn't 3.4 or 3.7% Jo? ;)

:lol2: :lol2: My apologies. Probably could have left that out but I'm a stickler when it comes to efficiency and yield and there are to many goodies in the skins to not use them. Waste not want not, eh?

Here is some skinned salsa we made in 2014. Its pretty thick but if you want to thin it just add water but I prefer it thick and it takes less space putting it up thick.

0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:25 pm

I also have been leaving the skin in most of my salsa. I think I keep going back to my mom and dad telling me I should eat the skin off my baked potato, " it's the best part". I think it's silly to waste it.
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:30 pm

I'm making my first batch of the year tomorow. I stopped today and bought a 5 gallon bucket of tomatoes from an Amish family up the road. It's a mix of all types of tomatoes including Roma's. I want to use up my peppers and onions that are ready but my tomatoes just aren't turning yet.
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:58 pm

ohiosteve wrote: I think I keep going back to my mom and dad telling me I should eat the skin off my baked potato, " it's the best part". I think it's silly to waste it.

Same here, but I do not like the skin of sweet potatoes.

(And yes--Thick salsa. I don't want any watery NYC stuff puddling up in my plate or dripping off the sides of my tortilla chip.) ;-)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:31 am

When I roast my tomatoes, I cut them in half if they are small or in quarters if they are big. Halfway through the roasting, I take it out and just pull the skins off...I then chop up the tomatoes with a spatula and roast them for several more hours until the tomatoes begin to brown around the edge of the dish. You get a very intense tomato flavor like sun dried tomatoes. It also bakes away the excess liquid. The longer you bake the thicker it gets. Kind of glad I got some watery tomatoes to figure this out...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:01 am

I tried some salsa last year that I thought I would hate but turned out pretty darn good. Blackberry salsa. It was good on tacos, breakfast tacos and with chips. I dare some of y'all to try it.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”