Old deer rifles

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Dave
GURU
GURU

Old deer rifles

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:03 pm

The 303 British were mentioned as a deer rifle in another thread. As a kid growing up about half the deer rifles were 30-30s. The other half were a mixture of military surplus rifles. I never see any of those old military rifles out in the woods anymore and very rarely see a 30-30. One would think that they are not capable of killing a deer these days. Where are all those old rifles at? Does it really take a loud super magnum with a high power scope to kill a deer?
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Old deer rifles

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:12 pm

Nope. I buy the old ones. My go to, most favorite gun of all time is my model 94 30-30. I love buying some old heavy Remington 700s.

I can't stand the way most these new guns look. I want some thing I can carve tic marks in the stock with my pocket knife.

My favorite caliber other than the 30-30, is .243. I have a .308 that is growing on me but it's more about the gun than the caliber although I do like the. 308.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:22 pm

Dave wrote:The 303 British were mentioned as a deer rifle in another thread. As a kid growing up about half the deer rifles were 30-30s. The other half were a mixture of military surplus rifles. I never see any of those old military rifles out in the woods anymore and very rarely see a 30-30. One would think that they are not capable of killing a deer these days. Where are all those old rifles at? Does it really take a loud super magnum with a high power scope to kill a deer?

I still hunt with a 32-40 the parent cartridge of the 30-30.
The 30-30 is my favorite deer rifle today .
Most cartridges are made to sell rifles all a man needs is a 30-30 or 30-06 a good shotgun and a 22LR.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:27 pm

I retired ny 257 Roberts about 10 years ago and only hunt with a 250 savage for deer and 219 Donaldson Wasp for yotes and a 218 Bee for smaller stuff. Retired my 308 20 years ago.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:18 pm

Dave wrote:The 303 British were mentioned as a deer rifle in another thread. As a kid growing up about half the deer rifles were 30-30s. The other half were a mixture of military surplus rifles. I never see any of those old military rifles out in the woods anymore and very rarely see a 30-30. One would think that they are not capable of killing a deer these days. Where are all those old rifles at? Does it really take a loud super magnum with a high power scope to kill a deer?

303 British here along with 30-40 Crag, 6.5 Carcanio, 6.5x55 Sweedish, 7MM Mouser, and of course 30-06. Anything that came back from WWII or Korea were the rifles of the day. If you were real lucky you had a Winchester 94 30-30. I would venture to say that more deer were killed with a 30-30 than most of the others combined.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:59 pm

Brute 23 wrote:Nope. I buy the old ones. My go to, most favorite gun of all time is my model 94 30-30. I love buying some old heavy Remington 700s.

I can't stand the way most these new guns look. I want some thing I can carve tic marks in the stock with my pocket knife.

My favorite caliber other than the 30-30, is .243. I have a .308 that is growing on me but it's more about the gun than the caliber although I do like the. 308.

243 hard to beat or 7-08 for some flat central Texas shooting
1 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:51 pm

About half of them are in my safe. lol I really don't know why I got hooked on the 303 Enfields, but the 30-30s are easy to explain away....they're cool. I'd rather bow hunt than rifle hunt, but if I was going to, I'd take the best tool for the job. In the brush, .30-30 would be fine, but in big flat country, I'd want to be able to shoot further.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:16 pm

had a nephew kill a deer, his first, last year with a 303 that belongs to my father in-law have also seen my father in-law kill deer with it. I always thought it was a pretty good round used one 45 yrs. ago myself, now I use a Rem. 270
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:53 pm

I think the last deer killed in Illinois with a rifle was with a springfield 1884 trapdoor. :lol:
0 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:56 pm

I haven't hunted in years, and never was very enthusiastic about it, but I still have the 30-30 I bought when I was about 20 (30-something years ago). When I did hunt I only got two bucks. I was fortunate that I didn't have to track either one of them. In both cases I was trying for a heart shot, but shot high and got the spine instead. They pretty much drop right where they were standing when that happens.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:17 pm

kenny thomas wrote:

303 British here along with 30-40 Crag, 6.5 Carcanio, 6.5x55 Sweedish, 7MM Mouser, and of course 30-06. Anything that came back from WWII or Korea were the rifles of the day. If you were real lucky you had a Winchester 94 30-30. I would venture to say that more deer were killed with a 30-30 than most of the others combined.

come on Kenny,those are modern rifles.When we were boys we hunted mammoths and sabre tooths with spears :D :D
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:46 pm

I don't hunt at all. Way to boring.
However I don't buy any thing later than the 70's either.
Belgium Brownings, pre 64 Winchesters and older Remington's.
The rifle setting loaded and ready to grab is a 94 Winchester 30-30. When I need one bad and fast I want no surprises or failures.
2 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:03 pm

I like the modern cartridges. I hunted like a man possessed in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. Elk are big animals. I finally settled on a .300 Winchester Magnum. Used handloaded 180 grain nosler partition bullets. I shot a cow through the head at a mere 25 feet but I also shot a six point bull outside Yellowstone near Gardiner, MT at 420 yards. I was in Wyoming for 7 years, I have yet to meet a Pronghorn hunter carrying a 30-30 - which to show how old it is, it means 30 calibre, 30 grains of black powder. I hunted Pronghorn with a Winchester Pre 64 270 with a Shilen match grade SS barrel. I took a Winchester Mod 70 with the full length claw extractor to Africa 4 times in .375 H & H. Give me a modern rifle and modern cartridge. I like every advantage I can get.
1 x

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:10 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:I think the last deer killed in Illinois with a rifle was with a springfield 1884 trapdoor. :lol:

I lived there for 10 years you might be very surprised, of the things going on
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:35 pm

Bright Raven wrote:I like the modern cartridges. I hunted like a man possessed in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. Elk are big animals. I finally settled on a .300 Winchester Magnum. Used handloaded 180 grain nosler partition bullets. I shot a cow through the head at a mere 25 feet but I also shot a six point bull outside Yellowstone near Gardiner, MT at 420 yards. I was in Wyoming for 7 years, I have yet to meet a Pronghorn hunter carrying a 30-30 - which to show how old it is, it means 30 calibre, 30 grains of black powder. I hunted Pronghorn with a Winchester Pre 64 270 with a Shilen match grade SS barrel. I took a Winchester Mod 70 with the full length claw extractor to Africa 4 times in .375 H & H. Give me a modern rifle and modern cartridge. I like every advantage I can get.

Again you show your lack of knowledge it doesn’t stand for 30 grains of black powder but new powder .
It never was a black powder cartridge.
The parent 32-40 was.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-30_Winchester
0 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”