Becoming a game warden.

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Becoming a game warden.

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:20 am

I've no doubt the good is out there its just that you won't find much of it in the swamp.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:26 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Grit, are you sure the problem is all coming from the tatoo rule? DOT was going to hire something like 300 officers after legislator's knee jerk reaction to those nurses being killed in the truck accident and they had something like 800 applicants but couldn't fill the vacancies because they couldn't find enough applicants that could pass the drug test and many of the one's that couldn't pass the competency test because they must have just been to dumb to roll a joint. Last warden vacancy I know of came from the warden totalling his truck while DUI - armed and in uniform. One before that quit and went to work for the company he was really working for while being paid by the state to serve as a warden. He had it made for several years making two checks like he did and using state equipment to do private work.

Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be better for everyone if the state just let us occassionally borrow one of their backhoes rather than hiring all these enforcement officers. With a backhoe you could bury a lot of problems.

I attended a few DNR workshops about the license increase and other things of interest to me. It's the same olé same olé and we the people that are paying are getting screwed....again. I really wish I had the smarts and education to make a difference, because the more I prod around the more I see that I don't like. Sometimes I really wonder if there's actually more good than bad in our society.

In Texas despite having to tear the he// outta hundred dollar bill for a combo licence to hunt your own land. You also have to buy a permit at 75.00 to the 500acres to lease your own land.
Trespassing is not to big a problem here with the appearance of game cameras and practically all land behind fence. Mostly the game warden's hang around deer processing businesses and boat ramps. Stay away from those and you don't have to deal with them.

I can't count the times I've seen one roll up on a young family fishing from the bank and find a way to write them a ticket... FOR FISHING with their kids. Ive got no use for them.
7 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:01 am

callmefence wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Grit, are you sure the problem is all coming from the tatoo rule? DOT was going to hire something like 300 officers after legislator's knee jerk reaction to those nurses being killed in the truck accident and they had something like 800 applicants but couldn't fill the vacancies because they couldn't find enough applicants that could pass the drug test and many of the one's that couldn't pass the competency test because they must have just been to dumb to roll a joint. Last warden vacancy I know of came from the warden totalling his truck while DUI - armed and in uniform. One before that quit and went to work for the company he was really working for while being paid by the state to serve as a warden. He had it made for several years making two checks like he did and using state equipment to do private work.

Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be better for everyone if the state just let us occassionally borrow one of their backhoes rather than hiring all these enforcement officers. With a backhoe you could bury a lot of problems.

I attended a few DNR workshops about the license increase and other things of interest to me. It's the same olé same olé and we the people that are paying are getting screwed....again. I really wish I had the smarts and education to make a difference, because the more I prod around the more I see that I don't like. Sometimes I really wonder if there's actually more good than bad in our society.

In Texas despite having to tear the he// outta hundred dollar bill for a combo licence to hunt your own land. You also have to buy a permit at 75.00 to the 500acres to lease your own land.
Trespassing is not to big a problem here with the appearance of game cameras and practically all land behind fence. Mostly the game warden's hang around deer processing businesses and boat ramps. Stay away from those and you don't have to deal with them.

I can't count the times I've seen one roll up on a young family fishing from the bank and find a way to write them a ticket... FOR FISHING with their kids. Ive got no use for them.

Happened to me in NC...Wife and I took our young kids fishing one morning. I have a hunting and fishing license and the kids can fish under mine. Well...up rolls a DNR officer...starts hastling me. Apparently, this one lake is under the jurisdiction of the town and another permit needs to be purchased to fish there...I am a flawed human being...and being ignorant of the law is not an excuse...but I used to be a hot head. Long story short, wife jumps in and takes care of the situation and we pack up and leave. Really ruined a fun time we were having with the kids...ever since I have an ember that burns in my belly...hastling a family out fishing, and I see all these yahoos trespassing, shooting deer at midnight, breaking all sorts of laws...and they wanna give me a hard time while these drug addled losers break every law in the game book with no repercussion. UGH!!

Tim
4 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:24 am

callmefence wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

Nailed it and everyone of them is a dyck. That they are State Police and Game Warden makes their hats to tight.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:47 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
callmefence wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

Nailed it and everyone of them is a dyck. That they are State Police and Game Warden makes their hats to tight.

I saw where 4 warden's shot dozens of deer in a 20 acre pen. I mean I saw it. It was on kinfolks land just a few miles away. They where shot you name it . Through the guts through the azz a few still alive. It made one small town paper no others would print it :?:
They take 82 year old Jack brister to court this week for shooting eagles and Mexican buzzards on his 3000 acres at Bend. He was loosing numerous lambs.

It's good to have reached a point in life where I can wind em up from time to time and not have to worry about it. I'm one of the ones that brought up the mounted owl in the Temple office. They've taken it down.. 8)
0 x

David Crockett

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:52 am

Fence they have the deer regulations so screwed up you have to take a lawyer hunting with you.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:06 am

You have to have a lawyer to fill out a dam tag

Edit to add. A light, a sharp knife, a fine felt tip pen(nothing else will do) and a magnifying glass.
0 x

David Crockett

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:20 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:Fence they have the deer regulations so screwed up you have to take a lawyer hunting with you.

