That darn cat!

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
hillsdown
GURU
GURU

That darn cat!

Post by hillsdown » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:30 pm

I really love the little guy but if he kills one more chickadee or house wren I just might strangle the little turkey.I want to put a collar with a bell on him but then he won't get any mice or moles and the odd gopher.My husband says that's what cat's do but of all the sparrows we have he has to kill the actual useful pretty song birds.Any suggestions.

HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

Outrigger2
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Outrigger2 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:55 pm

de-claw him.

Bez+
GURU
GURU

Post by Bez+ » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:39 pm

Just doing what comes naturally - de-clawing makes him an indoor cat in your part of the world.

Bez+

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Post by hillsdown » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:16 pm

DE CLAW never!!!He is a poly-dactyl cat and that means he is an awesome predator.He does get his nails trimmed and filed once a month as he likes to wrestle with me and the sharp claws cause a lot of damage to my hands and arms.
I guess he is just a cat and I will have to live with that.If I have to choose between the birds and him he will always come first.
Thanks for the suggestions but declawing is out of the question not to mention the ethical reasons behind it.
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

Canadian_Cowgirl
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Canadian_Cowgirl » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:34 pm

train a dog to chase him from the bird feeders(if thats where hes getting them) we have our cats trained, if tehy are near the feeders and you knock on the window and they dont leave we sick the boder collie on them so now you knock on the window and they leave! :) I dont know if that would work for you or not tho.
Yeah DONT declaw him, he couldnt catch birds but he couldnt catch pesky rodents eather. Tho I know you were think of it anyways. I guess you could spray him with water when you see him around feeders, it doesnt hurt them they will come back to you.

Katy
Live,Laugh,LOVE

~Tell a Gelding, Ask a Stallion DISCUSS WITH A MARE!~

Outrigger2
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Outrigger2 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:41 pm

i got one a poly dactyl cat. he is old, but he brought me a rabbit for my birthday last year. declawing was just an option. didn't mean to ruffle feathers. no pun intended :D :D :lol:

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Post by hillsdown » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:56 pm

Cowgirl he grabs them when they are in the catoniaster and I can't see him until it is to late and I find a leg or a leftover wing :( .Our feeders are hung up out of reach and he doesn't like to climb trees.

Outrigger, aren't poly dactyls great.I think that is the only reason that I actually took to a cat.That and the fact that he doesn't act like a cat besides the eating birds thing.You should see him when I bird sit my parents cockatoo. The bird calls him by name and the cat is completely confused. Especially since the cockatoo is as big as he is :P .
HD

Louis Sabin}

Outrigger2
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Outrigger2 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:16 pm

ours is about 17 and quite agile for his age. at least we think he is 17. you can't hold him for long or he will thumb you, as we call it. his name is buster, an orange tabby

Gate Opener
GURU
GURU

Post by Gate Opener » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:49 pm

Hillsdown he sounds like a really good cat. What you need is smarter birds. :D

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Post by hillsdown » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:28 pm

Gate Opener wrote:Hillsdown he sounds like a really good cat. What you need is smarter birds. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gate Opener you think they would learn when half their family disappears .I am such a softy that I really do get upset when he gets the little birdies though.I have spanked him and shown him the dead bird and he takes off all upset; so I think he gets it, and two days later he's back at it again :roll: .
HD

Louis Sabin}

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Post by hillsdown » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:08 pm

Outrigger2 wrote:ours is about 17 and quite agile for his age. at least we think he is 17. you can't hold him for long or he will thumb you, as we call it. his name is buster, an orange tabby

My little guy is now 4 and a brown tabby.We always say his extra thumbs/toes are because we live too close to the chemical plant.I hope he lives to be at least 17.Also I may not always have a dog with me when I do my chores but I always have the Kit Cat/Noodle Doodle.

Post a pic of you big mitted friend.
HD

Louis Sabin}

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Post by Beefy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:21 pm

put up a sign that reads "no birds in the cotoneaster."
Last edited by Beefy on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Post by hillsdown » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Beefy wrote:put up a sign that reads "no birds in the cottoneaster."

I am sorry Beefy but that one went Woooooosh completely over my head.Can you please explain this to me; a literary challenged person.
HD

Louis Sabin}

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Post by Beefy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:08 pm

well, if you have sign that reads "no birds in the cotoneaster" the birds will read it and think "birds are not allowed in the cotoneaster." the cat will read it and think "there are no birds in the cotoneaster." problem solved.
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Post by hillsdown » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:47 pm

Beefy wrote:well, if you have sign that reads "no birds in the cotoneaster" the birds will read it and think "birds are not allowed in the cotoneaster." the cat will read it and think "there are no birds in the cotoneaster." problem solved.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now why didn't I think of that?

I don't think the Kit Cat can read.He has gone to bed so I will ask him in the morning.Maybe I will just give him a book about birds and see if he thinks it's a page turner ;-) .

Dumb me the different spelling of catoniaster and cotoneaster completely threw me off :oops:
HD

Louis Sabin}