Jersey x holstein

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
Petercoates87
Cowhand
Cowhand

Jersey x holstein

Postby Petercoates87 » Tue May 10, 2016 10:51 am

Just wondering what's everyone's thoughts r bout this cross. I just bought a jersey bout a month ago n she was breed with a Holstein. She had her calf n it's a heifer. I'm thinking bout keeping her.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: Jersey x holstein

Postby Son of Butch » Tue May 10, 2016 10:57 am

Hojos make excellent dairy cows, but not very good beef cows.
2 neighboring dairies both good dairy farmers, one loves them, the other tried them and hated them.
Size is between Jersey and Holstein with higher fertility.
Hojos milk more than Jerseys but have lower butterfat % and protein.
Hojos produce less milk than holsteins, but have a higher % butterfat and protein.
Last edited by Son of Butch on Tue May 10, 2016 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Petercoates87
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Petercoates87 » Tue May 10, 2016 10:59 am

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I got 2 other beef cows. N I'd probably breed her with a beef bull. But I couldn't find a whole lot bout them online. Do they make more or bout the same amount of milk as the jersey?
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue May 10, 2016 1:10 pm

That cross makes a good dairy cow but their offspring are generally duds
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue May 10, 2016 3:14 pm

dun wrote:That cross makes a good dairy cow but their offspring are generally duds

So go with a three breed rotational cross?
0 x
Stocker Steve

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue May 10, 2016 5:48 pm

No, when it won;t breed back sell it for slaughter. Also sell all the offpsring
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

cbcr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby cbcr » Tue May 10, 2016 7:51 pm

We have some members that are breeding their HOJO to Viking Red or Norwegian Red bulls. Another good cross would be the Normande, they are another good dual purpose breed from France, should compliment the HOJO quite well.
0 x

cbcr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby cbcr » Tue May 10, 2016 8:40 pm

0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed May 11, 2016 6:38 pm

Looks like per cow vs. per acre again.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed May 11, 2016 6:39 pm

cbcr wrote:We have some members that are breeding their HOJO to Viking Red or Norwegian Red bulls. Another good cross would be the Normande, they are another good dual purpose breed from France, should compliment the HOJO quite well.

I like Normande.
I have never worked with Viking Red, but I herd they were a kicking strain of Ayrshire.
0 x
Stocker Steve

cbcr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby cbcr » Wed May 11, 2016 11:02 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
cbcr wrote:We have some members that are breeding their HOJO to Viking Red or Norwegian Red bulls. Another good cross would be the Normande, they are another good dual purpose breed from France, should compliment the HOJO quite well.

I like Normande.
I have never worked with Viking Red, but I herd they were a kicking strain of Ayrshire.

The Viking Reds are Swedish Red and White, Red Dane and the Finnish Ayrshire. They are found in several Ayrshire pedigrees in Canada and the US. Where ever you heard that they were a kicking strain of Ayrshire didn't know what they were talking about!
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed May 11, 2016 11:34 pm

Petercoates87 wrote:Yeah that's what I was thinking. I got 2 other beef cows. N I'd probably breed her with a beef bull. But I couldn't find a whole lot bout them online. Do they make more or bout the same amount of milk as the jersey?

I would sell her to a dairy farm and use the money to buy a real beef heifer.
Otherwise if you insist on keeping replacement females from her try to select a very low milk beef sire.
Hereford would put a white face on them and would at least look like beef cattle at 1st glance.
0 x

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Thu May 12, 2016 10:14 am

If the parents are good the crossbred should be a good dairy cow. Likely have more milk than the Jersey owing to she's bigger and has the benefit of hybrid vigour.
If you don't know the full parentage it's not likely a dairy would buy her - they've mostly got enough heifers of their own and they know exactly where they came from.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

Petercoates87
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Petercoates87 » Fri May 20, 2016 7:18 pm

I wasn't planning on selling her I want to keep her to use for milk n cream like her momma. I have only told a few people bout having milk n cream n now I got people calling n texting me about it. My god its like Crack. But I'm just wondering how she might preform when it came to milk amounts. I like her cause she is small 40-50 bw. I have another beef cow thats 1/8 holstein. Honestly only for its so hard to find a beef cow here in newfoundland I'd get rid of her. She eats more than my other 2 beef cattle n don't got a great udder. But my plan is just to breed them all beef. Even the jersey for now. I don't got the barn space or the hay ground for anymore than 4 cows n calves.
0 x

gaurus
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby gaurus » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:20 pm

In Australia they made a study comparing the Jersey x Holstein cross against the Australian Friesian Sahiwal in very harsh environment, the cross outperformed pure Holsteins and Australian Friesian Sahiwal on Milk Yield, pregnancy rate and age of calving.
0 x

Return to “Got Milk?”