Meat Quality

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
User avatar
Ky hills
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1983
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:54 pm
Location: Clark County, KY
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 163 times

Meat Quality

Post by Ky hills » Sun May 19, 2019 3:12 pm

Posted a picture of some steaks last night on the recipes and cooking section. It got me to thinking that probably not many cow calf producers my self included know how our calves do as far as feeding out and end product quality.
These are T bone steaks from a purebred Hereford steer. He was around 14 months old when processed. We paid the processor for around 750 lbs, I don’t know what the live weight was but would guess it to have been around 1200 to 1300. He was a full sibling to the heifer calf with the white stripe down her shoulder that I posted a few weeks ago.
Image



User avatar
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1644
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm
Has thanked: 404 times
Been thanked: 280 times

Re: Meat Quality

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sun May 19, 2019 3:59 pm

Ky hills wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:12 pm
Posted a picture of some steaks last night on the recipes and cooking section. It got me to thinking that probably not many cow calf producers my self included know how our calves do as far as feeding out and end product quality.
These are T bone steaks from a purebred Hereford steer. He was around 14 months old when processed. We paid the processor for around 750 lbs, I don’t know what the live weight was but would guess it to have been around 1200 to 1300. He was a full sibling to the heifer calf with the white stripe down her shoulder that I posted a few weeks ago.
Image
How did they taste?

Based on what you said above, I would take your steaks over anything found at the local grocery or Kroger's in a heartbeat.
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally." Oscar Wilde

User avatar
Ky hills
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1983
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:54 pm
Location: Clark County, KY
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 163 times

Re: Meat Quality

Post by Ky hills » Sun May 19, 2019 4:18 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:59 pm
Ky hills wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:12 pm
Posted a picture of some steaks last night on the recipes and cooking section. It got me to thinking that probably not many cow calf producers my self included know how our calves do as far as feeding out and end product quality.
These are T bone steaks from a purebred Hereford steer. He was around 14 months old when processed. We paid the processor for around 750 lbs, I don’t know what the live weight was but would guess it to have been around 1200 to 1300. He was a full sibling to the heifer calf with the white stripe down her shoulder that I posted a few weeks ago.
Image
How did they taste?

Based on what you said above, I would take your steaks over anything found at the local grocery or Kroger's in a heartbeat.
Thank you, Brookhill. They have been very good. We have enjoyed having our own beef. This is the second one we have done the first was an Angus which we thought was really good too.

User avatar
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1644
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm
Has thanked: 404 times
Been thanked: 280 times

Re: Meat Quality

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sun May 19, 2019 4:58 pm

Ky hills wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 4:18 pm
Brookhill Angus wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:59 pm
Ky hills wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:12 pm
Posted a picture of some steaks last night on the recipes and cooking section. It got me to thinking that probably not many cow calf producers my self included know how our calves do as far as feeding out and end product quality.
These are T bone steaks from a purebred Hereford steer. He was around 14 months old when processed. We paid the processor for around 750 lbs, I don’t know what the live weight was but would guess it to have been around 1200 to 1300. He was a full sibling to the heifer calf with the white stripe down her shoulder that I posted a few weeks ago.
Image
How did they taste?

Based on what you said above, I would take your steaks over anything found at the local grocery or Kroger's in a heartbeat.
Thank you, Brookhill. They have been very good. We have enjoyed having our own beef. This is the second one we have done the first was an Angus which we thought was really good too.
The way it should be.

I'm no fan of mass production, although I know it's inevitable. Don't even get me started on my thoughts on JBS. I had better keep my mouth shut, LOL! Hard thing to do for me.

You have a very good product, keep up the great work. I had a Hereford standing rib roast a couple of years ago at Christmas, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Best thing I have ever tasted!
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally." Oscar Wilde

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13011
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
Has thanked: 408 times
Been thanked: 375 times

Re: Meat Quality

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sun May 19, 2019 5:42 pm

Looks very fatty. Could be my phone.
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

User avatar
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1644
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm
Has thanked: 404 times
Been thanked: 280 times

Re: Meat Quality

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sun May 19, 2019 5:57 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:42 pm
Looks very fatty. Could be my phone.
I may be wrong, but I bet that the meat tastes very good.

