Crusty
Crusty

Re: Cotton seed

Post by Caustic Burno » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:15 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:49 pm
Caustic Burno wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:40 pm
Neighbor uses FEL to dump in gravity feeder. He fills FEL out of super sacks.
I designed my feeder so I could load it with FEL or super sack.
What keeps it from “bridging”?
About a 6 inch gap at the bottom of the Vee. You can hear the cows butt the sides in the house a 100 yards away to make it flow. I have had to bust a bridge a few times due to high humidity for days. Cows let me know right quick they weren’t happy.

Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:36 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:22 pm
Caustic Burno wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:48 pm
JMJ Farms wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:31 pm
I feed 8lbs per head per day to my cows during the winter (4-5 months). Been doing it for years with no ill effects. But they also have all the good hay they can eat.

I haul it in peanut wagons. Then dip it into used plastic mineral tubs with a grain shovel. Holds about 80 lbs. load it in the truck and Haul it to the trough and pour it in. The labor pretty much sucks but it’s dang good feed and it’s affordable. I’m gonna improve my system one day when funds allow.
Can you get it in super sacks?
No. Not here. Has to be bulk. I have a dump trailer but it’s only 12’ and I can’t haul enough to make it feasible. I think next year I’m gonna pour a slab under roof and buy it by the semi load. I will feed 2 loads per year and that would save time, may be able to get a discount on price, and I’d be able to scoop it up with my FEL. Just have to work on some different troughs. Not sure I can “ring” what I have with the FEL. I’d really love to have a mixer wagon. But that’ll have to wait.
I use it when I don't have good oat pasture
I haul it in my 16 ' dump. I can get close to 4 ton .packed down real good. And the gin is close enough. I store it on a slab under roof. Used to use the molasses tubs to haul to troughs , now I use a skidsteer bucket and just shake out in piles on the ground. They clean it up good enough. I can't imagine it flowing through a gravity feeder, haven't tried it though. I did. Put some up mixed with two parts wsc a few years ago in a homemade bin in the loft of my barn. Has a 6" pipe for a chute. Spent the winter running a stick up it every day.
It ain't bragging if you can do it.
Red Bull Breeder.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:35 am

I buy WSC by the ton. Have a bin up in my hayloft, so it is blown in. I thought about having it mixed, but was afraid it wouldn't "blow" or "flow". Don't need to worry about it anymore. Can't get it.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:47 pm

callmefence wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:36 pm
I use it when I don't have good oat pasture
I haul it in my 16 ' dump. I can get close to 4 ton .packed down real good. And the gin is close enough. I store it on a slab under roof. Used to use the molasses tubs to haul to troughs , now I use a skidsteer bucket and just shake out in piles on the ground. They clean it up good enough. I can't imagine it flowing through a gravity feeder, haven't tried it though. I did. Put some up mixed with two parts wsc a few years ago in a homemade bin in the loft of my barn. Has a 6" pipe for a chute. Spent the winter running a stick up it every day.
Yeah those mineral tubs get old. Keeps your arms strong but tough on the back. I can’t see it flowing through my gravity feeder but maybe I’ll try it.
Had a friend that tried it and he had to dig it out. But he hauled feeder to gin. Filled it up. And pulled it home. The ride home bouncing had to make it settle. If you could fill it up in the field it may work better.
Feeding on the ground or in old tractor tires is probably the best bang for your buck. Mineral tubs and troughs are labor intensive and takes time and we all know time is money.
And I too much prefer oats or rye grazing but I don’t have enough acres to have enough so my grazing is always limited.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

u4411clb
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by u4411clb » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:56 pm

southernultrablack wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:31 am
u4411clb wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:51 am
1/3 trash + 1/3 wcs + 1/3 cracked corn here
Where do you get your gin trash?
Madison County Co-op gin. I get wcs and trash there. Located in New Market Al and they grind the trash so much more palatable.

Cracked corn is from Ogle feed.

u4411clb
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by u4411clb » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:56 pm

southernultrablack wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:31 am
u4411clb wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:51 am
1/3 trash + 1/3 wcs + 1/3 cracked corn here
Where do you get your gin trash?
Madison County Co-op gin. I get wcs and trash there. Located in New Market Al and they grind the trash so much more palatable.

Cracked corn is from Ogle feed.