AI A Mare

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

AI A Mare

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:27 am

My brother called me this morning asking about getting his Persian mare AIed.

I told him it is a different process than AI of cattle. He wants to AI his mare to a Jack. I suggested that he find a Jack that he can take the mare to. I assume race horses are AIed, but I assume getting someone to AI a draft horse is hard to arrange. Does anyone AI horses other than at the race horse level?
Last edited by Bright Raven on Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Re: AI A Mule

Post by ga.prime » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:38 am

I always heard mules were sterile. Also heard AI race horses like run in the Kentucky Derby was illegal.
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:43 am

ga.prime wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:38 am
I always heard mules were sterile. Also heard AI race horses like run in the Kentucky Derby was illegal.
I just called him. It is a Persian mare he wants to breed to a Jack to make a mule. Sorry.
Diogenes.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Post by ga.prime » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:50 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:43 am
ga.prime wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:38 am
I just called him. It is a Persian mare he wants to breed to a Jack to make a mule. Sorry.
10-4
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Re: AI A Mare

Post by 76 Bar » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:32 am

Whoops...no offense but I meant to copy your post, not like it. :roll:
I assume race horses are AIed, but I assume getting someone to AI a draft horse is hard to arrange. Does anyone AI horses other than at the race horse level?
In their less than infinite wisdom, the Jockey Club resolutely/historically forbids AI in Thoroughbreds. Don't know the protocol with Standardbreds. AI is allowed with QH's and Arabians and hence those who are raced.
Did you mean to say Percheron?

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:38 am

76 Bar wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:32 am
Whoops...no offense but I meant to copy your post, not like it. :roll:
I assume race horses are AIed, but I assume getting someone to AI a draft horse is hard to arrange. Does anyone AI horses other than at the race horse level?
In their less than infinite wisdom, the Jockey Club resolutely/historically forbids AI in Thoroughbreds. Don't know the protocol with Standardbreds. AI is allowed with QH's and Arabians and hence those who are raced.
Did you mean to say Percheron?
Yes. Percheron. He has a team of mares.
Diogenes.

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 76 Bar » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:17 am

Yes. Percheron.
Durn those pesky spellcheckers. ;-) You had me thinking he was into cultivating Persian horses of antiquity.
FWIW...here's an insightful commentary by a DVM regarding the Jockey Club's duplicitous and archaic negativity regarding Thoroughbred AI:
http://equine-reproduction.com/articles ... -AI.shtml

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:55 am

76 Bar wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:17 am
Yes. Percheron.
Durn those pesky spellcheckers. ;-) You had me thinking he was into cultivating Persian horses of antiquity.
FWIW...here's an insightful commentary by a DVM regarding the Jockey Club's duplicitous and archaic negativity regarding Thoroughbred AI:
http://equine-reproduction.com/articles ... -AI.shtml
I cannot blame it on the spell checker. Lol
Thanks. Do you know if the techniques for equine AI is different than Bovine AI? I remember hearing from someone that the reproductive system is not palpated because of the danger to the equine intestinal tract.
Diogenes.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:01 pm

[quote="76 Bar" In their less than infinite wisdom, the Jockey Club resolutely/historically forbids AI in Thoroughbreds.
[/quote]

Sounds like the Club wants to keep it that way. Cann't have every Tom Dick and Harry breeding up race horses.

Had a friend of a friend who got a bunch of free Standardbred mares, as long as he boarded them. He bred them to a Jack and sold mules to make side money. In for a little...
Stocker Steve

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:46 pm

Jockey club wants to keep it a rich mans game. It'd turn that industry on it's ear, if the average Joe had access to top genetics. I get it, but it makes it all about the money and not about the "sport".

There is lots of donkey semen available ( or atleast a few years ago there was). Any vet should be able to perform an AI.

I was completely involved with quarter type mules for about 20 years. I got out a few years ago, and went main stream (with horses) to focus on rodeo. Tons to be made on quality riding mules. Far far more lucrative than cattle. Many years, I could gross more on 3 or 4 mules, than I did 80 cows,
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:14 pm

Bigfoot I was completely involved with quarter type mules for about 20 years. [/quote wrote:
I have only used pack mules. What are the common uses of this type?
Stocker Steve

Boot Jack Bulls
GURU
GURU

Post by Boot Jack Bulls » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:43 pm

Correct on the TB/ Jockey club thing. I suspect their reasoning is two-fold- 1. Limit who can use the genetics (and thus, how deep their pockets are), and 2. Avoid all of the problems that come with allowing those animals into the registry (kind of like the AQHA and their cloning fiasco).

As for getting AI work done on a mare, one just needs to find a local vet that knows what they are doing. The whole process is a bit more involved than cattle. We are lucky enough to have one of the very best equine vets in our region living right down the road. She is a master of equine repro at this point, and highly sought after. If a person can find one like her in middle of nowhere Wisconsin, I suspect they can be found elsewhere...
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:08 pm

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:43 pm
Correct on the TB/ Jockey club thing. I suspect their reasoning is two-fold- 1. Limit who can use the genetics (and thus, how deep their pockets are), and 2. Avoid all of the problems that come with allowing those animals into the registry (kind of like the AQHA and their cloning fiasco).

As for getting AI work done on a mare, one just needs to find a local vet that knows what they are doing. The whole process is a bit more involved than cattle. We are lucky enough to have one of the very best equine vets in our region living right down the road. She is a master of equine repro at this point, and highly sought after. If a person can find one like her in middle of nowhere Wisconsin, I suspect they can be found elsewhere...
Thanks. I will check with my vet to get information on who might be doing equine AI in this area. My brother wants to breed his mare to a Jack. Bigfoot indicated that Jack semen is available. Might be more feasible than I thought.
Diogenes.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:37 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:14 pm
Bigfoot I was completely involved with quarter type mules for about 20 years. [/quote wrote:
I have only used pack mules. What are the common uses of this type?
About anything you'd use a quarter horse for. I enjoyed reining and roping. A TB mare makes a nice mule, as well as a standard bred.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:47 pm

Ron, I did my daughters horse about 20 years ago with chilled extended semen so large volume. I got a pregnancy. The procedure I used was to manually pass a tube through the cervix guided by my index finger with hand in the vagina. I don't know the procedure with frozen semen but imagine it would be a bit more sophisticated than my crude successfull attempt like using fibre optic speculum. My daughter is talking about putting her warm blood mare in foal with some frozen semen so I might have to come out of retirement and do some research on it. Timing is the big thing, need to palpate the ovaries to get them just at point of ovulation as the follicle goes soft. Of course an ultrasound does a better job at staging them.

Ken