Beef cow/calf in confinement

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
bmoore87
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Beef cow/calf in confinement

Postby bmoore87 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:33 am

mncowboy wrote:I priced a 36' by 80 hoop, 8' walls made of 6x6 posts. Concrete 12' alley way along the bunks with clay through the rest, two waters, two awnings, roll up doors, hired help to erect at around $52k. Hope to start in the spring. When you go beyond 36' wide, the price increases because of the hoop style changes along with what's needed beneath the post.

Sounds like you'll have a really nice a nice setup when done MN. Being able to store stuff in it when you don't got cows in it is a plus.
0 x

Engler
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Engler » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:45 pm

Devil's advocate here-

Just a thought from what I have seen in hoops that weren't full concrete. The deep bedded area was an epic disaster. The owner came back in after 2 or 3 turns and concreted the balance and it was much better. One operation, running fat cattle in it, so take it for what it's worth.

I am interested in the whole idea of doing this and have considered it myself, but there is also something to be said for the cows feeding themselves every day on grass. You said that you check them every couple days on pasture, but if the manure hits the fan and you're gone for a week the cows are probably fine. Momma wants to go to the big city of Des Moines for a long weekend, the cows are probably fine on grass. If you have the building those damned cows got to be fed every day, who do you have to do that. If you do this you're going to wear out the manure spreader twice as fast, the feed wagon twice as fast, the skid loader, and, and, and. Have you budgeted that in to the price?

If you do this I would look at a bale processor for the bedding. From what I have seen it chops up and fluffs up the cornstalks (I assume that is bedding of choice based on location) and you have to use half as much. Half as much in=half as much out.
0 x

Jake
GURU
GURU

Postby Jake » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:44 pm

Hearing from some of the feedlot guys who have been putting cows in the lot or confinement sounds like it works well with older cows. Heifers are a train wreck supposedly because they are too confined to have any idea who is who and which calf is theirs. A place for the calves to get away from the cows is key. I think the math works at today's prices I'm not sure how well it works when feeders are worth 1.20
0 x

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:38 pm

Barn would be close enough to utilize TMR that we use at dairy farm so someone always here and other cattle need feeding and barns scraped.

Jake I think area for just calves would be a huge plus.

I would still run seedstock cows and heifers on grass. The older cows and these dairy cross beef cattle would be ones I would stick in the barn that are just raising cattle for feedlot anyway
0 x

bmoore87
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby bmoore87 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:49 am

Engler wrote:Devil's advocate here-

Just a thought from what I have seen in hoops that weren't full concrete. The deep bedded area was an epic disaster. The owner came back in after 2 or 3 turns and concreted the balance and it was much better. One operation, running fat cattle in it, so take it for what it's worth.

Different kind of manure than cows fat calf manure is sloppier.

Heifers are bad if their are a lot of calves in the pen they are calving in. Cows sometimes even get confused if a couple of them calve next to each other at the same time, usually just move them into a seperate pen as they calve.
0 x

fnfarms1
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fnfarms1 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:55 am

You mentioned free standing gates. I saw an idea in Farm Show magazine that I want to try on my hay lot. Take a heavy duty post ie railroad tie or heavy pipe. Concrete it into a tractor tire, hang one gate or gates 12'-20ft off one or both sides. Have a ring or hitch on top of post. When not in use, use tractor to move it. Weight of the concrete makes it hard for cows to move, no holes to deal with. Say double 16ft gates would span over 36ft with adding post and latches
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:51 pm

Till-Hill wrote:$12-25/pair a month.
That's what I've seen built up here is 80 square foot a pair but why not let the calves have their own area? Put creep gate in and calves can get away from cows.

I think it's a smart idea to put in a creep gate for calves to come and go into a dry safe resting place as they please.
0 x

Muletrack
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Muletrack » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:45 pm

I take it these are pony wall buildings? I just need something for flat storage of DDGS. Think a stand-alone building would be OK?
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:40 am

here's my feeding barn i'm completing.Image
0 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”