Curs on cattle

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
KS_cowboy
Beginner
Beginner

Curs on cattle

Postby KS_cowboy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:20 pm

Hey, everyone. I'm new here and was trying to find more info on using curs with cattle. I've decided to get either a cur or a lacy for hunting and blood trailing, but didn't know if anyone ever used them on cattle other than just to bay. I work on a ranch and ride out to gather and pen calves every day to sort off and doctor the sick ones. But, honestly, a sheep herding border collie could do 95% of anything I would use a dog for out there. We have good fence and a be nice of a corral to sort in and pretty much keep everything as low stress as possible. The thing I was curious about, is whether anyone has trained a cur to maybe block a gate hole when sorting or return a calf if it breaks from the herd as I'm penning them. Like I said, I really don't need the caliber of dog for my day to day work, that a cur or lacy would bring to the table, but since I'm getting one anyway, I would rather have it with me than in a kennel all day doing nothing. Anything that any of you have successfully taught your dogs of this type would be great to hear about. And recommendations are certainly welcome...
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Curs on cattle

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:50 am

A good dog is priceless one that doesn't know what he is doing the price of a 22 bullet
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:14 am

Curs are more suited to catch or bay. A dog can be trained to do what ever but instinct is powerful
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

KS_cowboy
Beginner
Beginner

Postby KS_cowboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:36 pm

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. Obviously, obedience training is a must off the bat, but does anyone have recommendations for using such a high drive and instinctual dog to work low stress and stay behind my horse when I need him to? Not the first time I've trained a dog, but it will be the first time I train for cattle work. I'm a little worried I might be over my head trying it out with one like this.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:18 pm

It shouldn't be a problem. People do it all the time. The key is logging lots of hours with them which you should be able to do.

I don't personally use cow dogs but have been around quite a few and use cow dog blood lines to hog hunt with. Most of the guys I get my dogs from run them both ways... cows and hogs.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:45 pm

I've got a Black Mouth Cur that will snuggle with a cat while a chicken sits on her head if I tell her to. We also have one that kills everything with a heartbeat and will gladly ear down a brushy cow. I think the key is starting with a pup and putting the time in. BTW, both of those dogs are very valuable to us. We keep border collies as well, and they are easier to put a handle on, but harder to put more grit into. Curs and Catahoulas make great all around dogs if you plan on a working/hunting/best buddy kind of unit, IMHO.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:41 pm

Unless your squirrel hunting, a hangin tree or texas heeler might be more suitable for you , very smart dogs.
0 x

KS_cowboy
Beginner
Beginner

Postby KS_cowboy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:16 pm

Wow... Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm going to give this a try and see how it goes. Would any of you have a recommendation for letting it know what I'm after? As in, a way to let it know we are after cattle that day, instead of coon or coyotes and vice versa. I just really don't want it gathering someone's cattle when I send it after a coyote on a trap drag or start chasing coyotes when I send it to gather cattle in the brush.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:25 am

Good dogs will know what you want before you can tell em.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:34 am

If you are raising a cow dog you should trash break them off of every thing but cattle and teach them "get out" or some thing of that nature to call them off.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”