Regulations here are sometimes based more on politics than biology and I don't follow the political regulations and have at times enacted my own - more biologically sound rules. Thankfully they are catching up with me but for years I had two seasons which were Doe Days and then Be Proud its a Doe Day and the biggest difference between the two was whether you had your tailgate up or down.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:05 pm

It's very sad that some folks can't manage their property like they see fit. And it's very sad that some folks aren't capable of managing their property like it needs to be.
Bad neighbors can hurt your deer management, but I had to quit letting friends shoot cull bucks because they were worse than my neighbors. The majority of people have no idea of what their their looking at when it comes to a deer. I see how many anterless deer end up being bucks when we start our doe killings every year.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:18 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:It's very sad that some folks can't manage their property like they see fit. And it's very sad that some folks aren't capable of managing their property like it needs to be.
Bad neighbors can hurt your deer management, but I had to quit letting friends shoot cull bucks because they were worse than my neighbors. The majority of people have no idea of what their their looking at when it comes to a deer. I see how many anterless deer end up being bucks when we start our doe killings every year.

I know what you mean and that is a pet peeve of mine but then again it might be that in our ignorance we just don't know what a trophy spike is because if you think about it those who typically take these trophies are usually the vocal, most learned, the most ethical sportsmen around the campfire. If you don't believe me just ask them.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:54 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:It's very sad that some folks can't manage their property like they see fit. And it's very sad that some folks aren't capable of managing their property like it needs to be.

I saw a picture on another thread of I believe a pretty good buck your brother shot. Seems like the buck and the racks in the back ground where all very similar. Kinda tall and diamond shaped racks. Have you noticed that in your deer. It's interesting how dominant horn shape can vary from one small area to another. Sometimes one property to another.
0 x

David Crockett

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:24 pm

callmefence wrote:

I saw a picture on another thread of I believe a pretty good buck your brother shot. Seems like the buck and the racks in the back ground where all very similar. Kinda tall and diamond shaped racks. Have you noticed that in your deer. It's interesting how dominant horn shape can vary from one small area to another. Sometimes one property to another.

Yes the deer in our area are predominantly high racked, I've seen very few 20"+ wide racked bucks in our part of the county.
Here's another 10 pt that my brother shot a few days ago. I've got some really good video of this buck a few days before he killed him. My brother wants to kill a 160 class buck, but he can't let them nice one's go. I'm going to try and edit some video and hopefully post it after the season. I shot some mighty fine bucks on video this year. I even have the buck I've been after on video you can't tell he has split G2's but you can see he's massive. I had him at 585 yards with a doe, but the wind was blowing so hard I didn't feel comfortable taking a shot.
Most of those bucks in the background were 200+ pounds and 5+ years old culls. There not trophies to anyone but me, I hunted one big 7 pt for years, he was 238 lbs on the hoof which is a heavyweight buck for us now. I have a very heavy thick antlered cull buck that I've been hunting for 3 years without any luck. Once a buck gets past 3 1/2 years old they get mighty tough to kill in our thick woods.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:53 pm

callmefence wrote:You have to have a lawyer to fill out a dam tag

Edit to add. A light, a sharp knife, a fine felt tip pen(nothing else will do) and a magnifying glass.

Speaking of that my buddies were just on a hunt where the GW wrote a guy a $500 ticket for inking out the date on his tag rather than cutting it.

..... cue me going ape $hit and probably getting arrested. :shock:
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:14 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
callmefence wrote:You have to have a lawyer to fill out a dam tag

Speaking of that my buddies were just on a hunt where the GW wrote a guy a $500 ticket for inking out the date on his tag rather than cutting it.

..... cue me going ape $hit and probably getting arrested. :shock:

There prycks never met one that wasn’t. They are not thought of very highly in this part of the state.
Had one last year bust a kid for a 12 1/2 inch buck. His first one.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:15 pm

Dogs and Cows wrote:
Happened to me in NC...Wife and I took our young kids fishing one morning. I have a hunting and fishing license and the kids can fish under mine. Well...up rolls a DNR officer...starts hastling me. Apparently, this one lake is under the jurisdiction of the town and another permit needs to be purchased to fish there...I am a flawed human being...and being ignorant of the law is not an excuse...but I used to be a hot head. Long story short, wife jumps in and takes care of the situation and we pack up and leave. Really ruined a fun time we were having with the kids...ever since I have an ember that burns in my belly...hastling a family out fishing, and I see all these yahoos trespassing, shooting deer at midnight, breaking all sorts of laws...and they wanna give me a hard time while these drug addled losers break every law in the game book with no repercussion. UGH!!

Tim

He was probably just completely exhausted and in a foul mood from being out actually trying to catch all those yahoos trespassing, shooting deer at midnight, breaking all sort of laws.... drug addled losers breaking every law in the game book with no repercussion as you said. You just never know what he's been doing on his shift before he comes to some dad who failed to learn the laws. You wanted the same threatment "you think" all of these worthless law breakers are getting.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”