Best quality & safest dog foods?

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
mdmdogs3
Rancher
Rancher

Post by mdmdogs3 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:38 pm

I've fed Diamond feed for about 8 years -
I remember the recall but don't remember the reason either
if I'm right it was some localized thing in one batch of feed (something contaminated)
we also feed our cull chickens - fresh from the chicken house - the dogs consume everything except the tough wing feathers

I have friends that have fed "raw diets" to their dogs for years - the dogs eat pretty much chicken wings and vegies - you can find recipes on the internet -

as for safe - my opinion of the safest diet would be one that you put all of the ingredients together yourself - although you'd better raise those ingredients - remember the peanut butter and spinich with the ecoli contamination

Dusty Britches
GURU
GURU

Post by Dusty Britches » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:38 am

Mahoney Pursley Ranch wrote: Diamond brand dog food was recalled some time within the last year or so. I don't recall why but thought I would pass this info on.

Aflotoxin in the corn they bought from Louisiana in 2006.

The recent corn and wheat gluton recalls did not affect Diamond.
Last edited by Dusty Britches on Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tracey '91
Crescent Moon Ranch

Colorado2008
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Colorado2008 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:51 am

We used to feed Diamond, but it really started to make the dogs fat so we switched to Canidae. It is pricey, but well worth it. We feed them the recommended amount (4 dogs) and a 40 lb bag lasts us almost a month. We had an older dog that we had to recently put down, and I think had we switched to this food sooner, he still might be alive. The Canidae is much healthier than the Diamond. It was not recalled.
Always forgive your enemies - Nothing annoys them so much.

Avoid fruits and nuts. You are what you eat.
- Jim Davis

Victoria
GURU
GURU

Post by Victoria » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:09 am

My dog is not a healthy animal. She has elbow dysplacia which is very affected by weight and God didn't make her an easy to trim down dog! Add on to that skin problems caused by the medication for her elbow...
I feed her Nutro Ultra Weight Management dog food. It's the only diet dog food she likes. They had a recall in cans but not in bags. I don't think any bought food is without some risk. I would kill a cow for her but beef is one of the hardest foods on skin problems.

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Post by dieselbeef » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:47 am

read the labels.
first ingredient is the biggest part of the food. purina one is chicken or lamb first.
most dogfoods are corn or fillers and then the meat ingredients.
i dont know bout yalls dogs but mine dont care much for corn on the cob....or rice in tier bowl...

Texas Ranch Man
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Texas Ranch Man » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:33 pm

Our dog just eats what ever we are eating, has very good table side manners also.
I Pledge aliegiance to the Flag, Merry Christmas, In Jesus' name Amen. God Bless the Good ol USA

allenfarms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by allenfarms » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:35 pm

In my opinion........the very best dog food on the market is Nutro Ultra. We switched to it and have seen a huge change in our dog.....available at tractor supply and petsmart here....nowhere else really.
Livin' A Dream!!!

allenfarms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by allenfarms » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:38 pm

dieselbeef wrote:read the labels.
first ingredient is the biggest part of the food. purina one is chicken or lamb first.
most dogfoods are corn or fillers and then the meat ingredients.
i dont know bout yalls dogs but mine dont care much for corn on the cob....or rice in tier bowl...

amen.....however, just b/c it says beef, doesnt mean it's the best cuts, The best cuts of each animal will have "meal" behind the species....beef meal....lamb meal...ect. if it just says beef....it is byproducts.....yum!
Livin' A Dream!!!

allenfarms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by allenfarms » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:45 pm

Livin' A Dream!!!

3MR
GURU
GURU

Post by 3MR » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:02 pm

I have two dogs that like carrots and apples.
Freedom isnt free, but it doesnt have to be so expensive either!

allenfarms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by allenfarms » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:21 pm

That nutro ultra is like $10 for 4lbs. bag
Livin' A Dream!!!

Bez>
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Bez> » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:45 pm

Kelly wrote:Bez - I always use some of our beef. How do you make your feed?

I do not have them - my kids use recipies they Googled a long time ago.

Basically I do not even cook the beef - but I admit the girls do.

I think my mutts like my plain old bloody meat better, but they have been eating around here for years and are thriving.

I am one of those who thinks all of this dog food "au naturelle" and "wholesome" dog food and "organic" dog food is a load of crap.

We have two shepherd / collie / who knows what dogs. Both weigh in at about 65 pounds and both can run like the wind and do it all day.

I worm them twice a year.

