Starting a small backgrounding/feedyard

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
scvfd_7241
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Starting a small backgrounding/feedyard

Post by scvfd_7241 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:32 pm

The feed that was recommended by the nutritionist is what I have been using to figure everything. I figured it at$300/ton which is .15/lb.. I also figured $15.00 a head for worker, and vaccines. I have tried to figure everything I buy a little on the high side and the selling price a little on the low side. But when I done this buying 400lb calves and keeping them 60 days a d selling at a weight of roughly 520lb shows to be profitable, as well as buying 600lb calves and keeping them 60 or 90 days, too weights of roughly 720lbs or 775lbs. The heaviest calves show to the highest profit at 90 days. Can anyone shed light on this. Also just to check my figures how much grain would you expect the 700 weight calves to consume daily from a self feeder.

Stocker Steve
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Stocker Steve » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:49 am

Feeders want heavy calves right now, so they pay a premium.
Stocker Steve

polledbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by polledbull » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:23 am

I know a guy that they feed loose soy hulls and hay , and nothing else , free choice in feeders , they buy cheaper kinda calves , and odd colored calves , cut them and vaccinate them , run them all the way through to slaughter, they send them to feed around 750 lbs , they will not buy top quality calves, he will average .80 cent in thier bulls , they have a higher mortality and treat more , but they can , hulls were as low as $50 a ton for a while ,it is not your typical stocker model but it works for him , and he has made alot of money doing it

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:13 am

I don't think you are listening to all the comments. You will be buying unweaned calves. That alone is going to make for some sick calves - top that with castration, and you are going to be treating calves and calves may die.
You will NOT be looking at gain for first 2 weeks, maybe 4 weeks if sickness breaks out.
Glad you are optimistic, that is great - but you also need to be realistic. Calves get sick. Medicine that WORKS is VERY costly.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."