Big spider

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Big spider

Postby Ky hills » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:37 pm

While in Oklahoma, last week, wife and I went to a park, and on the way driving up she saw a big spider crossing the road in front of us. There wasn't any other cars around so we pulled off to get a loser look ( can't believe she did that cause here at home she hollers for me frequently to come get rid of a spider). While taking a picture of it, it turns and comes toward us.
We go back to the car, and it was still coming toward the car. I was wanting to figure out some item to put beside it for a size reference, but when it changed course and come toward us, we decided to not bother it anymore. I would say that legs and body all would cover up a jar lid. We see on very rare occasions large brown ones that size. Saw one while pulling tobacco plants in Magoffin County KY several years ago. I had just moved and put my hand down on the ground next to a big brown one, it just sat there for a bit and moved along
Does anybody know what kind of spider this was?

0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Big spider

Postby dun » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:30 am

Looks like one of the jillion types of tarantulas
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:40 am

Photos look like they were taken by google earth... ya shoulda parked a buick alongside it, so we coulda saw just
How BIG it really was. :tiphat:
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:37 am

KY Hills,

Looks like a wolf spider. There are several species (Hogna sp.) in Kentucky and some are the size of a silver dollar. The larger species come in different color phases. I could not enlarge the picture but it looks like a wolf spider.

0 x

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:27 am

me too...we got banana spiders..those are big..that wolf looks like a baby to me
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”