One thing is for sure, Hill's steaks probably don't resemble shoe leather like some steaks I see in the grocery.
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally." Oscar Wilde

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1622
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Piedmont of SC
Has thanked: 131 times
Been thanked: 268 times

Re: Meat Quality

Post by Ebenezer » Sun May 19, 2019 6:32 pm

We used to sell steers and heifers to an operation that did grassfed meats and processing. We sold them as weaned plus and they grew them out. The odd complaint was that they found the cuts, such as ribeye to be too big. Yields and quality were good. I never chased it beyond that.

User avatar
Ky hills
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1983
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:54 pm
Location: Clark County, KY
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 163 times

Re: Meat Quality

Post by Ky hills » Sun May 19, 2019 7:02 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:42 pm
Looks very fatty. Could be my phone.
It does have quite a bit of fat on the outside, but has good marbling. The live calf did not appear to be too fat, I was actually concerned that he wasn't fat enough. I don't know what is customary if some processors trim fat off and some don't. Our first beef was done at a different processor and did not have as much fat.

User avatar
Ky hills
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1983
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:54 pm
Location: Clark County, KY
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 163 times

Re: Meat Quality

Post by Ky hills » Sun May 19, 2019 7:26 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:57 pm
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:42 pm
Looks very fatty. Could be my phone.
I may be wrong, but I bet that the meat tastes very good.

One thing is for sure, Hill's steaks probably don't resemble shoe leather like some steaks I see in the grocery.
We have been very satisfied with both our Angus and Hereford beef, it does seem better to us than store bought. The other cuts haven't disappointed either, my wife can fix literally fork tender roasts from these. The ground beef has a much softer texture as well, in comparison to store bought.
My wife said she was sad when we ran out our first beef a few weeks before getting the other one.

User avatar
snoopdog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1157
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma
Has thanked: 251 times
Been thanked: 107 times

Re: Meat Quality

Post by snoopdog » Sun May 19, 2019 7:34 pm

Those steaks look great, and right on, on the live weight, got my mouth waterin, may have to butcher one this year.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14476
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 434 times
Been thanked: 336 times

Re: Meat Quality

Post by Nesikep » Sun May 19, 2019 8:17 pm

I like our beef.. can't compare to the store bought.. the ground beef actually fries instead of boiling in the frying pan.. I butcher a little later, grassfed only.

This was tasty
Image
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4095
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Yantis, Texas
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Meat Quality

Post by hurleyjd » Mon May 20, 2019 10:16 am

We have not killed anything for beef in a long time. Just me and the wife. In the past we would kill a beef that was still sucking around 500 to 600 lbs. This size made pretty good beef for us lean and tender and the right size for us.

User avatar
dieselbeef
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5722
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:55 am
Location: myakka city fl
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Meat Quality

Post by dieselbeef » Mon May 20, 2019 11:21 am

1300 lbs in 14 months...dang..take me 2 yrs to get that here
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein


sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 18450
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 342 times

Re: Meat Quality

Post by greybeard » Mon May 20, 2019 3:30 pm

Ky hills wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:12 pm
Posted a picture of some steaks last night on the recipes and cooking section. It got me to thinking that probably not many cow calf producers my self included know how our calves do as far as feeding out and end product quality.
These are T bone steaks from a purebred Hereford steer. He was around 14 months old when processed. We paid the processor for around 750 lbs, I don’t know what the live weight was but would guess it to have been around 1200 to 1300. He was a full sibling to the heifer calf with the white stripe down her shoulder that I posted a few weeks ago.
Image
It does have more fat (not referring to the marbling) than grocery store 'choice' steaks, but yours is exactly how I like my steaks. That fat melts during cooking for the most part and gives it taste and texture that marbling alone can't do.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

User avatar
mwj
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:36 am
Location: central Ill.
Has thanked: 233 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Meat Quality

Post by mwj » Mon May 20, 2019 4:28 pm

The first bite of a steak,for me, is the fat. That will tell the whole story on the flavor and if it was properly finished. :cowboy: :nod:
never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!!!!!!

Post Reply