puppy losing fur!!

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
Dusty Britches
GURU
GURU

Post by Dusty Britches » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:36 am

It could be mange, but it could also be allergies.

I thought my pup had demodetic mange, had him tested. Not demodetic.

The pup was losing his hair fast, itching all the time, scratches caused wounds that did not heal, and he had a moth eaten appearence. So, the vet asked if I wanted to test for allergies.

The report showed he was allergic to corn, rice and potatoes. And Purina loads their stuff with corn.

For now, my pup is on a raw meat diet. Within 2 weeks, his wounds healed, his hair came back, and he doesn't itch near as much. I am looking for puppy foods that do not contain those 3 ingredients that are sold in my area. The allergy report came with 4 pages of commercial dog foods, but most are frozen or moist. I prefer feeding dry foods.

So, in my case, it was allergies. And the vet said due to the level of reaction in those items, he most likely will grow out of them.

My sister swears by Purina One, but I do not.

Tracey '91
Crescent Moon Ranch

Alice
Deja Moo
Deja Moo

Post by Alice » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:03 am

Check out Science Diet sensitive skin. I had a chow that got "itch" shots constantly and finally they quit working. He was so miserable and his skin was so raw from scratching that I began to wonder if maybe I shouldn't just have him put down.
Someone suggested I try Science Diet sensitive skin formula and within a week I could tell it was going to make the difference. That dog grew a beautiful coat and kept it.

Alice
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

Daisy452
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Daisy452 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:39 pm

cowgirl Ibara wrote:
angie wrote:It is my understanding that golden are vulnerable to a variety of allergies. We have been struggling with our Golden for 3 years ~ same problem you describe, not such severe hair loss though, just very brittle. Have switched dog foods, gone to 2 different vets several times, had skin scraping done, shaved and treated with shampoo, cod liver oil pills ~ you name it. If you find something that works let me know!

The breeder I bought her form recommended that I feed her either pure Salmon Oil, Peanut Oil, or a powder viteam/mineral supplement called Missing Link Omega 3. I put her on the Omega 3 twice a day with her feeding and am also giving her some wet dogs food because I have a slight feeling she may have protein deficiency. I also bought her Oatmeal Shampoo and Conditioner that recomends giving twice a week. But some people have recommened I take her in for some blood work and a skin scraping, did either of those reveal anything besides allergies?

It might be desert allergies, take her in nd get a scraping and blood done, watch how much wet food you give her though, she can gain weight fast, and its hard to get off. Now that Ibara is gone, clean his pen and put her in there, it might be because of the birds and mice she keeps catching. Look for small bites on her skin too. She could of been bitten by someweird desert bug.
Every Calf has a lesson to teach to its owner, don't be stupid and miss it, learn it and live it.

cowgirl Ibara
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by cowgirl Ibara » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:00 pm

Dusty Britches wrote:It could be mange, but it could also be allergies.

I thought my pup had demodetic mange, had him tested. Not demodetic.

The pup was losing his hair fast, itching all the time, scratches caused wounds that did not heal, and he had a moth eaten appearence. So, the vet asked if I wanted to test for allergies.

The report showed he was allergic to corn, rice and potatoes. And Purina loads their stuff with corn.

For now, my pup is on a raw meat diet. Within 2 weeks, his wounds healed, his hair came back, and he doesn't itch near as much. I am looking for puppy foods that do not contain those 3 ingredients that are sold in my area. The allergy report came with 4 pages of commercial dog foods, but most are frozen or moist. I prefer feeding dry foods.

So, in my case, it was allergies. And the vet said due to the level of reaction in those items, he most likely will grow out of them.

My sister swears by Purina One, but I do not.

I thought my dog might have had a protein deficiency so I gave her some minerals called Missing Link. Her fur stopped falling out and the patch of fur missing on her chest is starting to grow back which is a large relief. But i think i might get her tested for allergies also just to be safe.
Castration Team- It takes balls to do our job.

cowgirl Ibara
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by cowgirl Ibara » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:03 pm

Daisy- My Mia and Blaze got into a scrap the other day and now she has a few scabs on her left cheek. But I thought she might have been bitten by dust mights since they had given me all those itchy dots. So I gave her some medicated shampoo then some oatmeal shapoo and conditorner. It really made her soft and her fur is starting to grow back. But I might take her in to get an allergie test done just encase. But have you found anything that will work for max? I noticed he was really itchy the other day.

Daisy452
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Daisy452 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:21 pm

cowgirl Ibara wrote:Daisy- My Mia and Blaze got into a scrap the other day and now she has a few scabs on her left cheek. But I thought she might have been bitten by dust mights since they had given me all those itchy dots. So I gave her some medicated shampoo then some oatmeal shapoo and conditorner. It really made her soft and her fur is starting to grow back. But I might take her in to get an allergie test done just encase. But have you found anything that will work for max? I noticed he was really itchy the other day.

Just peridozone, but that causes the dogs to gain weight, we bought him Prepreation H for his butt, to keep him from scooting.
Every Calf has a lesson to teach to its owner, don't be stupid and miss it, learn it and live it.

cowgirl Ibara
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by cowgirl Ibara » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:57 pm

Is it helping at all?

Daisy452
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Daisy452 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:59 pm

cowgirl Ibara wrote:Is it helping at all?

A little, bit, the doc just put him on antibiotics, and some stuff you put into their ears.