For the light weight calf buyers

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
Post Reply
DCA farm
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:45 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 14 times

For the light weight calf buyers

Post by DCA farm » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:33 am

What kind of feed ration are y’all putting your light weight calves on I see people buying the 150-200 pound calves. I’d like see y’all pencil it must be super sharp



User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5837
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 165 times

Re: For the light weight calf buyers

Post by Son of Butch » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:18 am

Nearly all calves sold under 200 lbs are dairy or dairy crossed calves. Properly managed they
can be very feed efficient. They would go on a textured calf starter for 1-2 weeks.
Then if a guy was running a decent number of them, they would use their own corn to make their
own complete calf feed containing both concentrate and roughage to control the forage intake.

When they reach 350-375 lbs then on to a grower ration containing either higher levels of
forage or they might continue on a high concentrate program depending on their end goal and
available home grown feedstuffs. Like hogs, it's a volume based program.
In effect they are adding value to their corn by selling it through the calves/steers.

DCA farm
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:45 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: For the light weight calf buyers

Post by DCA farm » Tue May 07, 2019 8:35 am

Son of Butch wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:18 am
Nearly all calves sold under 200 lbs are dairy or dairy crossed calves. Properly managed they
can be very feed efficient. They would go on a textured calf starter for 1-2 weeks.
Then if a guy was running a decent number of them, they would use their own corn to make their
own complete calf feed containing both concentrate and roughage to control the forage intake.

When they reach 350-375 lbs then on to a grower ration containing either higher levels of
forage or they might continue on a high concentrate program depending on their end goal and
available home grown feedstuffs. Like hogs, it's a volume based program.
In effect they are adding value to their corn by selling it through the calves/steers.
I watched a man buy every calf he could yesterday they called them 45-50 day olds he just kept saying he’s buying money makers he probably bought 20 calves they were all just around 100-120 pounds

Petercoates87
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:30 pm

Re: For the light weight calf buyers

Post by Petercoates87 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:12 am

I own a Jersey & Jersey cross cow. I breed them beef but then buy a dairy bull calf when the cows calf. so it's like they got twins every year wean the twins off at 5 months old and then buy another calf to finish off her lacation. So that calf is 4 months when weaned and it works so far. The calf grows pretty good, no beef calf but theres a market for it. then uses the brewers grain and cracked corn to feed it. I have a September dairy bull now that's pushing 550 lbs

Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:37 pm
Location: NW OK
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: For the light weight calf buyers

Post by Allenw » Mon May 13, 2019 4:24 pm

DCA farm wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:35 am
Son of Butch wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:18 am
Nearly all calves sold under 200 lbs are dairy or dairy crossed calves. Properly managed they
can be very feed efficient. They would go on a textured calf starter for 1-2 weeks.
Then if a guy was running a decent number of them, they would use their own corn to make their
own complete calf feed containing both concentrate and roughage to control the forage intake.

When they reach 350-375 lbs then on to a grower ration containing either higher levels of
forage or they might continue on a high concentrate program depending on their end goal and
available home grown feedstuffs. Like hogs, it's a volume based program.
In effect they are adding value to their corn by selling it through the calves/steers.
I watched a man buy every calf he could yesterday they called them 45-50 day olds he just kept saying he’s buying money makers he probably bought 20 calves they were all just around 100-120 pounds
180 was about as light as I was satisfied with performance when starting them, a little heavier was better. The lighter calves just don't take off as fast.

DCA farm
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:45 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: For the light weight calf buyers

Post by DCA farm » Mon May 13, 2019 6:56 pm

Allenw wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:24 pm
DCA farm wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:35 am
Son of Butch wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:18 am
Nearly all calves sold under 200 lbs are dairy or dairy crossed calves. Properly managed they
can be very feed efficient. They would go on a textured calf starter for 1-2 weeks.
Then if a guy was running a decent number of them, they would use their own corn to make their
own complete calf feed containing both concentrate and roughage to control the forage intake.

When they reach 350-375 lbs then on to a grower ration containing either higher levels of
forage or they might continue on a high concentrate program depending on their end goal and
available home grown feedstuffs. Like hogs, it's a volume based program.
In effect they are adding value to their corn by selling it through the calves/steers.
I watched a man buy every calf he could yesterday they called them 45-50 day olds he just kept saying he’s buying money makers he probably bought 20 calves they were all just around 100-120 pounds
180 was about as light as I was satisfied with performance when starting them, a little heavier was better. The lighter calves just don't take off as fast.
What kind of feed do you put yours on

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8698
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: For the light weight calf buyers

Post by kenny thomas » Mon May 13, 2019 8:48 pm

Allenw wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:24 pm
DCA farm wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:35 am
Son of Butch wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:18 am
Nearly all calves sold under 200 lbs are dairy or dairy crossed calves. Properly managed they
can be very feed efficient. They would go on a textured calf starter for 1-2 weeks.
Then if a guy was running a decent number of them, they would use their own corn to make their
own complete calf feed containing both concentrate and roughage to control the forage intake.

When they reach 350-375 lbs then on to a grower ration containing either higher levels of
forage or they might continue on a high concentrate program depending on their end goal and
available home grown feedstuffs. Like hogs, it's a volume based program.
In effect they are adding value to their corn by selling it through the calves/steers.
I watched a man buy every calf he could yesterday they called them 45-50 day olds he just kept saying he’s buying money makers he probably bought 20 calves they were all just around 100-120 pounds
180 was about as light as I was satisfied with performance when starting them, a little heavier was better. The lighter calves just don't take off as fast.
To me it seems more related to age than weight but I still try not to buy less than 275lb. But even then I buy the rough calves not the good young ones. The rough ones seem to respond to good care better.
I use a 16% feed with no gluten and added wet molasses to make it sweet to them. They start licking then eating because it taste good.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:37 pm
Location: NW OK
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: For the light weight calf buyers

Post by Allenw » Mon May 13, 2019 10:54 pm

DCA farm wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:56 pm
Allenw wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:24 pm
DCA farm wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:35 am

I watched a man buy every calf he could yesterday they called them 45-50 day olds he just kept saying he’s buying money makers he probably bought 20 calves they were all just around 100-120 pounds
180 was about as light as I was satisfied with performance when starting them, a little heavier was better. The lighter calves just don't take off as fast.
What kind of feed do you put yours on
I was hand feeding some good crabgrass hay with protein pellets, about 3/4 lb per head per day and rolled corn.
Add corn until you get where you want to be, protein pellets plus corn equal to 1% to 1.5% of body weight. I play it by ear too much to get too precise, goal is to keep them gaining and building frame until they can be turned out . If you can pick up a bottle calf or two that is about the same size really helps to get them started eating and drinking.


Kenny
I agree age plays a role in their growth rate, calves I was buying come off older cows that were split when sold. I think getting too far below the 200 lb mark they're younger and aren't used to grazing as much and would need to be fed a different ration, then what I was feeding to do well, an early wean TMR mix would work.

Post Reply