When I feel lazy just throw them raw beef - otherwise I get a couple pounds of "whatever" from the fridge for them. They each eat about 5 plus pounds per day. The girls will cook up a weeks worth of stuff at a time. Different almost every time.

Healthy, happy and friendly carnivores - related to the wolf family, not silver spoon raised - and certainly athletic.

Regards

Bez>

allenfarms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by allenfarms » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:53 pm

your dogs are lacking important things they need to keep vision and all the above good like the fish oils and all the stuff that beef lacks. My people say that human foods that are healthy are good however, you should also feed a good dog food like nutro ultra for all the vitamins and things that they need.

just my 2cents not necasarily right, but i believe to be true
Livin' A Dream!!!

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:35 pm

Here is a what a guy posted on a hunting forum about dog food. Some of this is pointed more at work dogs but some is just general pet food knowledge.

"Well, I used to sell pet foods for a living so I am familiar with most brands.

In good faith most dog owners assume that since the dog food label proclaims "complete and balanced", "premium", or my personal favorite "high protein," it's a high quality diet.

Because of ambiguous or deceptive labeling of the dog food, the owner unknowingly will feed an inadequate diet. For example, I can put together a high protein "performance" mix where the protein component is composed of an indigestible substance such as feathers, hides or hoofs.

Sure, the protein level by analysis might be high but if the dog's gastrointestinal tract is unable to break the protein molecules down into amino acids and then absorb and utilize those amino acids, the diet is worthless as a food source for the dog!

Cheap foods that are "specially forulated" for dogs with high energy requirements always come to mind, They advertise high protein and high fat. But how much of that protein is from highly degistible muscle meats and egg whites? Or are they only using poorly desgestible organ meats and meat meal? By the way...rice and oatmeal are more degistible than corn or wheat.

Humans aren't much different. We could survive off of penut butter and jelly on white bread...but we wouldn't be getting a full range of nutrients for our bodies. Penuts have protein, the rest has carbs for energy and some fiber. But a diet of PB&J is not wholesome.

Guaranteed Analysis helps...sort of. It's a percent approximation of what you are buying. It indicates maximum or minimum amounts of the substance in the food. For example, if Crude Fiber is listed as "Not less than l0%", you have no idea how much over 10% is actually in the diet; or if Crude Fat "Not less than 15%" is listed, does the diet contain 16% or 36%? Yikes!

If you could catagorize all dog foods into classes based on quality, Purina foods fall into a catagory that contains insufficient meat content, use of low quality grain fragments (brewers rice,) fat of unidentifiable origin, and filler."

"Blue Buffalo (found at Petsmart) contains high quality grains and meats, but low meat content...only 24% protein.

Black Gold Signature 25/14 Ultinate Adult is good quality for the price. The first ingredient is a named meat product...though it uses some low quality grains as filler, and fat of unidentifiable origin.

As a general rule, I avoid foods that have "by products," "corn," "wheat,"
"Animal Digest," and the chemical preservative "BHA" which is has been found to cause cancer in lab animals, and is banned from use in human food.

I like to see a named meat product as the first ingredient.

Because my dogs are performance dogs, I like to see 26% or better next to protein content....preferably 30 to 42 %. Carbs give energy but Protein sustains energy longer in the field.

When it comes to price, providing for an entire kennel of dogs can become expensive...but it's worth it to me to keep my dogs in top condition. The benefits outweigh the cost, in my opinion."

Kelly
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Kelly » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:36 pm

Thanks everyone for all of your help.
Dusty Britches...
I make all of my batches a little different so they get a variety.
I use 3 meats (mostly beef, venison, chicken) and about 1/2 cup of chicken or beef liver- either ground or cut up. I fill a stock pot 2/3 full of water and boil the meat. I like to add a small Salmon fillet for the omega oils. I add brown rice , potato, & cook some more. Then add the mixed vegetables or cut up carrots & green beans, broccoli, spinach whatever.... - ( most veggies can be used but no onions , grapes, etc ) I add 2 eggs with the shell crushed for calcium. At the end of cooking I add in some wheat germ & oatmeal or small pasta until thickened. Put in conatiners & freeze anything you won't feed within 4 days.
When I feed ,they get either a TBSP of plain yogurt or cottage cheese with their cooked meal & flaxseed meal, pet vitamin powder & tablet.

Allenfarms& Victoria
I had been feeding the Nutro natural lamb & rice & they did not like it....Is the Nutro Ultra appealing enough to the dogs?