Backgrounding & feeding questions.
sstterry
GURU
GURU

Re: One Extreme to another

Post by sstterry » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:52 am

Silver wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:59 pm
I took this pic the other day as I was helping out. It occurred to me that when an operation gets to be this size it becomes very industrial. Not saying that's good or bad, but for a small time guy like me it's a whole different scale and a whole other world.

Can you tell us what we are looking at? I assume the piles on the left are silage and I see the hay. But, is the pile on the right corn?

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:52 am

sstterry wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:52 am
Can you tell us what we are looking at? I assume the piles on the left are silage and I see the hay. But, is the pile on the right corn?
Yes, silage in piles, hay stacked, barley piled. The little red light you can see just behind the cab is the readout for the scale. There appears to be a weight based recipe for every group of cattle.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:15 am

Silver wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:52 am
sstterry wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:52 am
Yes, silage in piles, hay stacked, barley piled. The little red light you can see just behind the cab is the readout for the scale. There appears to be a weight based recipe for every group of cattle.
I have grass hay, alfalfa, corn silage, and corn to choose from. There are several recipes depending on which group is getting fed. The scale read out faces the loader while loading and them is turned to face the tractor. I have to feed several pens with the same load so I have to watch the scale to see that I am feeding the right amount. That is a hardest part of the job. That screen is clear around behind me. Not being as limber as I once was.....

Stocker Steve
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Stocker Steve » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:38 pm

Ag econ boys usually calculate a breakeven herd size for the equipment investment. I have several pitchforks so you know I am a BTO. Bought one for each of the kids too. I try to pick up used pitchforks at auctions, but here the Amish often run the price up. :(
Stocker Steve

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:31 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:38 pm
Ag econ boys usually calculate a breakeven herd size for the equipment investment. I have several pitchforks so you know I am a BTO. Bought one for each of the kids too. I try to pick up used pitchforks at auctions, but here the Amish often run the price up. :(
I have a new handle for my pitchfork. But I want to get every possible minute of use before I replace the half broken one on it now. You got to be frugal if you are going to make money ranching.

bball
GURU
GURU

Post by bball » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:18 pm

Dave wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:31 pm
Stocker Steve wrote:
I have a new handle for my pitchfork. But I want to get every possible minute of use before I replace the half broken one on it now. You got to be frugal if you are going to make money ranching.
Or you could just get a new handle from the govt Dave! :D ;-)

Just kidding. Having a little fun after a few of the threads we had here. Enjoyed the pics you shared!
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop
Exercising compassion provides the most linear and fulfilling state of happiness.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:40 pm

bball wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:18 pm
Dave wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:

Just kidding. Having a little fun after a few of the threads we had here. Enjoyed the pics you shared!
Hey, I will look into it. Maybe they have a program to fix broken equipment. Or maybe it is a stimulus program for the manufacturers of pitchfork handles.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:22 am

Dave wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:40 pm
bball wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:18 pm
Dave wrote:

Hey, I will look into it. Maybe they have a program to fix broken equipment. Or maybe it is a stimulus program for the manufacturers of pitchfork handles.
Always a good feeling when you can step up and help a neighbor. We had one of those vertical mixers when we owned the dairy. One of the few pieces of equipment that will actually pay for itself in increased production and reduction of waste.
“Tell me what you brag about and I'll tell you what you lack”

Spanish Proverb

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Ky cowboy » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:44 am

Dave wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:

I've got duct tape holding mine together

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:57 am

Ky cowboy wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:44 am
Dave wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:

I've got duct tape holding mine together
Not using duct tape. Got to save money where ever you can.