training cattle dogs

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
Little Cow
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Little Cow » Fri May 18, 2007 8:56 pm

I agree with you on that, spinandslide.

I should have been more clear...Arrow didn't require SPECIFIC cattle dog training, but she's known obedience basics since she was a young pup. I didn't trust her with the cows until I called off a squirrel chase when she was at a dead run, (off leash). If you can trust them to listen to you when they're excited, you'll get there pretty quick.

Rod
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Rod » Sun May 20, 2007 10:19 pm

thanks for the post jhambley, just now got to look at the board after my post. You have very nice looking dogs. My heeler is a year old now and he has good instincts but i dont really know how to get across to him what i need him to to in specific situations.

cowgirl08
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by cowgirl08 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:55 pm

ENNOT wrote:Go buy a Border Collie and be done with it.

I got some pups due June 10th, PM me

Oh i absolutely agree. Border Collies are the way to go. We've had 3 in the 15 years that we've lived on our small ranch and you can't find a better dog than a Border Collie. We only have one at the moment and we're looking for some pups.

twmno101
Beginner
Beginner

Re: training cattle dogs

Post by twmno101 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:31 pm

I have solution for ACD's that are difficult to train (no brain) and BC that are too soft for cattle. . .BC/ACD mix! I have puppies available to working homes. They will be excellent ranch/farm dogs, as their ancestors excelled in herding competitions (workling lines BC - Rounder). They are 25% ACD - Blue and 75% BC - working lines, smooth coat. Father is in training for agility and shows great future, but would excel in flyball, too. Mother has excellent herding instinct and will begin her training soon. Both are very high-drive dogs, with a will to please. Puppies are smart and energetic with good structure. I will assist with transportation costs to the right home. A small adoption fee is requested to cover costs for worming, first shots, and microchipping. Please see my website: http://www.freewebs.com/twendtmahew/

flrooster
Beginner
Beginner

Post by flrooster » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:56 pm

i have a couple of blackmouth curs,super smart dogs but kind of specialized as far as cow work goes but in the swamps or palmettos they surely will earn their keep.also very protective of "their" truck,yard,grandkids,etc.