Do coyotes eat small dogs? Yes

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
Nite Hawk
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Do coyotes eat small dogs? Yes

Postby Nite Hawk » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:49 pm

One of the reasons there is such a coyote problem is in some areas is that the animal rights people have fought tooth and toenail to get hunting and trapping banned, and the coyote numbers have exploded, and they no longer fear humans..
Yeah, they "catch and release" they catch and release problem animals in rural areas for US to deal with.. Grrrr,
Yeah and foxes will eat cats too..
Had a wolf eat one of my dogs years ago...
No, they are not "nice puppies" that just eat sick and dead animals, and guess what ?
Some of them get HUGE.
I have seen both the smaller wolves that look like overgrown german shepards/ huskies, and I have seen the HUGE northern wolves that look like "Godzilla". and I mean HUGE.
I have seen more than a few that when skinned out and hung on a wall look like small yearling black bear for size, except they have a long tail. --NOT joking.
I have a picture somewhere of a huge snow white wolf that is hung on a neighbors wall, you would be amazed at the size.
Years ago a neighbor was plowing his drive way, and he quit for lunch. When he came back there was fresh wolf tracks where he had plowed. The wolf lifted his leg and took a pee. The neighbor took a measuring tape and measured from where the pee hit the snow to the ground and it was 30 inches.,
I knew this man well, and I have seen the wolf tracks that look like cougar tracks, except they have toenails in the track- toes--cougars pull them in. I have seen some of these wolves myself, so I don't care what the 'nay-sayer- say at all..
and yes they WILL eat people, they had my sister surrounded in the bush once and she backed her way to her vehicle.. She was on the menu..
I have seen coyotes that were waaay bigger than normal, and there are no dogs to cross with, and I am thinking they are crossing with wolves.
I know back east that is happening according to DNA testing, and I think it is happening here from the size of the "coyotes"..
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:56 pm

Nite Hawk wrote:One of the reasons there is such a coyote problem is in some areas is that the animal rights people have fought tooth and toenail to get hunting and trapping banned, and the coyote numbers have exploded, and they no longer fear humans..
Yeah, they "catch and release" they catch and release problem animals in rural areas for US to deal with.. Grrrr,
Yeah and foxes will eat cats too..
Had a wolf eat one of my dogs years ago...
No, they are not "nice puppies" that just eat sick and dead animals, and guess what ?
Some of them get HUGE.
I have seen both the smaller wolves that look like overgrown german shepards/ huskies, and I have seen the HUGE northern wolves that look like "Godzilla". and I mean HUGE.
I have seen more than a few that when skinned out and hung on a wall look like small yearling black bear for size, except they have a long tail. --NOT joking.
I have a picture somewhere of a huge snow white wolf that is hung on a neighbors wall, you would be amazed at the size.
Years ago a neighbor was plowing his drive way, and he quit for lunch. When he came back there was fresh wolf tracks where he had plowed. The wolf lifted his leg and took a pee. The neighbor took a measuring tape and measured from where the pee hit the snow to the ground and it was 30 inches.,
I knew this man well, and I have seen the wolf tracks that look like cougar tracks, except they have toenails in the track- toes--cougars pull them in. I have seen some of these wolves myself, so I don't care what the 'nay-sayer- say at all..
and yes they WILL eat people, they had my sister surrounded in the bush once and she backed her way to her vehicle.. She was on the menu..
I have seen coyotes that were waaay bigger than normal, and there are no dogs to cross with, and I am thinking they are crossing with wolves.
I know back east that is happening according to DNA testing, and I think it is happening here from the size of the "coyotes"..

Read a couple articles lately stating about wolves and coyotes are interbreeding in north east areas of the US.
1 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:19 pm

0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Nite Hawk
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Nite Hawk » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:20 pm

We have seen some of these "critters", only we are in the west, not the east..
They are waaay too big to be coyotes, with adult proportions and shape, but too small to be wolves.
]They have the heavier body, and more wolf-like head, but they are definitely not wolves.
I would almost say they look more like miniature wolves, but there were other "dogs" with them that looked more coyote --like..
I have seen enough coyotes and wolves to know the difference.
It is not uncommon to see dogs that have a lot of wolf blood in them ( talking about timber--northern wolves)
not always, but very often they have very long stilt like legs.
Wolves can run miles and miles and miles with out stopping.
A Neighbor was raising buffalo, and several were butchered and the hides were thrown over a fence. That night wolves came in and shredded the hides.
about 24-36 hours later another neighbor who has a trap line about 35-40 miles away caught a wolf. He opened it up to see what it was eating and lo- and behold there was buffalo wool in its stomach.
I know both people involved and know both areas, and in our community people often gather to chat over coffee at the local "watering holes", so news spreads fast.
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:27 pm

Why is it I've never known anyone with a dog have coyote pups? It must happen, they always talk about the hybrids in the wild, but female dogs must be dropping coyote puppies too? Maybe people just call them mutts and you cant tell what they are.

