Black Mouth Cur Not Living Up To It’s Name

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
ncmccull
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:15 pm

Black Mouth Cur Not Living Up To It’s Name

Postby ncmccull » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:41 pm

We got a black mouth Cur puppy a year ago, and unfortunately he hasn’t shown much guard instinct, just hunting. He’s killed some of our cats and chickens and is attaching more to our other dogs than our kids. My question is, will his guard instincts kick in after he hits 2 and matures or would he have shown those instincts already?
0 x

User avatar
Black and Good
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1493
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:21 am
Location: Eastern Kansas

Re: Black Mouth Cur Not Living Up To It’s Name

Postby Black and Good » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:40 am

I have a 4 year old male and he doesn't have a mean bone in his body. He can be jumped on by a dog and won't even growl or fight back. B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Black Mouth Cur Not Living Up To It’s Name

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:33 am

We have a four year old that will eat people, but likes cats, and a 10 year old that kills everything he sees and likes people. I only bought the younger dog to look after my little girl, and she does the job, but she wasn't too growly until she was a couple years old.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

ncmccull
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:15 pm

Re: Black Mouth Cur Not Living Up To It’s Name

Postby ncmccull » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:37 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:We have a four year old that will eat people, but likes cats, and a 10 year old that kills everything he sees and likes people. I only bought the younger dog to look after my little girl, and she does the job, but she wasn't too growly until she was a couple years old.


Did your younger one show any interest in protecting your little girl before she hit a few years old?
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Black Mouth Cur Not Living Up To It’s Name

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:16 am

ncmccull wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:We have a four year old that will eat people, but likes cats, and a 10 year old that kills everything he sees and likes people. I only bought the younger dog to look after my little girl, and she does the job, but she wasn't too growly until she was a couple years old.


Did your younger one show any interest in protecting your little girl before she hit a few years old?


They were buddies from the start, but she didn't get really protective until she was two or so.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1237
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: Black Mouth Cur Not Living Up To It’s Name

Postby ddd75 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:57 pm

i had one and he was very protective of me. i got him when he was like 2 though.
0 x

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6523
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Black Mouth Cur Not Living Up To It’s Name

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:48 pm

I've never heard of BMC being pushed as guard dogs for kids. In fact the opposite... you have to watch them around kids because they will bay them up and can be a little dangerous if the dog is not use to being around a lot of kids.

You want some thing to protect your kids get an American Bulldog. They will die for their owners and never blink twice.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21585
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Black Mouth Cur Not Living Up To It’s Name

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:20 pm

Brute 23 wrote:I've never heard of BMC being pushed as guard dogs for kids. In fact the opposite... you have to watch them around kids because they will bay them up and can be a little dangerous if the dog is not use to being around a lot of kids.

You want some thing to protect your kids get an American Bulldog. They will die for their owners and never blink twice.


Airedale is about as tough as they come and is very protective of the family.
0 x

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6523
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Black Mouth Cur Not Living Up To It’s Name

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:22 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:I've never heard of BMC being pushed as guard dogs for kids. In fact the opposite... you have to watch them around kids because they will bay them up and can be a little dangerous if the dog is not use to being around a lot of kids.

You want some thing to protect your kids get an American Bulldog. They will die for their owners and never blink twice.


Airedale is about as tough as they come and is very protective of the family.


The problem with a lot of the breeds that are protective is they have no sense of when to protect and when to chill. Once they get protective they are dangerous to guests. Bulldogs are well know for their sixth sense of when to protect and when to sit back.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Black Mouth Cur Not Living Up To It’s Name

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:20 pm

Brute 23 wrote:I've never heard of BMC being pushed as guard dogs for kids. In fact the opposite... you have to watch them around kids because they will bay them up and can be a little dangerous if the dog is not use to being around a lot of kids.

You want some thing to protect your kids get an American Bulldog. They will die for their owners and never blink twice.


You are dead wrong on the first part, and spot on in the next. F1 cross is a bad sum biotch that loves kids and eats pigs. Toss a little redbone in if you want them to track and bay a little harder. Dogs that eat kids, well, eat kids. Dogs that live past their first birthday around here will eat anyone that doesn't like kids. Why erbody gotta make it so hard? :lol2:
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison


Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Txpiney and 3 guests