Replacement Heifer Gain Target ?

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: Replacement Heifer Gain Target ?

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:02 pm

ddd - are you saying they are 12-14 months old when they CALVE or when they get BRED?
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:16 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:ddd - are you saying they are 12-14 months old when they CALVE or when they get BRED?

i had one calve this year at 14 months. Most of mine calve around 18 months old.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:29 pm

I'm not willing to push them that hard. Mine calve between 21 - 24 months old.
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:38 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I'm not willing to push them that hard. Mine calve between 21 - 24 months old.

Same. Calve between 22 and 24 months. Grow them on 4# of corn gluten pellet, soy hull pellets, whole corn mix per head per day. Quality hay and mineral.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:16 pm

ddd75 wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:ddd - are you saying they are 12-14 months old when they CALVE or when they get BRED?

i had one calve this year at 14 months. Most of mine calve around 18 months old.

Do you calve year round then or how about do you get a defined calving season calving that early?

Penn State did a research project when I was in college we read about. They got Holstein heifers big enough and sexually mature to calve at 18 months. The milk lost in that lactation was unreal compared to the ones that calved on average at 24 months. It was around 8-9,000#. They other issue was some of their udders were not developed enough to even make any milk at all.
1 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:19 am

Till-Hill wrote:
ddd75 wrote:

Do you calve year round then or how about do you get a defined calving season calving that early?

Penn State did a research project when I was in college we read about. They got Holstein heifers big enough and sexually mature to calve at 18 months. The milk lost in that lactation was unreal compared to the ones that calved on average at 24 months. It was around 8-9,000#. They other issue was some of their udders were not developed enough to even make any milk at all.

almost all my calves are born in spring, so they usually all grow and breed back at the same time. When a bull breeds them they are ready IMO.

They have plenty of milk and all the calves grow great, I top the market or near it everytime I take in any.

I raised a lot of sheep and their is a big debate on the same thing.. Research has shown and proven that earlier lambing gives more longevity and production per animal. It also helps their body develop more properly to have offspring. From what I've done I'd say the same holds true for cattle.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:09 pm

"almost all my calves are born in spring, so they usually all grow and breed back at the same time. When a bull breeds them they are ready IMO."
Please clarify. If you calve in the spring (March, April, June??)
Any heifer calves born in June (youngest) would be 22 months old if they calved in March.
I'm not understanding where the "most calve around 18 months old"?? That would mean "most" calve in the fall if born in the spring.
When a bull breeds a 5 month old heifer (5 + 9 = 14 months old) - I consider that rape - and I would lutalyse her to abort the calf. You must have miracle cattle to survive that management IMHO Glad it works for you.
2 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:42 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:"almost all my calves are born in spring, so they usually all grow and breed back at the same time. When a bull breeds them they are ready IMO."
Please clarify. If you calve in the spring (March, April, June??)
Any heifer calves born in June (youngest) would be 22 months old if they calved in March.
I'm not understanding where the "most calve around 18 months old"?? That would mean "most" calve in the fall if born in the spring.
When a bull breeds a 5 month old heifer (5 + 9 = 14 months old) - I consider that rape - and I would lutalyse her to abort the calf. You must have miracle cattle to survive that management IMHO Glad it works for you.

most of my heifers last year calved early feb.

I DO NOT support rape. I will tell my bull to stop that.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:16 am

"most of my heifers last year calved early feb."
So, "most of your heifers" calved at the age of 21 months at the youngest??? obviously, if they were born in the months of spring.
How many are you having calve in the fall at the age of 18 months? Or, in the summer, at the age of 14 months? Your statements are confusing.

"When a bull breeds them they are ready IMO. "
If you think having 5-6 month old heifers bred to calve at 14 months old or 9 months old to calve at 18 months, is good management, then I would have to "assume" you have no management. That statement indicates the bull runs free to breed anything at any time and you think that is good.
0 x

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:24 am

The math certainly does not add up here. On average they calve at 18 months but keeps a tight calving window. That's not possible with a 9 month gestation period. I'm lost also.
1 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:10 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:"most of my heifers last year calved early feb."
So, "most of your heifers" calved at the age of 21 months at the youngest??? obviously, if they were born in the months of spring.
How many are you having calve in the fall at the age of 18 months? Or, in the summer, at the age of 14 months? Your statements are confusing.

"When a bull breeds them they are ready IMO. "
If you think having 5-6 month old heifers bred to calve at 14 months old or 9 months old to calve at 18 months, is good management, then I would have to "assume" you have no management. That statement indicates the bull runs free to breed anything at any time and you think that is good.

Most of my cows are in pretty tight window, I don't have all the records right here and don't care enough to look them up for you. I just look at the ages when the have a calf and they are usually 18 months old.

yes they calve whenever, you don't know my situation right now I'm still converting a row crop farm into cattle so I don't have pens for bulls.

If you ever read BEEF magazine they agree with me that heifers can be bred at 55% mature weight, which my cows are at when they are bred.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:40 pm

Still doesn't add up. Like I stated - no management.
You may have been really, really lucky getting live calves out of 14 month old heifers, but the majority of "cattle" people would NEVER take that gamble.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:46 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Still doesn't add up. Like I stated - no management.
You may have been really, really lucky getting live calves out of 14 month old heifers, but the majority of "cattle" people would NEVER take that gamble.

its only happened 1 time, something I don't want to see either.
0 x

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:23 pm

If a calf is born in March and bred in December I bet she will have another the next fall. Kinda lost on this one
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:46 pm

Your contradictory statements make it difficult to follow your program. Either you calve spring & fall with 18 month old heifers- or you have 22-24 month old heifers calving in the spring. Which is it?
0 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”