Requesting thoughts from the Gun Gurus...

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Bcompton53
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:03 pm
Location: Kansas
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 80 times

Re: Requesting thoughts from the Gun Gurus...

Post by Bcompton53 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:55 am

Brute 23 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:20 pm
The 6.5C has less recoil the the 270 by far. I despise the 270 because of the recoil. If I was in the market for a 270 type gun I would go 280 with out a doubt. Less recoil and better ballistics. 264 Mag is the same way but the ammo is not quite as common.

Only good thing about the 6.5C is people are jumping ship on them for hunting rounds so there are some cheap one popping up on forums already.

Two guys showed up withs 6.5s this year in WTX. Both lost deer and put them back in the truck for their 308s.

I go back and forth between my 243 and 308. I generally take both when I go any where. In deep STX or WTX where the deer get pretty large I favor the 308 but have not had an issue with either. I have the suppressor on the 243 which is a lot of fun and hard to beat.

I have the same tripod. We use it for sighting in or hunting out of pop up blinds.
If you’re saying the 6.5cm isn’t adequate for those little Texas deer, I think you’re crazy. I’ve shot hogs, Kansas whitetails, and elk with the 6.5 and it’s killed every one.theres never a perfect caliber or the best caliber. There’s only compromises between energy, b.c., sectional density, velocity And recoil. Kill a deer with a shoulder mounted howitzer if you want.



User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15350
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 997 times
Been thanked: 796 times

Re: Requesting thoughts from the Gun Gurus...

Post by Nesikep » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:52 pm

I like the 308, I hate the gun though (jamming sumbitsh with sloppy action). drops a bear dead in its tracks every time

I bought myself a little toy for christmas too.. 22 and 22wmr

Image
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
bball
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3429
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Indiana
Has thanked: 717 times
Been thanked: 289 times

Re: Requesting thoughts from the Gun Gurus...

Post by bball » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:00 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:52 pm
I like the 308, I hate the gun though (jamming sumbitsh with sloppy action). drops a bear dead in its tracks every time

I bought myself a little toy for christmas too.. 22 and 22wmr

Image
Which gun Nesikep?
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop
Exercising compassion provides the most linear and fulfilling state of happiness.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24811
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 277 times
Been thanked: 893 times

Re: Requesting thoughts from the Gun Gurus...

Post by Caustic Burno » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:05 pm

jltrent wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:32 am
Caustic Burno wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:29 am
bball wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:11 am
I went down to my local gun shop and spoke with the owner for awhile. In my neck of the woods, he isnt moving any 7mm 08. He said no one uses that around these parts for whatever reason. 6.5 CM is just barely catching on so a tad better ammo availability than 7mm. He confirmed what Brute stated; the 308 is still king around our area. Thinking about Winchester 70 EW in 308...
Hard to go wrong with a 308.
It was so good it fathered the 243 and 7-08 by reducing neck size.
Bullet selection is almost endless in 308.
Exactly as I looked into a 6.5 CM and decided to stick with .308. Really 30-06 is probably even better in bullet selection and any US game a 30-06 will work just fine and there is a bullet for it.
Your 100% correct the 06 can’t be beat! When it gets down to it a 30-30 is all you need under 200 yards. The 250-3000 was the flat shooter of the day for the vermin guys. Good deer cartridge as well.
All three rounds are over a century old and just not in vogue. The 250 Savage didn’t survive.Gun manufacturers are in the business of selling guns and ammo and have to give the car salesmen pitch on the new calibers.
Really the only game changer I have seen in the last 50 years is the 243. The bullet selection giving speeds of 2800-4000 FPS just smoked the 250 .
The 243 was just an improvement on the old 250-3000 Savage. It stood for 25 cal 3000 FPS. I haven’t seen anyone with that caliber in decades.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8089
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast
Has thanked: 222 times
Been thanked: 213 times

Re: Requesting thoughts from the Gun Gurus...

Post by Brute 23 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:03 pm

Bcompton53 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:55 am
Brute 23 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:20 pm
The 6.5C has less recoil the the 270 by far. I despise the 270 because of the recoil. If I was in the market for a 270 type gun I would go 280 with out a doubt. Less recoil and better ballistics. 264 Mag is the same way but the ammo is not quite as common.

Only good thing about the 6.5C is people are jumping ship on them for hunting rounds so there are some cheap one popping up on forums already.

Two guys showed up withs 6.5s this year in WTX. Both lost deer and put them back in the truck for their 308s.

I go back and forth between my 243 and 308. I generally take both when I go any where. In deep STX or WTX where the deer get pretty large I favor the 308 but have not had an issue with either. I have the suppressor on the 243 which is a lot of fun and hard to beat.

I have the same tripod. We use it for sighting in or hunting out of pop up blinds.
If you’re saying the 6.5cm isn’t adequate for those little Texas deer, I think you’re crazy. I’ve shot hogs, Kansas whitetails, and elk with the 6.5 and it’s killed every one.theres never a perfect caliber or the best caliber. There’s only compromises between energy, b.c., sectional density, velocity And recoil. Kill a deer with a shoulder mounted howitzer if you want.
I'm not saying that. It's just not the miracle caliber ther enet suggests. It's a fad like the 300 black out. Soon they will move on to the next re-marketed caliber.
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Bcompton53
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:03 pm
Location: Kansas
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 80 times

Re: Requesting thoughts from the Gun Gurus...

Post by Bcompton53 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:58 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:03 pm
Bcompton53 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:55 am
Brute 23 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:20 pm
The 6.5C has less recoil the the 270 by far. I despise the 270 because of the recoil. If I was in the market for a 270 type gun I would go 280 with out a doubt. Less recoil and better ballistics. 264 Mag is the same way but the ammo is not quite as common.

Only good thing about the 6.5C is people are jumping ship on them for hunting rounds so there are some cheap one popping up on forums already.

Two guys showed up withs 6.5s this year in WTX. Both lost deer and put them back in the truck for their 308s.

I go back and forth between my 243 and 308. I generally take both when I go any where. In deep STX or WTX where the deer get pretty large I favor the 308 but have not had an issue with either. I have the suppressor on the 243 which is a lot of fun and hard to beat.

I have the same tripod. We use it for sighting in or hunting out of pop up blinds.
If you’re saying the 6.5cm isn’t adequate for those little Texas deer, I think you’re crazy. I’ve shot hogs, Kansas whitetails, and elk with the 6.5 and it’s killed every one.theres never a perfect caliber or the best caliber. There’s only compromises between energy, b.c., sectional density, velocity And recoil. Kill a deer with a shoulder mounted howitzer if you want.
I'm not saying that. It's just not the miracle caliber ther enet suggests. It's a fad like the 300 black out. Soon they will move on to the next re-marketed caliber.
Fortunately I think the 6.5 is here to stay. Way too many companies invested deeply at this point. I agree on the 300blackout....I hear guys say, well it’s perfect for subsonic rounds, which I guess is a thing. Don’t want zombies to hear you shoot, ya know

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4517
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 291 times
Been thanked: 320 times

Re: Requesting thoughts from the Gun Gurus...

Post by JMJ Farms » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:29 pm

Not gonna get in on the caliber debate. Although I agree with most comments posted.

On manufacturer... I like Tikka rifles. Also like TC and Ruger. But I like Guns in general.

On optics... Anything that costs near the $1k you have is gonna be good. Leupold is tried and true. But the Nikons, Vortex’s, Swarovski’s are good too. And I have a Trijicon that I’m very fond of. I will say that Trijicon is the best low light scope I’ve ever personally used.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24811
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 277 times
Been thanked: 893 times

Re: Requesting thoughts from the Gun Gurus...

Post by Caustic Burno » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:57 pm

I agree with Brute on it’s the gun show flavor. The 6.5 isn’t getting traction here. I am watching the 350 Legend to see if it becomes flavor of the month.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

User avatar
bball
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3429
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Indiana
Has thanked: 717 times
Been thanked: 289 times

Re: Requesting thoughts from the Gun Gurus...

Post by bball » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:12 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:03 pm
Bcompton53 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:55 am
Brute 23 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:20 pm
The 6.5C has less recoil the the 270 by far. I despise the 270 because of the recoil. If I was in the market for a 270 type gun I would go 280 with out a doubt. Less recoil and better ballistics. 264 Mag is the same way but the ammo is not quite as common.

Only good thing about the 6.5C is people are jumping ship on them for hunting rounds so there are some cheap one popping up on forums already.

Two guys showed up withs 6.5s this year in WTX. Both lost deer and put them back in the truck for their 308s.

I go back and forth between my 243 and 308. I generally take both when I go any where. In deep STX or WTX where the deer get pretty large I favor the 308 but have not had an issue with either. I have the suppressor on the 243 which is a lot of fun and hard to beat.

