I guess it's have a shower, clean up the ute and go into town again tomorrow for another tube of metricure.
Either that, or book the second heifer onto the next truck off farm... and the pair of them are starting to pick up condition and look healthy at last. Both vet-assisted calvings in August, the vet made a judgment call not to treat her metritis because I'd inseminated her 5 days before and weighing up the chances of risking the pregnancy against treating the infection... well, that was what he decided.
Returned to heat this morning, AI'd tonight and the mucus is *yuck*. Great, wasted two straws and six weeks of the mating season (because this one won't hold either, so even if I treat her tomorrow and manage to clear up the infection it's another three weeks lost).
182 calvings this year. Three assists - one backwards, one breech, one with a front leg bent and jammed in the heifer's pelvis. Still, I think that's the lowest assistance rate ever at less than 2%, about 3 - 5% is normal. The two the vet had to attend to are the heifers in this thread, neither came into milk properly. The one I calved was also treated for metritis.