Raising calf on a holstein

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Re: Raising calf on a holstein

Post by snoopdog » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:31 pm

If you'll cross the heifers with a gert bull, you'll have some fine cattle to build from. Then add angus/hereford.

Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Hardin Farms
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Hardin Farms » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:36 am

snoopdog wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:31 pm
If you'll cross the heifers with a gert bull, you'll have some fine cattle to build from. Then add angus/hereford.
My only concern with the gert influence is adding more milking ability to the mix. All the gerts I've been around were pretty heavy milkers. Also, i hoped the angus and hereford would make them a little more moderately sized. I would like the length added by the gert though. It is definitely something to look at. My swiss cows did come from some good stock. They are very sound cows so i plan to keep them for a while and try some different breeds with them to see how they work.

Hardin Farms
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Hardin Farms » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:23 am

Just a little update on the holstein cross. The pictures of the red calf are at 6 weeks. Shes not all leg and bone so far. Really happy with the way shes turning out. You can see in the rear picture that she does have a little bit of meat back there.

The bull picture is a young bull we are using to breed with currently. I really like his disposition and he was sire by a Boyd New Day son, so hopefully he'll be a good maternal bull for a couple years to keep some crosses.

The Brown Swiss pictured is one of our favorite cows on the place. She is a pet!

Pardon the flies.. they have been remedied since taking the picture. Also the pasture is full of weeds, but thats a work in progress. My bush hog is down and progress has been quite slow on it. Hopefully will get it going by the end of the week.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:20 pm

Glad to see that the cows are working out for you. It is nice to see someone being able to take some sad young cows and help them become something much more productive.
Not a bad looking young bull, ought to get some decent calves out of the cross.
Weeds are everywhere here too. Can't seem to get to bush hogging as fast or as often as we should. Has been quite hot and some areas real dry here lately too.
You take it as it comes and do the best you can.
I think you have done good with the cows. They sure look alot better than the first few pictures. They are dairy so will never be fat and round..... but they look like cows and not like ribs. Calf looks pretty decent too. Congrats.

Hardin Farms
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Hardin Farms » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:59 am

And finally the second one that was bred had a calf....... yesterday around 2 oclock

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:56 pm

Calf looks good. Momma looks good too for a holstein on just pasture. That is probably a blessing because she will not make too much milk on just pasture. She looks even better as she has grown some too. Again, you did real good buying them for next to nothing, and being able to turn them around condition wise, and get a couple calves out of the bargain. I think this is going to be a real good investment for you in the next couple of years because I think prices will uptick a bit in 21 and 22. You will have more calves to sell in the end of 20 or early 21.
Glad to see the update.

Hardin Farms
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Hardin Farms » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:39 am

farmerjan wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:56 pm
Calf looks good. Momma looks good too for a holstein on just pasture. That is probably a blessing because she will not make too much milk on just pasture. She looks even better as she has grown some too. Again, you did real good buying them for next to nothing, and being able to turn them around condition wise, and get a couple calves out of the bargain. I think this is going to be a real good investment for you in the next couple of years because I think prices will uptick a bit in 21 and 22. You will have more calves to sell in the end of 20 or early 21.
Glad to see the update.
It has been a blessing. Neither cow has "overproduced milk. I think the combination of them being heifers and the fact that they are on pasture only has helped moderate milk production. I am pleased with everything so far. I have a winter pasture that we are probably going to turn them over in to within the next month or so. Dry conditions really hurt my summer pasture, but we are still getting a little growth on our fescue. I'm excited to see what kind of calves the Brown Swiss Cows bring. I have mulled over the idea of using them as recip cows in a couple years after seeing how they raise a calf. Any way i go, they'll pay off. Just trying to decide which way i want to go with them.