We have some large ones on the east coast. Some killed a 20 yr old girl a few yrs back.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:34 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:Why is it I've never known anyone with a dog have coyote pups? It must happen, they always talk about the hybrids in the wild, but female dogs must be dropping coyote puppies too? Maybe people just call them mutts and you cant tell what they are.

We have some large ones on the east coast. Some killed a 20 yr old girl a few yrs back.

I don’t believe it’s common either.
Secondly do the pups being hybred end up sterile being as dog and coyote aren’t directly related like to a wolf.
I have no proof of anything just figured it was more likely for the female coyote to stray outside the breed and survive than the dog.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:25 pm

Coydog
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A coydog (sometimes called dogote) is a canid hybrid resulting from a mating between a coyote and a dog. The term is sometimes mistakenly used for coywolves, which are common in northeast North America, whereas true coydogs are only occasionally found in the wild.[1] This is due to the mating cycles of dogs and coyotes not coinciding, and coyotes are usually antagonistic towards dogs, with even captive specimens having shown reluctance to mate with them.
Hybridization usually only occurs when coyotes are expanding into areas where conspecifics are few, and dogs are the only alternatives. Even then, pup survival rates are lower than normal, as dogs do not form pair bonds with coyotes, thus making the rearing of pups more difficult.[2] Nevertheless, hybrids of both sexes are fertile, and can be successfully bred through four generations.[3] Such matings have occurred long before the European colonization of the Americas, as melanistic coyotes have been shown to have inherited their black pelts from dogs likely brought to North America through the Bering Land Bridge 12,000 to 14,000 years ago by the ancestors of the America's indigenous people.[4]
Coydogs were deliberately bred in Pre-Columbian Mexico, where coyotes were held in high regard. In the city of Teotihuacan, it was common practice to crossbreed coyotes and Mexican gray wolves with dogs in order to breed resistant, loyal but temperamental, and good guardians.[5] Northern Canada's Aboriginal populations were mating coyotes and wolves to their sled dogs in order to produce more resilient animals as late as the early 20th century.[3]
In captivity, F1 hybrids tend to be more mischievous and less manageable as pups than dogs, and are less trustworthy on maturity than wolf–dog hybrids.[3] Hybrids vary in appearance, but generally retain the coyote's adult sable coat color, dark neonatal coat color, bushy tail with an active supracaudal gland, and white facial mask. F1 hybrids tend to be intermediate in form between dogs and coyotes, while F2 hybrids are more varied. Both F1 and F2 hybrids resemble their coyote parents in terms of shyness and intrasexual aggression.[6] Hybrid play behavior includes the coyote "hip-slam".[7] A population of non-albino white coyotes in Newfoundland owe their coloration to a MC1R mutation inherited from golden retrievers.[8]

Captive female coyote mating with a male dog, then nursing the resulting hybrids.
Some 15% of 10,000 coyotes taken annually in Illinois for their fur during the early 1980s may have been coydogs based on cranial measurements. As the coyote population in Illinois at the time was estimated at 20,000-30,000, this would suggest a population of 3,000-4,500 coydogs in the state.[9] Of 379 wild canid skulls taken in Ohio from 1982 to 1988, 10 (2.6%) were found to be coydogs. It was noted that "The incidence of coydog hybrids was high only in areas of expanding, widely dispersed coyote populations."
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Nite Hawk
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Nite Hawk » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:05 pm

I have seen "black coyotes" before.. They have the
"slump-walk--dropped -tail" of a coyotes, but was coal black. Figured it was half black lab..
0 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:15 pm

coyotes will eat coyotes
know someone that had a bait pile and was shooting coyotes off it and hanging the dead ones on a fence couple hundreds yards from there . The coyotes started eating the dead ones so he started shooting them off of that.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:25 pm

BRYANT wrote:coyotes will eat coyotes
know someone that had a bait pile and was shooting coyotes off it and hanging the dead ones on a fence couple hundreds yards from there . The coyotes started eating the dead ones so he started shooting them off of that.

Back when I was trapping coyotes I used a lot of coyote meat for bait. It worked just fine.
0 x

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”