Wood Feed Trough

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
gerardplauche
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Wood Feed Trough

Post by gerardplauche » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:12 pm

Are there major disadvantages to wooden feed troughs?

If it ain't broke, it ain't mine

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Re: Wood Feed Trough

Post by bigbull338 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:25 pm

i see no advantages using wood feedtroughs.the wood troughs dont last long at all.their life is prolly 3yrs or so.an they cost the fire out of you.i use the poly feed troughs an have for years.they cost me about $120 ea for a 11ft trough.an they last for like 10yrs fore the legs rust off.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:49 pm

I don't run any bulls with my cows but when I did it seemed like the bulls would tear up just about anything made from wood. Whether just rubbing, scratching, playing or "fencing" with an imaginary bull, if you could build it, they could tear it up.
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Post by cfpinz » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:04 pm

Best troughs I've ever had were homemade. Buy three 55 gal plastic drums, cut them in half longways, then bolt two halves end-to-end and a third half to the end of one of those in a "T" shape. Repeat. Two troughs for the cost of 3 drums and a handful of 3/8" bolts.

Troughs are pretty much indestructible and lightweight. Best part is if an animal falls into them, they mash the trough flat and can get up. I've seen animals stuck on their backs in conventional bunks.

cfpinz
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

gerardplauche
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by gerardplauche » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:12 am

I love the idea of the plastic drums. I will definitely try that. Thanks

novatech
GURU
GURU

Post by novatech » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:10 pm

cfpinz wrote:Best troughs I've ever had were homemade. Buy three 55 gal plastic drums, cut them in half longways, then bolt two halves end-to-end and a third half to the end of one of those in a "T" shape. Repeat. Two troughs for the cost of 3 drums and a handful of 3/8" bolts.

Troughs are pretty much indestructible and lightweight. Best part is if an animal falls into them, they mash the trough flat and can get up. I've seen animals stuck on their backs in conventional bunks.

cfpinz

Here we go again. I think I have an original idea and find somebodies already done it. :cry2:
You are right I have had some up for the last 3 years and they look the same as when I put them up. I use them for mineral, feed and cut them the other way to make small water trough.
All truth passes through three stages:
First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
--Mahatma Gandhi

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:48 am

What kind of wood are yall using ? I have one on skids that is over ten years old. Tree top fell on it in Rita and I had to reroof it . Cows are feeding minerals out of it 365.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

CKC1586
GURU
GURU

Post by CKC1586 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:14 am

Caustic Burno wrote:What kind of wood are yall using ? I have one on skids that is over ten years old. Tree top fell on it in Rita and I had to reroof it . Cows are feeding minerals out of it 365.

My Dad built one like that for my brother back in the 80's for a mineral feeder and it is still going strong. Wish he was still around to help me design something to feed small square bales in.
Common sense is not common....

gerardplauche
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by gerardplauche » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:16 am

This is why I like asking all of these "dumb" questions. Everyone has so many little tricks that are great ideas to be shared...

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Post by dun » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:22 am

My only concern with wodden feeders is the types of fasteners that are used. A lot of folks just use nails or screws, that's just a short slide to animals injesting small metal objects. Through bolts although more work up front saves on repairs and possible hardware problems in the long run.
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Texas PaPaw
GURU
GURU

Post by Texas PaPaw » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:34 pm

I build troughs by placing 3 half barells end to end (9' long) and using deck screws and fender washers to attach them to 2 8' landscape timbers. The timbers are laid out parrallel to each other about 6 inches apart and the end barrels will over hang the end of the timbers about 6 inches on each end. If you like you can make a tow loop by attaching a 2 ft piece of nylon rope by using fence steeples to nail 1 end of the rope to 1 timber and the other end to the other timber.
These troughs are very durable, easy to move and inexpensive.
Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Brock's Law "If you do enough stumblin', you'll stumble on to something"

skyline
GURU
GURU

Post by skyline » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:30 pm

Texas PaPaw wrote:I build troughs by placing 3 half barells end to end (9' long) and using deck screws and fender washers to attach them to 2 8' landscape timbers. The timbers are laid out parrallel to each other about 6 inches apart and the end barrels will over hang the end of the timbers about 6 inches on each end. If you like you can make a tow loop by attaching a 2 ft piece of nylon rope by using fence steeples to nail 1 end of the rope to 1 timber and the other end to the other timber.
These troughs are very durable, easy to move and inexpensive.

Thanks for that tip. That one, plus the other barrell trough ideas were worth more than the price of admission tonight.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas A. Edison

KenB
Rancher
Rancher

Post by KenB » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:39 pm

I use the half drums as well, but I just use them by there self. When they get water in them it is easy to dump it out.
They push them around, but that doesn't hurt them, and it is easy for me to move them as well.

iowafarmer
Rancher
Rancher

Post by iowafarmer » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:39 pm

All we use is wood feed troughs. We us ones mad out of 2" thick creasote treated wood with 4x4" legs that are really braced up. We don't like the poly ones becasue they are low to the ground and when a calf or cow steps in them they have a tendancy to go right on through. They are nice and light though andcanbe moved by one person. Just my thoughts.
If its not broke, don't fix it.

anthony brown
Beginner
Beginner

Post by anthony brown » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:28 pm

I was reading about the wooden feed troughs and I wanted to tell you about the troughs I build. My step-father started building these troughs about 27 years ago and I have seen some of them that are over 15 years old and still standing. The material we use has changed some. I use ground rated treated lumber for the skids, sides and ends. The floor is made of (micro-lam) wood 1 1/4inch thick. The roof is metal, the color usually doesn't match because of it being bought at sale price. I think my troughs will still last 10 years. That would be a cost of only 28 dollars a year.