I have the same tripod. We use it for sighting in or hunting out of pop up blinds.
If you’re saying the 6.5cm isn’t adequate for those little Texas deer, I think you’re crazy. I’ve shot hogs, Kansas whitetails, and elk with the 6.5 and it’s killed every one.theres never a perfect caliber or the best caliber. There’s only compromises between energy, b.c., sectional density, velocity And recoil. Kill a deer with a shoulder mounted howitzer if you want.
I'm not saying that. It's just not the miracle caliber ther enet suggests. It's a fad like the 300 black out. Soon they will move on to the next re-marketed caliber.
It's an interesting thing to observe. I will add this, while talking to my local gun guy(services all the local LE, etc. A legit gun shop and a guy in the know) he said the 6.5 CM future is a question mark. He said the military branches are very seriously considering transitioning to it but haven't made that decision yet. He claims if that happens, 6.5 CM will be around to stay; cheap and very available. Will be interesting to see what happens.
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop
Exercising compassion provides the most linear and fulfilling state of happiness.

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15350
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 997 times
Been thanked: 796 times

Re: Requesting thoughts from the Gun Gurus...

Post by Nesikep » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:18 pm

bball wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:00 pm
Nesikep wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:52 pm
I like the 308, I hate the gun though (jamming sumbitsh with sloppy action). drops a bear dead in its tracks every time

I bought myself a little toy for christmas too.. 22 and 22wmr

Image
Which gun Nesikep?
North american arms mini master... Makes a bang like an AR15 when you run the 22WMR's
https://northamericanarms.com/shop/firearms/naa-mmtc/
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
bball
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3429
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Indiana
Has thanked: 717 times
Been thanked: 289 times

Re: Requesting thoughts from the Gun Gurus...

Post by bball » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:35 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:18 pm
bball wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:00 pm
Nesikep wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:52 pm
I like the 308, I hate the gun though (jamming sumbitsh with sloppy action). drops a bear dead in its tracks every time

I bought myself a little toy for christmas too.. 22 and 22wmr

Image
Which gun Nesikep?
North american arms mini master... Makes a bang like an AR15 when you run the 22WMR's
https://northamericanarms.com/shop/firearms/naa-mmtc/
Which gun do you hate in 308?
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop
Exercising compassion provides the most linear and fulfilling state of happiness.

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15350
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 997 times
Been thanked: 796 times

Re: Requesting thoughts from the Gun Gurus...

Post by Nesikep » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:14 am

bball wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:35 pm
Nesikep wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:18 pm
bball wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:00 pm


Which gun Nesikep?
North american arms mini master... Makes a bang like an AR15 when you run the 22WMR's
https://northamericanarms.com/shop/firearms/naa-mmtc/
Which gun do you hate in 308?
Parker Hale, it's accurate but unreliable
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Richnm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:05 am
Has thanked: 93 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: Requesting thoughts from the Gun Gurus...

Post by Richnm » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:17 pm

300 Win Mag.
“Epd’s mean nothing without feed, feed your dam cows.”

User avatar
bball
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3429
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Indiana
Has thanked: 717 times
Been thanked: 289 times

Re: Requesting thoughts from the Gun Gurus...

Post by bball » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:07 pm

ga.prime wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:16 am
Hey bball, you might want to check out this Deathgrip tripod before you use up all your discretionary funds. I got this one for myself for Christmas. A little over $200. Weighs about 7 lbs I think. Mine's graphite composite or some such space age material. They also make aluminum for cheaper. Sighting in my Savage .17HMR with it here.

Image
Got mine today and I am more then pleased and impressed. Very solid and well built.
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop
Exercising compassion provides the most linear and fulfilling state of happiness.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24811
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 277 times
Been thanked: 893 times

Re: Requesting thoughts from the Gun Gurus...

Post by Caustic Burno » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:33 pm

bball wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:07 pm
ga.prime wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:16 am
Hey bball, you might want to check out this Deathgrip tripod before you use up all your discretionary funds. I got this one for myself for Christmas. A little over $200. Weighs about 7 lbs I think. Mine's graphite composite or some such space age material. They also make aluminum for cheaper. Sighting in my Savage .17HMR with it here.

Image
Got mine today and I am more then pleased and impressed. Very solid and well built.
Does it work with bigger caliber rifles?
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

Post Reply