Ave. Age/wt. of slaghter steers

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
brandonm_13
Rancher
Rancher

Ave. Age/wt. of slaghter steers

Post by brandonm_13 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:49 am

What is the average age and weight for slaughter steers in the U.S.?

"If it's not red, it's crossbred."

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Re: Ave. Age/wt. of slaghter steers

Post by bigbull338 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:19 am

well you wean steers at 6 to 8 months old.an they weigh 500 to 650 then.an you want them to weigh 1200 at butchering.by the time they was 12 to 16 months old.they would be ready to butcher.alot depends on how much feed an hay you give them.if i was feeding 1 out.id give him up to 25lbs of feed a day along with all the hay he can eat.

mnmtranching
GURU
GURU

Post by mnmtranching » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:34 pm

From what I see it's about 15 months.
Its the cost of production and the value of your marketable product, or if you having fun. That's it, everything else is BS.

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Post by Aaron » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:50 pm

Youngest would be about 14 months and oldest about 18 months. A lot depends on what your feeding, how heavy and what breed of cattle your feeding it to. Herefords will get soggy on 20 lbs of grain ration, whereas Limo's need 30 lbs just to maintain. I have finished Hereford steers at 1080 lbs to 1300 lbs and seen Simmentals not be properly finished until they hit 1700 to 1800 lbs and soggy Galloway steers that were finished at 950 lbs. :cowboy:
cor durum laborem

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Post by Red Bull Breeder » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:19 am

Limis need more to maintain than Herford?? A Limi will wear a herford out converting feed. Limis are some of the best at turning a pound of feed into a pound of red meat. Limi may not gain as much weight a day as a herford but it will gain its weight on less feed per pound.

Jovid
GURU
GURU

Post by Jovid » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:46 am

what? wrote:NOV 07 THRU NOV 08 AVERAGE DRESSED WEIGHT OF 837 LIVE AVERAGE WEIGHT OF 1302.

Where did you get your info? I have a hard time believing that the dressed percentage average was 64% of the live weight. My Red Polls average about 66% and that is the exception not the norm. I think the average would be more like 60%

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Post by dun » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:20 am

For ours that we've gotten data back from the feeders on, the weight runs around 1250 - 1400 and the age 13 1/2 - 16 months. That's steers abd heifers combined from half a dozen different feeders over the past 5 years.
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Alberta farmer
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Alberta farmer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:37 am

The average carcass for slaughter cattle in the USA last week was 784 lbs. A 60 % dressing weight would indicate a live steer slightly over 1300 lbs.
In Canada the avg. carcass was 834 lb. or 1390 live. Alberta Ag site. livestock report.

Angus Cowman
GURU
GURU

Post by Angus Cowman » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:30 pm

delivered 3 to the butcher today their weights were 1306,1412 and 1492 the 1306 weight was a hfr
If they had to actually work with a Spade and Hoe versus electing them we would all be better off (Caustic Burno 2011)

grannysoo
GURU
GURU

Post by grannysoo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:56 pm

what? wrote:JOHN I'VE DONE A BIT OF CHECKING THRU PRIOR POSTS IT SEEMS EVERYTIME SOMEONE PROVIDES DIFFERENT FIGURES THAN YOU BELIEVE TO BE CORRECT YOU ALWAYS NEED TO KNOW WHERE THE POSTER HAS GOT HER OR HIS INFO OR DATA. IS THIS BECAUSE YOU BELIEVE YOU COULD NEVER BE WRONG OR IS IT BECAUSE YOU TRUELY WANT TO LEARN?

Cap key stuck?

Here we go again.................
When blacks have identity it is called pride.
When indians have identity it is called culture.
When jews have identity it is called history.
When whites have identity it is called racism.

Jovid
GURU
GURU

Post by Jovid » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:36 pm

what? wrote:
grannysoo wrote:
what? wrote:JOHN I'VE DONE A BIT OF CHECKING THRU PRIOR POSTS IT SEEMS EVERYTIME SOMEONE PROVIDES DIFFERENT FIGURES THAN YOU BELIEVE TO BE CORRECT YOU ALWAYS NEED TO KNOW WHERE THE POSTER HAS GOT HER OR HIS INFO OR DATA. IS THIS BECAUSE YOU BELIEVE YOU COULD NEVER BE WRONG OR IS IT BECAUSE YOU TRUELY WANT TO LEARN?

Cap key stuck?

NOPE I CAN READ WHAT I TYPE BETTER THIS WAY WISH ALL OF YOU DID IT.
I WAS CURIOUS IF HE JUST WANTED TO ARGUE OR IF HE REALLY DIDN'T KNOW.

Not wanting to argue just asked where you got your data......you are the one that made a big deal out of a question. Sometimes I like to read the whole article of what some people post on here. No big deal. I won't ask again.

HOSS
GURU
GURU

Post by HOSS » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:36 pm

what? wrote:
grannysoo wrote:

Cap key stuck?

NOPE I CAN READ WHAT I TYPE BETTER THIS WAY WISH ALL OF YOU DID IT.
I WAS CURIOUS IF HE JUST WANTED TO ARGUE OR IF HE REALLY DIDN'T KNOW.

what?, in the world of internet message boards typing in all caps is considered yelling. When folks read the all caps it comes across as brash and loud. You might know this already but in case you didn't I thought I would post it here.

JMichal
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by JMichal » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:38 pm

You ever think he may be hard of hearing and can't see. It's called ageing. :lol: :lol: