AI A Mare

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Re: AI A Mare

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:08 pm

wbvs58 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:47 pm
Ron, I did my daughters horse about 20 years ago with chilled extended semen so large volume. I got a pregnancy. The procedure I used was to manually pass a tube through the cervix guided by my index finger with hand in the vagina. I don't know the procedure with frozen semen but imagine it would be a bit more sophisticated than my crude successfull attempt like using fibre optic speculum. My daughter is talking about putting her warm blood mare in foal with some frozen semen so I might have to come out of retirement and do some research on it. Timing is the big thing, need to palpate the ovaries to get them just at point of ovulation as the follicle goes soft. Of course an ultrasound does a better job at staging them.

Ken
Thank you. I remember someone telling me that a speculum is used in equine AI. Appreciate the information, Ken.

"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Redgully
GURU
GURU

Post by Redgully » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:14 pm

Once i learnt how to A.I. cows my sister was on at me to A.I. her horses. She has about 12 for polo cross. I looked into it but way too complicated for a joe blow like me. Someone with veterinarian experience at a minimum. My mothers family have been in the horse racing world for ever. I actually agree with not using A.I. for race horses. It would destroy the industry. You would narrow the genetic pool over night, just look at angus and hereford. Plus you would push the performance of these animals to breaking point.

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Post by Fire Sweep Ranch » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:48 pm

We had many mares AI'd when we bred and raised Paints. A horse needs to be sleeved by a vet; they can be killed if you are rough when you rectal them. Blood is not good, from what we were always told. Vet always used a disposable speculum, and did a visual that way. Your brother would need a vet.
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:01 am

We did a small amount of this back in the day when we showed Tennessee Walking Horses. Our experiments did not last too long however because AI'ing a mare is much much more complicated than a cow.

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Post by Red Bull Breeder » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:56 pm

Should be plenty of Jacks standing at stud in Kentucky. Google search showed quite a few.

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:13 pm

Red Bull Breeder wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:56 pm
Should be plenty of Jacks standing at stud in Kentucky. Google search showed quite a few.
Thanks.
Diogenes.

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Post by pdfangus » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:50 am

check with Anthony Macalister in Illinois.

he has been working with collecting donkeys and AI. He raises gaited mules and has two or three jacks.

Donkey semen does not freeze well so fresh semen is needed....

Might be just a easy to take the mare to the Jack.
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:43 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:08 pm
Boot Jack Bulls wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:43 pm
Correct on the TB/ Jockey club thing. I suspect their reasoning is two-fold- 1. Limit who can use the genetics (and thus, how deep their pockets are), and 2. Avoid all of the problems that come with allowing those animals into the registry (kind of like the AQHA and their cloning fiasco).

As for getting AI work done on a mare, one just needs to find a local vet that knows what they are doing. The whole process is a bit more involved than cattle. We are lucky enough to have one of the very best equine vets in our region living right down the road. She is a master of equine repro at this point, and highly sought after. If a person can find one like her in middle of nowhere Wisconsin, I suspect they can be found elsewhere...
Thanks. I will check with my vet to get information on who might be doing equine AI in this area. My brother wants to breed his mare to a Jack. Bigfoot indicated that Jack semen is available. Might be more feasible than I thought.
Raven as cheap as "Jacks" are you can buy a live fully intact Jack for less than the cost of a straw of semen then set back and watch the show.
“Tell me what you brag about and I'll tell you what you lack”

Spanish Proverb

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:30 pm

Ron, I did some searches on youtube and it seems the technique is still with the hand in the vagina guiding the catheter with the index finger, fairly simple technique actually but a lot of attention to sterility needed but the biggie is the timing, ultrasound is very much needed to monitor the follicle (6 hrly) to get it right.

Ken

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:41 pm

wbvs58 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:30 pm
Ron, I did some searches on youtube and it seems the technique is still with the hand in the vagina guiding the catheter with the index finger, fairly simple technique actually but a lot of attention to sterility needed but the biggie is the timing, ultrasound is very much needed to monitor the follicle (6 hrly) to get it right.

Ken
Thanks Ken. I called him and he has an appointment set up with a vet in Cynthiana where they do a lot of equine vet service.
Diogenes.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:38 am

Ron, you brought this up at a good time as I was about to do some research on this myself as my daughter has a mare that she is thinking of putting in foal later in the year. Our next door neighbour's daughter has a good ultrasound that she does pregnancy scanning on cattle around the district so things might just work out OK for us.

Ken