Giant Schnauzers and Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
Victoria
GURU
GURU

Giant Schnauzers and Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Post by Victoria » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:34 pm

I posted earlier about Italian Spinones as our dogs' elbow dysplacia is getting worse and we are trying to decide what breed to get next. Today I met a couple Italian Spinone's and they are definitely not the breed for us. They are too timid.
Does anyone have any experience with either the Schnauzers or Ridgebacks? Wondering if they would be hard to keep home or if they are natural cow chasers? Any insights anyone has I would love to hear.
Thanks.

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Post by dieselbeef » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:53 am

i had a ridgeback. rhodesioan female. great dog. never chased my cattle. very proective. sometimes alittle crazy. when she ride in the back of the truck she would try to attack oncomin traffic and when you went under a bridge she would try to jump up and bite it.
i named her dasiy. she was a great dog. either the thunderstorm ran her off or she got stole. i put up flyers about a 20 mi radius and im tellin you i chased that dog for 40 miles off and on for about 3 months.
never did find her but id get another if i could..theyre very expensive dogs here if fl

Victoria
GURU
GURU

Post by Victoria » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:03 pm

Thanks dieselbeef for the resonse.:)

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Post by dieselbeef » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:52 pm

i wish i could get another. watchin that dog run was beautiful thing. like a horse with all four feet off the ground at once...fast

Dusty Britches
GURU
GURU

Post by Dusty Britches » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:00 am

Ridgebacks are known for hunting characteristics. They will jump a 5 foot fence to chase a rabbit, then get lost and not be able to find their way back. If you look at the breed's web site they will tell you that most ridgebacks are lost that way.

I'd love to have one, but I can't find a job for it, so I won't get one. My lab and blue lacy are great protection and do the jobs I need done.

I don't know anything about the giant schauners, but I saw one the other day. Beautiful dog.
Tracey '91
Crescent Moon Ranch

Victoria
GURU
GURU

Post by Victoria » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:09 am

Thanks for the replies.
We decided not to get either one when the time comes. The Ridgebacks we read too much about them running away from home and the Schnauzers are too aggressive - even to their own families.
We are now looking at the Black Russian Terrier.