Postby Turkeybird » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:24 pm

Anybody use em or know where to get em
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Big rubber tire water tanks

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:43 pm

The mining industry has lots of them here. I like them real well. Gonna install 4 more this winter.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:13 pm

I do not have a waterer of this kind but they use log skidder tires here.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:42 pm

Along the same line jedstivers told me last year to take a few one gallon jugs and pour a cup of salt in each. Then fill 1/4 to 1/3 with water. Place them in open tire or concrete tanks to keep from freezing. I done 6 orange juice jugs and never had to break ice all winter. But we did have a mild winter compared to many on here. I am a believer. They are still in the tire tank
1 x

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Turkeybird
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Turkeybird » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:06 am

greybeard wrote:I do not have a waterer of this kind but they use log skidder tires here.

Inside out?
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:42 am

i went to a junk yard and they had tons of them .. they were very happy I came to pick them up.
0 x

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:02 am

kenny thomas wrote:Along the same line jedstivers told me last year to take a few one gallon jugs and pour a cup of salt in each. Then fill 1/4 to 1/3 with water. Place them in open tire or concrete tanks to keep from freezing. I done 6 orange juice jugs and never had to break ice all winter. But we did have a mild winter compared to many on here. I am a believer. They are still in the tire tank

What kind of valves do you use Kenny? I believe Jed recommended Jobe; the kind with the float tied down to the valve on the bottom with a string.

Do you tie the salt water jug to the same string, something else in the bottom of the tank, or just let it float around?
0 x
J & D Cattle

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:27 am

My float is a remote that's 20ft from the tire. A cow could get in the tank and not mess anything up. Not sure the brand now.
Just let the,jugs float around.
0 x

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:56 am

I use them, and use to could find all the tires I wanted free but now I am having a hard time finding tires that do not have steel belting. Steel belted might work but don't know how to cut them.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:35 am

kenny thomas wrote:My float is a remote that's 20ft from the tire. A cow could get in the tank and not mess anything up. Not sure the brand now.

Don't go to much trouble but if you think of the brand of your float please let me know. I had a farm visit this morning and am thinking tire tanks due to cost. Local Extension guy prefers Jobe but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks
0 x
J & D Cattle

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:22 am

J&D Cattle wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:My float is a remote that's 20ft from the tire. A cow could get in the tank and not mess anything up. Not sure the brand now.

Don't go to much trouble but if you think of the brand of your float please let me know. I had a farm visit this morning and am thinking tire tanks due to cost. Local Extension guy prefers Jobe but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

i would also suggest Jobe.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:45 pm

J&D Cattle wrote:

No trouble at all. Will check tomorrow. I will take a picture if I remember and have someone post it.
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:46 pm

I use combine tires. Plenty of them here and no mining equipment tires.
I use Jobe floats
Doesn't matter about steel. You cut the sidewall out. No wire there.
Use a sawzall with a metal cutting blade. Don't hold up on the part your cutting.
Lay tire in its side and cut the sidewall on the top side. Just let it fall into the tire as you cut. If you don't you will bind your blade.
Don't have to turn tire inside out.
Once you pore the concert inside put 2-4" of water on top of it. If you don't the concret can pull away from the tire as it dries.
Concret will cure underwater just fine.
0 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:53 am

I've got about a dozen of them around the farm. Some are a little bit too small to function as well as I'd like 'em to.
Been using A.Y. McDonald float assemblies - http://m.aymcdonald.com/en-US/products/ ... loat+Valve
But... really interested in your 'remote' float, KT, because the cows or horses are all the time either breaking the float arm or actually breaking the entire float assembly and riser off.

NRCS folks here would not support or advise putting them in - mandated big concrete tanks if they were doing cost-share... but I knew NRCS had cost-shared on hundreds of them just a few counties east of here - and had touted their benefits!... but depending on who's running the show, they may not allow them... so I just did 'em on my own dime. That was the last time I bothered with chasing any of those 'government' dollars.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:24 am

Lucky_P wrote:I've got about a dozen of them around the farm. Some are a little bit too small to function as well as I'd like 'em to.
Been using A.Y. McDonald float assemblies - http://m.aymcdonald.com/en-US/products/ ... loat+Valve
But... really interested in your 'remote' float, KT, because the cows or horses are all the time either breaking the float arm or actually breaking the entire float assembly and riser off.

NRCS folks here would not support or advise putting them in - mandated big concrete tanks if they were doing cost-share... but I knew NRCS had cost-shared on hundreds of them just a few counties east of here - and had touted their benefits!... but depending on who's running the show, they may not allow them... so I just did 'em on my own dime. That was the last time I bothered with chasing any of those 'government' dollars.

you can buy jobe valves with just a ball floating on top... nothing to break.

I've had the same one feeding my animals for like 7 years now.
0 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”