skippers

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

skippers

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:24 am

For those of you that make country hams and leave them out hanging or did do the country hams. What did you all use to keep the skippers at bay ? I was thinking just a burlap sack would be ok. What is your way to do it?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Re: skippers

Postby JW IN VA » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:36 am

We used a cloth bag made from cotton canvas but they still could get in.Maybe cedar shavings in an onion bag would help?
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:58 am

JW IN VA wrote:We used a cloth bag made from cotton canvas but they still could get in.Maybe cedar shavings in an onion bag would help?

I was wondering if butchers paper then putting the ham in a ham sock would be enough.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:34 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
JW IN VA wrote:We used a cloth bag made from cotton canvas but they still could get in.Maybe cedar shavings in an onion bag would help?

I was wondering if butchers paper then putting the ham in a ham sock would be enough.

I've seen that done. Never had a problem with skippers myself but I would think it would make the ham more organic and that would be a good thing wouldn't it?
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:46 am

skyhightree1 wrote:

I wouldn't do the paper. Just a cloth bag. Cheap pillow case actually. Do you put borax or pepper as deturant?
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:51 am

Local guy told me to use a paper bag and put Borax in the top.Don't know if I'd want it touching the ham.If they are in there,it is too late.
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:10 am

Jogeephus wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

I've seen that done. Never had a problem with skippers myself but I would think it would make the ham more organic and that would be a good thing wouldn't it?

I think that's a good way to look at it Jo... :lol:

Bigfoot wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

I wouldn't do the paper. Just a cloth bag. Cheap pillow case actually. Do you put borax or pepper as deturant?

I may try the pillow case I use pepper mostly black and red... What do you use BF?

JW IN VA wrote:Local guy told me to use a paper bag and put Borax in the top.Don't know if I'd want it touching the ham.If they are in there,it is too late.

I may try it a couple different ways.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:36 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

I think that's a good way to look at it Jo... :lol:

Bigfoot wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

I may try the pillow case I use pepper mostly black and red... What do you use BF?

JW IN VA wrote:Local guy told me to use a paper bag and put Borax in the top.Don't know if I'd want it touching the ham.If they are in there,it is too late.

I may try it a couple different ways.

Borax (which is poisonous) liberally on the opening to the sack/pillow case. I personally have never used pepper. Our 4h here does a big ham show. Their hams don't resemble anything I've ever seen or done. They use pepper.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:11 pm

Bigfoot wrote:[

Borax (which is poisonous) liberally on the opening to the sack/pillow case. I personally have never used pepper. Our 4h here does a big ham show. Their hams don't resemble anything I've ever seen or done. They use pepper.

Grandpa used Borax but I have no idea where to get it.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:10 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:

any grocery store . Mule team borax on the laundry detergent aisle
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:16 pm

M-5 wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

any grocery store . Mule team borax on the laundry detergent aisle

:lol: You can tell I don't fool with laundry much huh :mrgreen:
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:11 pm

Been a while since we cured hams, I don't remember the exact details, seems like we did put some black and red pepper, but I know that we did use pillow case, and mule team borax.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:51 pm

My family members and online said you rub Borax on the meat.. maybe that's why I'm half crazy
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:04 pm

My folks when curing the hams always used a salt cure. After they dried a thick crusty skin would be on the outside. When mother would bring one in and it had skippers in it all she did was take a knife and cut the portion away where the skippers had burrowed and they would just be in the hard crusty part of the ham not over a 1/4 inch deep. Then she would boil the heck out of the ham. Never had any baked ham at all or any other meat like beef that was boiled. Round steak might happen once a month. Other times breakfast fare would be oatmeal and sausage until they pork they had cured was gone. Oatmeal and biscuits. Fried chicken at least once a week other times we got by on vegetables.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:06 pm

Been a long time since we cured our own hams, and I was pretty young but if I remember right we put the borax at least on the hock end. Maybe that explains a lot about me as well.
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”